Page 2502 of 2506 FirstFirst ... 15022002240224522492249824992500250125022503250425052506 LastLast
Results 37,516 to 37,530 of 37583
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    BioWare went into panic mode over the Dragonage trailer reception and put out about 25 seconds of tomorrow’s gameplay trailer as a teaser and it does look about a thousand times better, which begs the question, how on Earth did the original trailer get greenlit in the first place
    As they should have. That trailer was painful.

The teaser does look a whole lot better. I'm a little dumbfounded by how they've decided to go from 'dark gritty fantasy' (Origins, DA2, and mostly Inquisition) to 'dark, nigh-Final-Fantasy with gigantic floating structures above slums', but otherwise I'm happier with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    I started rereading a long book I liked a lot as a teen and always intended to revisit later in life. I've had it stuck at like 10% for a while and in the past week have managed to make it to a little more than 50%.

Problem is that with each page I think i like it less and less. Now I more than not, just want to be done and go to more interesting ones.

Only like...250 pages left...wonder if I should just cut it short at this point lol
    Tastes change. Dare I ask the title of the book?

If a book isn't doing it for me, I drop it and move on; time is precious to me. I used to force myself through entire series that weren't very good (long ago); Stephen R. Lawhead's Dragon King trilogy taught me to drop that idea.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 06-11-2024 at 08:37 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    This looks good and is actually coming out on Xbox. O_o Might need to get it. Will see how the reviews look.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Preorders for collector's edition of Metal Gear Solid Delta: Snake eater are sold out for both PS5 and Xbox series X. Lot of people must really want that miniature terrarium with the miniature Snake figurine inside.
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

OCS with no artwork: Amazing Gal ( Meta) , Johnny Wolf ( human) , Fang ( Anthropomorphic Great Dane), Helga Stonewall ( Troll/ Bearfolk), Victoria Stonewall ( Troll / Bearfolk), Jenkins Stonewall , Sophia Stonewall ( Troll / Bearfolk), David Stonewall , The Amazon Queen Corinethia Xykiaff ( Troll / Bearfolk), Rocky Stonewall, Barracus Stonewall ( Troll / Bearfolk), Bell Stonewall ( Troll / Bearfolk),

alright full gameplay trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    As they should have. That trailer was painful.

The teaser does look a whole lot better. I'm a little dumbfounded by how they've decided to go from 'dark gritty fantasy' (Origins, DA2, and mostly Inquisition) to 'dark, nigh-Final-Fantasy with gigantic floating structures above slums', but otherwise I'm happier with this one.
    I read that apparently there was a tv series that came out that was a prequel for this game, which was *much* more Critical Role in style, so I guess the trailer/game might lean that way. I would not prefer that but we'll see.

Tastes change. Dare I ask the title of the book?

If a book isn't doing it for me, I drop it and move on; time is precious to me. I used to force myself through entire series that weren't very good (long ago); Stephen R. Lawhead's Dragon King trilogy taught me to drop that idea.
    It would be The Four fingers of Death.

I found it at times questionable in the first half but overall mostly liked it. Then it hits the second half where you're thrust into a new setting and set of characters and it all goes awry because I found them to be some of the more annoying characters I've encountered in a while. There's multiple attempts by the author to create parodies/caricatures of young folks in a near future setting and the author is hit and miss with accuracy and all of them are generally just cringy, maybe partially because the author isn't young himself at that point. You can shuffle part of that off on the author character telling the frame story of the novel but it's still a lot of eye rolling.

It's also a case where a fair amount of the strengths of the first half become weaknesses as the writer's indulgent steam of consciousness prose for characters no longer is profound or impactful (for given degrees of that, the first half wasn't perfect on the reread either but it had its moments still and all the parts I remember liking I still mostly liked). Instead that styling just becomes really obnoxious as characters just start listing out items related to their issue or thought and the issue or thought usually isn't that interesting to merit this for me. This can go on for paragraphs which worked in the first half and really doesn't in the second.

And related to the cringiness I mentioned before, its in the second half I got more and more pictures of how the author views big picture issues like how the world works, politics, and sex, and even though it's not exactly *problematic* for the most part it's like 60% of the time cringy, or just plain not how things work from how I understand it and inaccurate.

