Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    For me, he basically become a Whedon-esque parody of himself. Lots of attempts at humor in the script, but none of the actual impact he had in the Thor movies. None of the emotion. None of the depth. Also no connection to that depth, given how they set it up.

Was like a copy, to me - a very shallow one.

Mileage may vary.
    It gets worse the further in you get.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

I liked Loki fine in the show. The only thing for me was the show stops letting characters breathe or have nuance the more you go IMO.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Eh... the way it almost immediately changes Loki as a character (and this specific Loki being)

spoilers:
    the Avengers 2012 one.
    end of spoilers is pretty rough. If Sharp already feels the guy is Loki-in-name-Only, it really doesn't get better.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Well I se it as a change that could happen bc of the dramatic nature of the situation. It's a big change, that first episode, but the circumstances are also large.

I already kind of alluded to it not getting better, but just stated my opinion on the character overall there, not as a recommendation.
    -Stephen McCranie

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Eh... the way it almost immediately changes Loki as a character (and this specific Loki being)

spoilers:
    the Avengers 2012 one.
    end of spoilers is pretty rough. If Sharp already feels the guy is Loki-in-name-Only, it really doesn't get better.
    So you’re saying it’s a low-key affair.

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Yeaaaaah...Marvel feels somewhat lacking in imagination these days.

Don't read this one. You'll hate it.

spoilers:
    Thor has memory problems. Because he's immortal. -_-
    end of spoilers
    Considering they also spoilers:
    had Danny Rand give away his powers while stating that he always sucked at being Iron Fist and seem to be digging up the Clone saga again by having Petey replaced by Ben Reilly (again),
    end of spoilers I'd say don't read Marvel Comics period.

Is it any wonder why manga is currently crushing American comics in sales in the US market?
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    Well I se it as a change that could happen bc of the dramatic nature of the situation. It's a big change, that first episode, but the circumstances are also large.

I already kind of alluded to it not getting better, but just stated my opinion on the character overall there, not as a recommendation.
    I agree with you.

He pretty much got the full download of his fate in episode one. Like, 2012 Loki saw Frigga die, Malekith attack, saw Ragnarok (his world die), and then saw the person who hurt him previously (Thanos) kill him and got to see his brother cry over his dead body.

Then he gets told it was always supposed to happen that way.

Thats’s…….probably going to change a guy.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    Considering they also spoilers:
    had Danny Rand give away his powers while stating that he always sucked at being Iron Fist and seem to be digging up the Clone saga again by having Petey replaced by Ben Reilly (again),
    end of spoilers I'd say don't read Marvel Comics period.

Is it any wonder why manga is currently crushing American comics in sales in the US market?
    To be honest, the sales issue the US Market faces is more to do with the business model that they use, than the writing quality.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post

Well I guess the issue I have with what happened is that you have him express doubts about the truth of it; Owen Wilson says "it's true though" and just goes "oh, okay. It's true." There's no actual character development, just some cheeky meta-montagery and BAM, the guy who just tried to kill the Avengers/Earth and is REALLY SUPER CAREFUL about showing his true self (leans into illusions A TON) is now actually concerned about the welfare of others and doesn't rely on his skills. I could see this happening over time (the character development, not the bumbling incompetence), but within a single episode? Big oof.

It's an issue that seems to be cropping up more and more with Phase 4 (notably with Wanda, and Walker); where the writers want you to see a character a certain way but are unwilling or outright incapable of actually giving you a good reason... so they just jump to the payoff and use music and and editing to trick people.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    So you’re saying it’s a low-key affair.
    A low-key disaster, more like.

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Absolutely cracking chapter of Jojolion this month.

I do love it when JJBA gets horror-esq and this is certainly that in spades.
    Who knew the series would end with a woman once possessed by Jesus* vs a hungry guardrail.

Extraordinary Member

Well I guess the issue I have with what happened is that you have him express doubts about the truth of it; Owen Wilson says "it's true though" and just goes "oh, okay. It's true." There's no actual character development, just some cheeky meta-montagery and BAM, the guy who just tried to kill the Avengers/Earth and is REALLY SUPER CAREFUL about showing his true self (leans into illusions A TON) is now actually concerned about the welfare of others and doesn't rely on his skills. I could see this happening over time (the character development, not the bumbling incompetence), but within a single episode? Big oof.

It's an issue that seems to be cropping up more and more with Phase 4 (notably with Wanda, and Walker); where the writers want you to see a character a certain way but are unwilling or outright incapable of actually giving you a good reason... so they just jump to the payoff and use music and and editing to trick people.
    The way I've seen it explained is that prior to this, Loki was putting up walls around himself because he didn't believe there was any road left for him except that of a villain. Seeing his future, seeing that Thor was capable of forgiving him, and that he was capable of being a good man, broke down his walls, and made him start letting his better nature show through

Well as Mobius said, "Time works differently here"

Just kidding.
    -Stephen McCranie

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    I agree with you.

He pretty much got the full download of his fate in episode one. Like, 2012 Loki saw Frigga die, Malekith attack, saw Ragnarok (his world die), and then saw the person who hurt him previously (Thanos) kill him and got to see his brother cry over his dead body.

Then he gets told it was always supposed to happen that way.

Thats’s…….probably going to change a guy.
    and loki decided to be more than what was expected. moebius asked a lot of solid questions to loki on ep 1: why do you want to conquer and rule? why do you hurt people? do you enjoy it?

that, combined with learning of his fate, of how the time line works and how truly small he is in the grand scheme of things, could change a guy.