In other news, they now believe T-Rex may have hunted in packs like wolves.

Note to self: Never go camping in the Upper Cretaceous period.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    I just read that chapter, and...ugh. Yeah, there's more than a little of late that feels a tad excessive.
    It raises the stakes more to make the cadres more threatening so I get why it happened and, while I like Tank Top Master, he's easily the most narratively expendable guy here so if anyone is going to get utterly worked it makes sense it's him or Puri Puri Prisoner.

But yeah, kind of excessive ultra violence in a series that hasn't really done it like this on a human character to this degree before.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    It raises the stakes more to make the cadres more threatening so I get why it happened and, while I like Tank Top Master, he's easily the most narratively expendable guy here so if anyone is going to get utterly worked it makes sense it's him or Puri Puri Prisoner.

But yeah, kind of excessive ultra violence in a series that hasn't really done it like this on a human character to this degree before.
    The series is rather upping the ante a lot.

And to be straightforward, I've been rather disturbed by the violence against the 'monsters' from time to time. I'm cool with 'must defend people from these creatures who want to kill them', but the absolute...excessiveness of some of the stuff I've seen is a little off-putting. I can't think of any examples right now, but there have been times where 'heroes' have absolutely destroyed monsters in rather sickening ways that were clearly unnecessary (I'm not talking about times in the story where they kind of needed to get excessive to put down a particular monster), or have been downright gleeful about doing it.

Given the perspective of the comic wrt some of the 'heroes', I suspect it's meant to be disturbing that way. Still, the lengths the series will go to makes for a hard read for me at times.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    IIRC characters that have their own comic series are unavailable due to legal reasons. So don't except either of those two or Tech-Jacket to make an appearance.
    Ah I see. I’ve never read the Tech-Jacket series. I’ll add that to my list.

the real takeaway here is how good the Nier soundtracks have become.

Like Nier Replicant/Gestalt (the first one) had a good soundtrack. Automata had an amazing soundtrack. The remake of Nier looks to have some fun new additions to it!
    You'd like the music for the NieR/Final Fantasy 14 crossover, then. The final part of the crossover released last week and Yoko Taro has made it clear it's a love letter for fans of his game.

spoilers:
    The final boss is a Mashup of Zero/Kaine, and you fight it in a recreation of Tokyo.
    end of spoilers
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

The series is rather upping the ante a lot.

And to be straightforward, I've been rather disturbed by the violence against the 'monsters' from time to time. I'm cool with 'must defend people from these creatures who want to kill them', but the absolute...excessiveness of some of the stuff I've seen is a little off-putting. I can't think of any examples right now, but there have been times where 'heroes' have absolutely destroyed monsters in rather sickening ways that were clearly unnecessary (I'm not talking about times in the story where they kind of needed to get excessive to put down a particular monster), or have been downright gleeful about doing it.

Given the perspective of the comic wrt some of the 'heroes', I suspect it's meant to be disturbing that way. Still, the lengths the series will go to makes for a hard read for me at times.
    I definitely have a sense of detachment from the violence against monsters. They are often non-human looking and it's more in the line of "opponent is splatted," which doesn't trigger a specific twinge in me because it's violence that is so abstracted from the human form.

The Tank Top Master stuff is specifically a human form and it's much more in the vein of like "horrendous compound fractures," and so on which is a lot more visceral and therefore more disquieting.

I'm not bothered by the glee or whatever, the lack of moral compass of a lot of heroes is part of the theming of the story so I'm like "yeah, they are into this," and such. It's more the messed up human form thing that gets me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    You'd like the music for the NieR/Final Fantasy 14 crossover, then. The final part of the crossover released last week and Yoko Taro has made it clear it's a love letter for fans of his game.

spoilers:
    The final boss is a Mashup of Zero/Kaine, and you fight it in a recreation of Tokyo.
    end of spoilers
    I'll see if I can find it to listen to while I'm working today ^_^

I'll see if I can find it to listen to while I'm working today ^_^
    Click at your own risk, spoilers ahead.

