Page 664 of 2459 FirstFirst ... 16456461465466066166266366466566666766867471476411641664 ... LastLast
Results 9,946 to 9,960 of 36875

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Saw that. O_o Let's see how far it gets.
    Nice country you got here. Be a shame if something happened to the Eastern half of it.

I'm sure this fills US allies with confidence. ^_^;

The parallels to Watergate are plain as day: Illegally using the power of the presidency to dig for dirt on political opponents. But where Nixon at least kept it in the country, Trump tried to intimidate a foreign country into interfering in US elections.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

I'm really not sure there's anything Trump can do at this point to fill US allies with LESS confidence.

I don't know what people hear in the US these days about how the 'allied' countries feel, but the prevailing attitudes seem to be 'welp, time to start looking for a new friend.'

...unless you're talking about US/Trump allies like Putin, Bolasanaro, and Kim Jong Un. Which I doubt.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

I'm really not sure there's anything Trump can do at this point to fill US allies with LESS confidence.

I don't know what people hear in the US these days about how the 'allied' countries feel, but the prevailing attitudes seem to be 'welp, time to start looking for a new friend.'

...unless you're talking about US/Trump allies like Putin, Bolasanaro, and Kim Jong Un. Which I doubt.
    Oh, he's completely ruined overseas/border relations.

What's even more depressing however, is the people that still believe he's the second coming. I deal with them every single day; and every single day I can't help but wonder how people can be so ... ignorant. Especially when the people who support the man (and I deal with) rely on Medicare/Medicaid.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Oh, he's completely ruined overseas/border relations.
    It's really going to be hard for country leaders (and other countries in general) to just 'trust' the US again after this. Even if some new leader gets elected who runs around trying to get the US back to where it was internationally, how are people to trust that 'another' Trump won't just get elected again? Especially with the current massive political divide in the US?

What's even more depressing however, is the people that still believe he's the second coming. I deal with them every single day; and every single day I can't help but wonder how people can be so ... ignorant. Especially when the people who support the man (and I deal with) rely on Medicare/Medicaid.
    I admit, one of the most baffling things is the fact that some people feel God sent Trump to save His favorite country.

..I imagine the same people feel that they have a 'God-Given' right to carry guns.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Hey, it’s not all power-crazed dictators. He’s also friends with Boris Johnson.

What?

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Hey, it’s not all power-crazed dictators. He’s also friends with Boris Johnson.

What?
    I need one of those diagrams that overlap with 'Idiots', 'Power Crazed Dictators', and...one other category, surprise me, where I can start slotting in names.
    Why are we here?

It's really going to be hard for country leaders (and other countries in general) to just 'trust' the US again after this. Even if some new leader gets elected who runs around trying to get the US back to where it was internationally, how are people to trust that 'another' Trump won't just get elected again? Especially with the current massive political divide in the US?
    All Empires (or Global powers .. at least nowadays) end, just how it works. And in that way, Trump got what he wanted in the end. To be remembered ... as the man who precipitated that fall.

Of course, in a way he's just the figurehead for the congealed will of the worst the US has to offer so. Who knows, there's a chance we can rebound, however small.

I admit, one of the most baffling things is the fact that some people feel God sent Trump to save His favorite country.

..I imagine the same people feel that they have a 'God-Given' right to carry guns.
    He's a very good con man, and he's built his political career by speaking what other people are feeling and pandering to the people that feel that way. Which, regrettably, means he's pandering to the religious. Which means he's got a lot more power than he would normally.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Good points.

...I'm still baffled, but nevertheless, good points. ^_^
    Why are we here?

I need one of those diagrams that overlap with 'Idiots', 'Power Crazed Dictators', and...one other category, surprise me, where I can start slotting in names.
    Hmmm.... what to choose for the Trump Venn Diagram...

Sexually inappropriate? (Trump and Johnson)
    Ludicrous hair? (Trump, Johnson and Kim)

I’ve said it before, Trump is an amalgam of several Simpsons characters.

Bart (troublemaking child), Homer (overweight moron), Mr Burns (self-obsessed billionaire), Krusty (sexually-inappropriate clown) and Sideshow Bob (cartoon super-villain with ridiculous hair). Plus he has yellow skin.

The law and religion have historically been deeply intertwined, leading to secular headaches in the present day. The nobility ruled through "divine right," and through this granted rights to the people as they saw fit. This notion was challenged those arguing that people have god-given natural rights. The idea of natural rights remains strong today, though progressives tend to associate them less with being God-given.

Even among my lawyer friends, it's difficult to find anyone who'll voice agreement with my take that rights are social structures we pull out of our asses. There's nothing inherent about a right, just a notion that it should exist and maybe a law to back that up.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Hmmm.... what to choose for the Trump Venn Diagram...
    Yeah, that's the one. I was considering Radically Religous, and there are a WEALTH of choices for that one.

But I'll just pass in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Falcon View Post
    The law and religion have historically been deeply intertwined, leading to secular headaches in the present day. The nobility ruled through "divine right," and through this granted rights to the people as they saw fit. This notion was challenged those arguing that people have god-given natural rights. The idea of natural rights remains strong today, though progressives tend to associate them less with being God-given.
    It's unfortunate, but true.

Even among my lawyer friends, it's difficult to find anyone who'll voice agreement with my take that rights are social structures we pull out of our asses. There's nothing inherent about a right, just a notion that it should exist and maybe a law to back that up.
    I can see that. Maybe people forget that just because they're social structures doesn't mean they aren't good for us and we need them to maintain a hopefully increasingly fair and decent society, but our structure of morality.

...boy, it's ALL predicated on made-up stuff, isn't it? But where would we be without it? Might makes right, I expect.
    Why are we here?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Cool fight, they certainly trust scaling and statements more than we do around here.

I certainly don't remember Hiei just flat out ignoring fire and lightning attacks on par with the stuff Sasuke throws around.

And they rely a lot on that explosion thing between two characters that aren't Hiei.
    Last edited by Dark Soul # 7; 09-25-2019 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Falcon View Post
    Probably because it's more complicated than "everything's an ass pull"; and saying so is rather reductive ?

Arx Inosaan

Yeah, that's the one. I was considering Radically Religous, and there are a WEALTH of choices for that one.

But I'll just pass in the end.

It's unfortunate, but true.

I can see that. Maybe people forget that just because they're social structures doesn't mean they aren't good for us and we need them to maintain a hopefully increasingly fair and decent society, but our structure of morality.

...boy, it's ALL predicated on made-up stuff, isn't it? But where would we be without it? Might makes right, I expect.
    Yeah, just because it's artificial doesn't mean it's bad. Being natural doesn't mean good either. And then there's how each person views what counts as good and bad. Pulling new rights out of our collective asses is a serious undertaking.

Asha'rah (was) and Genevieve (is) fun to write partially because they're driven by very different moral forces than most people.

Well. The Path to Hell (or at the very least 'being held accountable for one's horrific actions') is paved with good intention, surely.

Arx Inosaan