I think I will finish this because I've adapted to the book now and can speed through it, because I want to fully finish it and have a picture of it in my head and put it aside maybe forever, but I definitely realize now why I remember very little from the latter half of the book lol. It's being carried along because of a general snappiness/wittiness of the prose (when its not doing blocks of stream of consciousness text about nothing) which I appreciated from the start and the memory of really liking the ending

And yeah I wouldn't normally do this, but the book has been something I've been wanting to revisit for a while so that's part of the motivator for me.
    Last edited by Postmania; 06-11-2024 at 09:44 AM.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

I preordered the standard edition of Metal Gear Solid Delta: Snake eater, because 200 dollars is not worth it just for a miniature terrarium with the miniature Snake figurine inside, trinkets, and a steel book case.
    My Forum check it out

OCS with no artwork: Amazing Gal ( Meta) , Johnny Wolf ( human) , Fang ( Anthropomorphic Great Dane), Helga Stonewall ( Troll/ Bearfolk), Victoria Stonewall ( Troll / Bearfolk), Jenkins Stonewall , Sophia Stonewall ( Troll / Bearfolk), David Stonewall , The Amazon Queen Corinethia Xykiaff ( Troll / Bearfolk), Rocky Stonewall, Barracus Stonewall ( Troll / Bearfolk), Bell Stonewall ( Troll / Bearfolk),

alright full gameplay trailer
    This looks a lot better. Although the magical lasers and other magi-tech is a little...odd. Very Not Dragon Age™, like at all. But the wraiths, the Pride Demon (I'm still playing Multiplayer, started it up again a ways back ago and am now running in Nightmare games), I like those - it's different (more floating and mobile), but easy to recognize.

Fighting has - obviously - gotten even more mobile, but c'est la vie. It's nice to see how a basic rogue will play; I always play rogues in the story.

spoilers:
    I'm expecting Varric to die, now, especially with what happened to Bianca (edit: and the fact that they've changed him to look more 'sad-fatherly'), but...get screwed, Solas, you always were a self-righteous prick.
    end of spoilers

*arcane vid*
    That's pretty good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    It would be The Four fingers of Death.

I found it at times questionable in the first half but overall mostly liked it. Then it hits the second half where you're thrust into a new setting and set of characters and it all goes awry because I found them to be some of the more annoying characters I've encountered in a while. There's multiple attempts by the author to create parodies/caricatures of young folks in a near future setting and the author is hit and miss with accuracy and all of them are generally just cringy, maybe partially because the author isn't young himself at that point. You can shuffle part of that off on the author character telling the frame story of the novel but it's still a lot of eye rolling.

It's also a case where a fair amount of the strengths of the first half become weaknesses as the writer's indulgent steam of consciousness prose for characters no longer is profound or impactful (for given degrees of that, the first half wasn't perfect on the reread either but it had its moments still and all the parts I remember liking I still mostly liked). Instead that styling just becomes really obnoxious as characters just start listing out items related to their issue or thought and the issue or thought usually isn't that interesting to merit this for me. This can go on for paragraphs which worked in the first half and really doesn't in the second.

And related to the cringiness I mentioned before, its in the second half I got more and more pictures of how the author views big picture issues like how the world works, politics, and sex, and even though it's not exactly *problematic* for the most part it's like 60% of the time cringy, or just plain not how things work from how I understand it and inaccurate.

I think I will finish this because I've adapted to the book now and can speed through it, because I want to fully finish it and have a picture of it in my head and put it aside maybe forever, but I definitely realize now why I remember very little from the latter half of the book lol. It's being carried along because of a general snappiness/wittiness of the prose (when its not doing blocks of stream of consciousness text about nothing) which I appreciated from the start and the memory of really liking the ending

And yeah I wouldn't normally do this, but the book has been something I've been wanting to revisit for a while so that's part of the motivator for me.
    Ooof. That sounds to be a difficult read. Understand why you've decided to finish it, but I think i'll pass on picking it up.

Thanks for the explanation, very detailed.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 06-12-2024 at 04:07 AM.
    Why are we here?

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

these THC gummies my sister got me into got me out here eating chicken like no one's business. i mean, i'm black and i'm offended by how much chicken i am currently eating right now.

My Forum check it out

Quote Originally Posted by bruceleegreyhulk View Post
    Hmmmm could be fun
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

spoilers:
    I'm expecting Varric to die, now, especially with what happened to Bianca (edit: and the fact that they've changed him to look more 'sad-fatherly'), but...get screwed, Solas, you always were a self-righteous prick.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    either that or just retire from being an active companion and become an advisor companion instead, he hasn't been in the companion promo art so I'm thinking one or the other is happening
    end of spoilers