The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    I know. It’s tragic. I remember Northern Ireland in the 80s. We do not want that back.

And it’s not grandeur. It’s competence. He has delusions of competence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    It's so depressing

I am coping by blasting Zombie by The Cranberries.
    *looks up the situation*

Awwww, jeez. :(

CBC is blasting Covid/Canada/Ontario crap all around here, non-stop, and I've been out of the loop of the news for the last week due to reasons. But this is awful.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Sorry to hear all that Ghost, hope that things go as well as they can.

With Ireland, I definitely don't know much with England but it does seem to be a bad time for things to erupt again there too.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Extraordinary Member

Attack on Titan is definitely a difficult series to recommend, with the uncomfortable parallels, and the stories I've heard about the creator's politics.

On the whole I think it's well written, though the last couple chapters were a bit of a thud. It's just the real world stuff that makes me very uneasy

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    With Ireland, I definitely don't know much with England but it does seem to be a bad time for things to erupt again there too.
    I mean technically we’re not talking about Ireland (which generally refers to the Republic) or England - this is Northern Ireland, an entity in its own right. But it is part of the UK, and I know a lot of people in other parts of the world don’t really understand the distinction between England, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, so use the terms interchangeably.

(And to make matters worse, our Olympics and Athletics teams are called Team GB rather than the more accurate Team UK, so if we don’t use the terms properly, how can we expect others to?)

But anyway, the timing was inevitable. Because Brexit happened. So the Northern Irish republicans are outraged because we’re no longer as closely aligned with Ireland, and because of the stupid (but largely unavoidable once Brexit became a fait accompli) deal they was done, the Northern Irish loyalists are outraged that we now have customs & trade checks between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK, thereby simultaneously crapping on both sides’ guarantees under the Good Friday Agreement.

Never underestimate the UK’s ability to punch itself in the face really, really hard. With brass knuckles. That are spiked. And poisoned.

A ghost from the past. Fervidor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Welp.

I'm not going get to into it because politics etc.

But...

I don't know about you Beadle, I for one quite enjoyed having a prolonged period of peace at the Irish Border. What a shame.

I really hope no one dies. This was pretty much always where we were going to end up since June 2016. Inescapably.

And now we have inept clown with delusions of grandeur in place to try and engineer peace for the next... 3 and a bit years.

Wait, what the exact hell?

*looks into the matter*

Huh. I still don't really get what's going on or why, but this sure sounds unfortunate. o__O

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Hey, Ghost. I'm really very sorry to hear about your situation, with your mother dying. There's little I can say that others haven't already said, here. I only hope you're taking care of yourself during this time (well, at all times, but especially now). And I'm glad you had that trip to see her - it sounds like it had a lot of impact, in a number of ways and not all of them sad.

And, as others have said, there are people here who will listen. I'm not on as much, myself, but I'm still here a fair chunk of the time.

I wish you all the best.
    Thank you, old friend. I will abide, I'm sure.

You know, I'm starting to suspect I'm the one in the family who is handling this the best. Probably because I've spent a lot of time meditating on change and loss and my own fear of oblivion. It still feels really weird, though. With all my issues, I never expected to be the strong one.

My cousin and younger brother have been staying with me at my parent's house since we got back from Uppsala, but they left today. They're going all the way to Malmö, since my brother is moving apartments and my cousin is going to help him. He told me he was reluctant to leave me all alone during these circumstances, but also that just staying in this house with nothing to do was affecting him negatively. This concept - having to distract oneself from thinking about stuff - is slightly alien to me, and I made sure to tell him that he absolutely shouldn't stick around for my sake if it was causing him distress. Heck, solitude is comforting for me. Too many people around just stresses me out, no matter how much I love them.

My dad called today and informed me that my older brother - ever the melodramatic - was worried about me being left on my own. I've always though Michael was too similar to dad - not very good at discerning his own thoughts, feeling and emotions from that of others. I called him and he told me he will visit me tomorrow evening, insistent that I should not be left alone. I can't help but think he's projecting: I'm not convinced I am the one who needs the company of family to deal with this.

Am I really the only one who prepared myself for this? Or have I simply gone a bit too cold and apathetic over time? I honestly don't know. Oh well.
    Last edited by Fervidor; 04-08-2021 at 01:06 PM.
    "This doesn't look easy. But I bet it is!"
    -Homer Simpson.

"Optimism through stalwart skepticism is a defect not everyone is lucky enough to be cursed with."
    -Homestuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Fervidor View Post
    Wait, what the exact hell?

*looks into the matter*

Huh. I still don't really get what's going on or why, but this sure sounds unfortunate. o__O

Thank you, old friend. I will abide, I'm sure.

You know, I'm starting to suspect I'm the one in the family who is handling this the best. Probably because I've spent a lot of time meditating on change and loss and my own fear of oblivion. It still feels really weird, though. With all my issues, I never expected to be the strong one.

My cousin and younger brother have been staying with me at my parent's house since we got back from Uppsala, but they left today. They're going all the way to Malmö, since my brother is moving apartments and my cousin is going to help him. He told me he was reluctant to leave me all alone during these circumstances, but also that just staying in this house with nothing to do was affecting him negatively. This concept - having to distract oneself from thinking about stuff - is slightly alien to me, and I made sure to tell him that he absolutely shouldn't stick around for my sake if it was causing him distress. Heck, solitude is comforting for me. Too many people around just stresses me out, no matter how much I love them.

My dad called today and informed me that my older brother - ever the melodramatic - was worried about me being left on my own. I've always though Michael was too similar to dad - not very good at discerning his own thoughts, feeling and emotions from that of others. I called him and he told me he will visit me tomorrow evening, insistent that I should not be left alone. I can't help but think he's projecting: I'm not convinced I am the one who needs the company of family to deal with this.

Am I really the only one who prepared myself for this? Or have I simply gone a bit too cold and apathetic over time? I honestly don't know. Oh well.
    What I have learned is that everyone handles this type of thing a little (or a lot) differently, despite what all the Psych Books suggest. Been through it three times (both myself and my husband) and we have seen a wide range of reactions from both of our families.

You sound like you are dealing with this the best way you know how.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Friends and I did a Long distance Godzilla vs Kong podcast. Please enjoy our big monke opinions and very different mic qualities!

From the Justice League/RWBY Crossover with some of the DC Chars in Remnant. Superman's Kryptonian Powers work very well as a Semblance!
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

So, I've watched the first three episodes of Invincible now.

From the perspective of someone who knows the comics really well, it feels like things have been somewhat nerfed in terms of power level I think. Not massively but Omniman seems a lot more vulnerable than before, especially compared to the crazier feats in the comics that come later.

It's a very slick production though, I'm very impressed with the quality of the writing and structuring of it all. Really good adaptation work.

And the cast is generally excellent. Seth Rogen is brilliantly cast and I can't wait to see more of him.

Yes, hell yes!

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

due to IMPACT moving, the riffdown will be on thursdays on TWK's streaming channel.

Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Extraordinary Member

DMX has passed away

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    DMX has passed away
    DMX hasn't passed away. He's still alive, but on life support.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis