The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Twister View Post
    Rewatching High&Low The Movie and...I don't know why but watching the final fight amused me in the choice of music.

Like you think Mugen Road being played in the background would mean some heroic second wind for Cobra, Yamato, and Tsukumo as Kohaku basically beat them up rather handily...And nah, despite getting some hits it doesn't do much.

...Then I remember Kohaku was the leader of Mugen (or at least the most authoritative figure given it was intially made between friends) ...So Mugen Road may as well be his kick ass song and it shows.

Can't argue with that...Mugen Road is awesome.
    Mugen Road IS a great song, to be sure.

I think it was playing simply because the four people fighting were all former Mugen members. ^_^ With a past, and shared experiences, and friendships. And that's what enabled the group to...basically win the fight, despite the fact that, as you Kohaku was simply brutalizing them (even Tsukumo was looking pretty mangled, and he's stupidly tough even for that series).

Or maybe, as you say, it was a nod to the fact that Kohaku was laying waste to everyone. ^_^

If they had the two semi-pro fighters from Mugen (pictured in the group shot above, behind Kohaku and to the far right), it might have gone differently.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Mugen Road IS a great song, to be sure.

I think it was playing simply because the four people fighting were all former Mugen members. ^_^ With a past, and shared experiences, and friendships. And that's what enabled the group to...basically win the fight, despite the fact that, as you Kohaku was simply brutalizing them (even Tsukumo was looking pretty mangled, and he's stupidly tough even for that series).

Or maybe, as you say, it was a nod to the fact that Kohaku was laying waste to everyone. ^_^

If they had the two semi-pro fighters from Mugen (pictured in the group shot above, behind Kohaku and to the far right), it might have gone differently.
    Yeah, it was very fitting given their history. After all, Kohaku was like their big brother figure.

It was indeed more of talking him down than needing to knock him out but man...That was brutal. I forgot if the show explained what happened to the other two members of the main 7 .

Yeah, it was very fitting given their history. After all, Kohaku was like their big brother figure.
    Truth.

It was indeed more of talking him down than needing to knock him out but man...That was brutal.
    Absolutely. Kohaku basically beat them down, outmuscled all three at once (even with Yamato and Tsukumo O_o), and delivered about two hits to every one they got in on him. They were wrecked and he was looking a little bruised (granted, all three were kind of beat up already when it was a 3-against 1 situation, so if all three were fresh he might have a harder time); he was cleanly winning the fight until they shook his certitude, which started him spiralling to the point where he basically...gave up. Even when they were hitting him in that state it wasn't putting him down. ^_^ Eventually he just turned away from the fight.

Which actually dovetails nicely, math-wise. Kohaku > Tsukumo + Cobra + Yamato. Kohaku = 1 Amamiya. Kohaku + Tsukumo + Cobra + Yamato < 2 Amamiya. All of these have been observed, and are consistent (an odd thing in entertainment!).

...which means 1 Amamiya > Tsukumo + Cobra + Yamato, but we kind of already knew that.

Makes me wonder where Tatsuya would have sat, had he lived.

I forgot if the show explained what happened to the other two members of the main 7 .
    They actually went to America to become pro-fighters. O_o MMA, I guess, or maybe boxing.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

Absolutely. Kohaku basically beat them down, outmuscled all three at once (even with Yamato and Tsukumo O_o), and delivered about two hits to every one they got in on him. They were wrecked and he was looking a little bruised (granted, all three were kind of beat up already when it was a 3-against 1 situation, so if all three were fresh he might have a harder time); he was cleanly winning the fight until they shook his certitude, which started him spiralling to the point where he basically...gave up. Even when they were hitting him in that state it wasn't putting him down. ^_^ Eventually he just turned away from the fight.

Which actually dovetails nicely, math-wise. Kohaku > Tsukumo + Cobra + Yamato. Kohaku = 1 Amamiya. Kohaku + Tsukumo + Cobra + Yamato < 2 Amamiya. All of these have been observed, and are consistent (an odd thing in entertainment!).

...which means 1 Amamiya > Tsukumo + Cobra + Yamato, but we kind of already knew that.

Makes me wonder where Tatsuya would have sat, had he lived.

They actually went to America to become pro-fighters. O_o MMA, I guess, or maybe boxing.
    That is nice there is a clear gap really. Yeah, I wonder bout Tatsuya as well.