I'd actually recommend a lot of Final Fantasy 14s music, while the game (an MMO) certainly isn't for everyone. They've found a sweet spot with the music, especially now that they're experimenting more.

For example.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

I definitely have a sense of detachment from the violence against monsters. They are often non-human looking and it's more in the line of "opponent is splatted," which doesn't trigger a specific twinge in me because it's violence that is so abstracted from the human form.

The Tank Top Master stuff is specifically a human form and it's much more in the vein of like "horrendous compound fractures," and so on which is a lot more visceral and therefore more disquieting.

I'm not bothered by the glee or whatever, the lack of moral compass of a lot of heroes is part of the theming of the story so I'm like "yeah, they are into this," and such. It's more the messed up human form thing that gets me.
    I get that. The Tank Top Master thing is kind of a visually disturbing thing because of squeamishness, pain-empathy, and - to be frank - shock at the sight of this happening to someone who until this point has been rather above this sort of thing.

It's kind of a gut-level disgust/horror.

The glee of the heroes and suffering of the monsters is, for me, is one of the things I find profoundly disturbing in a less visceral sense (to borrow your word) and a more emotional/intellectual way. And yes, to some extent the pain and suffering of the monsters as well - most of them were messed-up people who have taken the decision to become what they are, but not all, and out-right feeling happy about inflicting pain and suffering on messed-up people is...ugh, messed-up, leaving me feeling like many of the heroes are, in the end, no better than what they face (I could, for example, see a lot of these personalities choosing to become monsters and inflict suffering for gratification had they not gotten superpowers and become 'heroes'). And like you say, the lack of moral compass on the part of these 'heroes' that society lionizes is certainly part of the story, so I feel it's intentionally disturbing, that the writer meant to give me that feeling.

There's this whole 'power corrupts', 'stare too long into the abyss and the abyss stares back', and so forth in the themes. I mean, one of the interesting things about Saitama's character is that he HAS become basically the ultimate power around...but he's just bored. All he wants to do is hang with his friends and play video games. His character is such that he hasn't been corrupted by this system/human issue.

But the manga can leave me feeling quite unsettled.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Click at your own risk, spoilers ahead.

I'd actually recommend a lot of Final Fantasy 14s music, while the game (an MMO) certainly isn't for everyone. They've found a sweet spot with the music, especially now that they're experimenting more.

For example.
    I'm gonna have a look...

I have soundtracks to both Final Fantasy 13 and 15, and maaaaan, they're good to listen to when driving in a car. Which, given Final Fantasy 15, isn't surprising.

Boy, that game was a disappointment (for me). Beautiful, gorgeous, story...then a kazillion fetch/kill-missions later with an annoying combat system, and a coop multiplayer that basically DIDN'T work (and needed them to rehaul it and release it months and months later) and I was done before I finished the game. Best part about it was really driving around in the car. ^_^
    Why are we here?

Ugh, yeah.

The whole King in Black thing was rather silly, and ignored stuff like 'logic' and 'continuity' and 'established character traits'...have you read the end, yet?

spoilers:
    Where Eddie Brock/Venom inexplicably takes control of Mjolnir from Thor and somehow combines it with the Sufer's board into an axe?
    end of spoilers

It reads like the writer was high. What it was, I suspect, was they had a 'You know what would be SO COOL?' 8-year-old moment - exclusive to them, not to anyone else - and decided to roll with it.
    So the King in Black is basically the whole "look how awesome/cool this character is and screw continuity/logic/etc." for the symbiotes in general and Eddie Brock/Venom in particular. And say what you want about Death Battle's logic/results, but this quote pretty much sums up reactions to the (unnecessary) retcons to the Klyntar:

"And I bet next up Marvel decides they're magic maple syrup people from Asgardian I-Hop. But OK! Cosmic sludge made by alien Satan. Let's go with that."
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    Shoot her! SHOOOOOOOOOOOOOT HER!!!
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator