My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

I really enjoyed Ghostbusters Afterlife, can see why some aren't too thrilled by it but a lot of it really worked for me. In particular spoilers:
    found the Harold Ramis tribute really touching and well done, and doubt any fans of the original weren't smiling at the sight of the four originals standing shoulder to shoulder again, or how they filled the old roles so easily and obviously still have amazing chemistry together. New cast was pretty good too, Mckenna Grace in particular. Only disappointment was that Rick Moranis wasn't there, so I guess he's still not working
    end of spoilers

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    A lot of people don’t understand the subtle difference between the United States and the US, but they’re definitely there. Or not. One or the other.
    One is the United States, the other... is just US.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Welp, Wheel of Time has managed to annoy me in the first thirty seconds
    spoilers:
    they really did remove Saidin and Saidar and just make a generic magic that just happens to corrupt men when they use it... somehow
    also not thrilled with them making Egwene into a fourth Ta'veren, never felt that was missing or would have improved her story and if anything would seem to take away from it
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

I mean... as long as he's happy I guess... nah it's still weird.

Cowboy bebop live action small spoilers

spoilers:

https://twitter.com/Slime11037/statu...029453825?s=20

end of spoilers

Booo, who comes up with these lines
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    Cowboy bebop live action small spoilers

spoilers:

https://twitter.com/Slime11037/statu...029453825?s=20

end of spoilers

Booo, who comes up with these lines
    Man, the more I see about this adaptation, the worse the script seems to become.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 11-19-2021 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Man, the more I see about this adaptation, the worst the script seems to become.
    I was going to see it on the condition that if it was bad it was probably going to BOMB and boy does it seem to be falling into that and I’m interested lol
    -Stephen McCranie

I was going to see it on the condition that if it was bad it was probably going to BOMB and boy does it seem to be falling into that and I’m interested lol
    I knew it was gonna be a fun trainwreck when you could tell in the critic reviews who had seen the original, and who hadn't. One guy called it a comic book adaptation better than Scott Pilgrim, for example.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

See, I don't even like Cowboy Bebop the original very much. I tried watching it, thought it was fine but never finished it. Just didn't really grab me that much. I'm not watching this thing under any circumstances; it could not be any less for me.

What I have been quietly fascinated by though is the marketing of this new version. Netflix have been aggressively drawing direct comparisons between this and the original anime and it never comes off looking better or even as good. The comparative gifsets, the shot for shot remake of the intro, it all invites comparison to a largely universally beloved anime of exceptional quality.

Like, surely you can only lose this comparison? You aren't going to make a Cowboy Bebop that Cowboy Bebop fans like more than Cowboy Bebop?

And then clips. All the clips they've posted prior to release have just been... odd? Poorly paced? Badly scripted? Maybe they are the best clips they have but they have just been... kind of ass.

All of which is to say, I am (terrified) very curious for the upcoming One Piece live action adaptation. As I said to housemate today, who does not know One Piece at all, how would you go about adapting a sequence like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    See, I don't even like Cowboy Bebop the original very much. I tried watching it, thought it was fine but never finished it. Just didn't really grab me that much. I'm not watching this thing under any circumstances; it could not be any less for me.

What I have been quietly fascinated by though is the marketing of this new version. Netflix have been aggressively drawing direct comparisons between this and the original anime and it never comes off looking better or even as good. The comparative gifsets, the shot for shot remake of the intro, it all invites comparison to a largely universally beloved anime of exceptional quality.

Like, surely you can only lose this comparison? You aren't going to make a Cowboy Bebop that Cowboy Bebop fans like more than Cowboy Bebop?

And then clips. All the clips they've posted prior to release have just been... odd? Poorly paced? Badly scripted? Maybe they are the best clips they have but they have just been... kind of ass.

All of which is to say, I am (terrified) very curious for the upcoming One Piece live action adaptation. As I said to housemate today, who does not know One Piece at all, how would you go about adapting a sequence like this:

Well, from what I've heard/seen, this movie is based in the East Blue with the East Blue members of the crew, which are a (comparatively) more "realistic" than the Grand Line and beyond. Most outrageous things there are Buggy and, ironically enough, Luffy himself.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

I never had any hope for the One piece thing lol

I’ve also heard bad things about the wheel of time adaptation but I’ll be seeing that too
    -Stephen McCranie

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

I never had any hope for the One piece thing lol

I’ve also heard bad things about the wheel of time adaptation but I’ll be seeing that too
    Imagine how I feel about Amazon’s Second Age Lord Of The Rings series that, from what I hear, may try to outdo Games of Thrones in some ways.

Granted, there’s a lot of wiggle room for writing whatever in the largely undetailed Second Age, and Númenor DID become a snakepit of depravity, but still.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

there's some annoying changes to the Wheel of Time lore in the opening minute or so that might have major repercussions later on but the show after that I found mostly entertaining, maybe they'll retcon it or further clarify through exposition back towards the way its supposed to be later on

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    there's some annoying changes to the Wheel of Time lore in the opening minute or so that might have major repercussions later on but the show after that I found mostly entertaining, maybe they'll retcon it or further clarify through exposition back towards the way its supposed to be later on
    Might have a look. I did enjoy WoT until…book eight? Somewhere around there.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate