Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    Edens Zero: So, we enter our first major timeskip.
    It's a good place for it and really well set up.

I do also appreciate that Shiki's perspective of Ziggy has shifted and how that aided in Shiki's decision to take a more proactive stance to Ziggy as a threat.

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Reading a manga named Kino's Journey. It's quite good, if one likes some pretty direct metaphors for what happens in our own world (ie, pretty good old school sci-fi).
    Aw, man, dat anime is a CLAYSIK!

It started as a series of Light Novels, but only the first one ever got translated to English officially. There are unofficial translations, though. The show covers everything in the first volume and a bit beyond, but I would say it's worth looking into because you get Kino's direct thoughts for a slightly different outlook on the events compared to the show which is more of a third person view with Kino as your tour guide. The show (at least the original series), is very artsy. I didn't know there was a manga, so I'll have to look that up.

Actually, I don't know if I would enjoy it as much today, I saw it right when I was getting into anime, and I hadn't really seen an overtly philosophical show like that before, so the novelty might not hold up. However, I still enjoyed it for being kinda out there even for anime standards in terms of ruminating on concepts and such, without being over the top weird with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    It's something of a classic I've heard.
    See? :V

A lot of different anime variations of it as I recall as well.
    There was the 2003 series, an OVA and a prequel movie that I believe are all canon to each other, and I think there may have been a couple shorts tied in.

In 2017 they did a second series, but I haven't seen it yet, so I don't know if it's a continuation or a reboot. Honestly, the series is so episodic in nature, short of outright redoing the origin episode, it'd be easy for them to just pick up where they left off. Something else to check out!
    Last edited by Sharkerbob; 11-24-2021 at 10:54 AM.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    Aw, man, dat anime is a CLAYSIK!

It started as a series of Light Novels, but only the first one ever got translated to English officially. There are unofficial translations, though. The show covers everything in the first volume and a bit beyond, but I would say it's worth looking into because you get Kino's direct thoughts for a slightly different outlook on the events compared to the show which is more of a third person view with Kino as your tour guide. The show (at least the original series), is very artsy. I didn't know there was a manga, so I'll have to look that up.

Actually, I don't know if I would enjoy it as much today, I saw it right when I was getting into anime, and I hadn't really seen an overtly philosophical show like that before, so the novelty might not hold up. However, I still enjoyed it for being kinda out there even for anime standards in terms of ruminating on concepts and such, without being over the top weird with it.

See? :V

There was the 2003 series, an OVA and a prequel movie that I believe are all canon to each other, and I think there may have been a couple shorts tied in.

In 2017 they did a second series, but I haven't seen it yet, so I don't know if it's a continuation or a reboot. Honestly, the series is so episodic in nature, short of outright redoing the origin episode, it'd be easy for them to just pick up where they left off. Something else to check out!
    Well, right now I'm reading the manga. I don't know where I'd find the Anime, but if I do, I'd be willing to watch it.

Manga is really good; very philosophical, as you note. ^_^
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Well, right now I'm reading the manga. I don't know where I'd find the Anime, but if I do, I'd be willing to watch it.

Manga is really good; very philosophical, as you note. ^_^
    Yeah, I got it on DVD, think right around the time they were starting to bundle whole seasons of shows into slim packs way back when.

:thinking:

Crunchyroll and Funimation streamed the newer season, that might be the place to look if you can't find it in a bargain bin blue ray. :V

Huh, looks like the manga hasn't even gotten that far, but the Light Novels are still going! It's nice to see the series get a revival in other mediums after so long.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Current manga I'm reading has eight volumes, each one having aboooout...175 pages. So it's FAIRLY hefty, but not excessive. Got a ways to go before I finish it. ^_^
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Hm. As you say, remains to be seen, but if they're pushing for Dark YA adaptation of the series to try to grab a 'bigger' audience (when, honestly, WoT had a huge audience to begin with), not sure how that'll pan out with the fans.

So what's the reasoning behind the braides?
    After seeing the episodes after fortunately I think they were a notable improvement. Leaving the village and getting into new spaces/situations let the setting/characters breathe a bit more and feel more like fantasy things instead of the first episode where they kind of still felt like cheaper imitations of fantasy things that I associate with some YA stuff. The choices for changes to darken things in a way I found offputting were also less prevalent in those episodes, so maybe that was just something added for the pilot episode.

I still definitely see a bunch of things which were cut and I'm pretty sure didn't happen but the later two episodes did a good enough job with character focus/worldbuilding/changes that still fit the slightly different world that they're going for that I'm eager for more episodes.

In addition to those points though, the series definitely has more emphasis on gore and to a lesser extent people bhaving relationships/physical intimacy than in the books I think, at least this early on. I think this is a part of why they aged the characters up a bunch; I think they must be like in their late 20s here instead of the books where they're teens, so that the fact that one of the characters has a whole wife now and
    one of the characters makes reference to preferring women of Moiraine's (apparent) age make sense instead of being weird lol

So what's the reasoning behind the braides?
    I'm realizing as I watch that I might not remember as much as I thought, so maybe the reasoning for this scene was actually mentioned in the books and I forgot, but basically in the series there's a whole scene where one of the braid girls gets a coming of age moment and is told that now that her hair is braided the braid represents her connection to the village. She then passes the coming of age test and awakens from unconsciousness prominently clutching her braid.

However after that there were no braid moments so time will tell whether the true WoT trademark will be seen
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Current manga I'm reading has eight volumes, each one having aboooout...175 pages. So it's FAIRLY hefty, but not excessive. Got a ways to go before I finish it. ^_^
    Oh, oh, I was looking at the wrong one! LOL

There's a spin-off manga and that's only 3 volumes, but I see now the main manga is listed at 7 (going off wiki, probably 8 now if it hasn't been updated).

Neat.

Last edited by Len Ikari145; 11-24-2021 at 07:05 PM.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

HAPPY GET FAT AND BE GRATEFUL DAY!

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Happy Gobble-Gobble!
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

HAPPY THANKSGIVING... to everyone else.

Not doing Thanksgiving today, because my cousin doesn't 'celebrate' holidays, so we're doing it tomorrow. Because apparently having Thanksgiving on Thanksgiving isn't OK, but doing it a day later and calling it "Friendsgiving" is perfectly fine.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Happy Thanksgiving, Muricans!

Extraordinary Member

Happy Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

Happy Thanksgiving.