As for those two? ...Damn. Mugen was for a time The Group.

That is nice there is a clear gap really.
    Yep. None of this 'On any given day, any one of the top characters could potentially win.'

As for those two? ...Damn. Mugen was for a time The Group.
    I can't recall if we saw a lot of the two guys who left, but they looked at least in Tsukumo's range, if not tougher.
    Why are we here?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    Alright, I said I'd do it, so here we go.

There's 23 days remaining till Christmas, but the carols insist this holiday runs for 12 days. Therefore for arbitrary reasons I'mma halve that and open 6 slots for character drawings.

In the interests of time - we're going full-body this time - the result will be a bit less polished than the last bunch, and will be somewhat rougher than this piece.

(Shoutouts to KingofPie, Cleric, DBM and Sasheem)

If you want, write-in here - or DM me - some information about your original characters:

- General appearance notes, including visual aids if possible
    - Some character notes and history
    - And we'll just kinda see what happens

Queue:

1) Jcogginsa
    2)
    3)
    4)
    5)
    6)
    I have now sent a message.

If you need anything else, just let me know.

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

This...could take a while.

I mean, standouts would be the gang leaders, Kohaku, and the Amamiya brothers. After that, Yamato.

Hmmm...not sure I could. I mean, I could get a cat in blue plaid or something like that for Murayama, but it wouldn't encompass his personality. Same with the others. Whereas a lot of Rocky's immediate recognition DOES come from how he dresses (dude does have a personality, but his dress-style is more 'standout' than the other leaders).

Anything I could find on the others would be ridiculously basic, like...okay, here's two.

Attachment 102806
    Hiroto Amamiya.
    Wouldn't that be Hiroto Amameowya then?
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Has anyone here seen the Korean...action? movie The Witch Part 1? It's mostly bad but has a fun villain/action scene or two
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    Has anyone here seen the Korean...action? movie The Witch Part 1? It's mostly bad but has a fun villain/action scene or two
    I tried watching it but I had a hard time getting into it.

Quote Originally Posted by FistofIron View Post
    I tried watching it but I had a hard time getting into it.
    Well it basically only has action in the last 30 minutes or something, so if you dropped out before then you missed out. All the good parts are probably on youtube tho so I'll probs just make a vs thread to show that off.
    -Stephen McCranie

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    Wouldn't that be Hiroto Amameowya then?
    ...I don't do puns, but if I did that would be a decent one.

Seen it advertised, but never watched it, Might have a look.

Does it have endlessly long scenes with people staring at each other while the same song plays in the background as every other time this happened? Yes, I've watched some K-Dramas.
    Why are we here?

Seen it advertised, but never watched it, Might have a look.

Does it have endlessly long scenes with people staring at each other while the same song plays in the background as every other time this happened? Yes, I've watched some K-Dramas.
    Well truthfully am unsure if I would really recommend lol, more seeing if anyone has seen.

The best way to describe it is the first 1/2 or maybe 3/4 of the film is the protagonist not showing her capabilities, but then in the last 1/4 she busts out due to villains showing.

The early parts are mostly droll korean family life type stuff which is a chore. The later parts do have some of the cooler action scenes I recall seeing recently but I don't know if it makes up if you couldnt stand the early parts lol
    -Stephen McCranie

Well truthfully am unsure if I would really recommend lol, more seeing if anyone has seen.

The best way to describe it is the first 1/2 or maybe 3/4 of the film is the protagonist not showing her capabilities, but then in the last 1/4 she busts out due to villains showing.

The early parts are mostly droll korean family life type stuff which is a chore. The later parts do have some of the cooler action scenes I recall seeing recently but I don't know if it makes up if you couldnt stand the early parts lol
    I'm always up for cultural stuff that doesn't involve 'accepting abuse from parents because they're your parents and you must honor them' (which, sadly, has been a point in a couple of the things I've watched, ugh).
    Why are we here?

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Has anyone here seen the Korean...action? movie The Witch Part 1? It's mostly really fucking good but has a fun villain/action scene or two
    Fixed that for you. ^_^

That movie is an intense and very engaging mood piece from the off. I really enjoyed it from top to bottom.

Ending is a bit weak because it's sequel bait-y (the film is called Part 1 so hardly suprising) but there's some incredibly strong film-making and performances in it. Would strongly recommend. It's a slow burn but it's a good one.