Page 16 of 2454 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026661165161016 ... LastLast
    nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

sadness again for wrestling.

jim "the anvil" neidhart has passed.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post

Okay. You're going to see a lot of specialization in an attempt to stack modifiers.
    I see that as an acceptable outcome, since it can help the lower power tiered characters keep up in combat.

Plus the system is designed for adapting existing characters, not creating new characters. So that puts a limit on the min maxing that's possible.
    This part gets into the 'realism' for me. A character who can bust a planet dropping themselves down the vast gulf between their strength and the one below it, shouldn't just 'preserve' stamina. They should be doing that kind of thing effortlessly, forever (until they need to sleep). The difference between the strength levels (and speed, and whatever) are so huge that it's like the difference between me hitting something as hard as I can, and me patting it on the head.

But if you've accepted this unrealism as a factor of the setting, fair enough.
    This is created for a specific game, where there's an in-universe figure restricting their abilities to lower levels than their max. So for example, While Superman gets a 5 strength because his source material depicts him with the power to move planets around, within the actual game his physical strength will not be that ludicrously high.
    So a completely normal human can thus take a punch from a planet buster, and shrug it off. I mean, unlikely, but plausible enough to happen once in a while.

I know, factor of the setting. Fair enough.
    Yes, more or less.
    So Soak is a stat that's applicable only to this?
    So far, yes. I haven't thought of much else it might be usable for yet.
    Okay, fair enough.
    I've got a few character sheets already, if you'd like to see the system applied in action.

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    sadness again for wrestling.

jim "the anvil" neidhart has passed.

...It's just a kick in the balls the last few weeks, huh?

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    I see that as an acceptable outcome, since it can help the lower power tiered characters keep up in combat.
    The issue is that everyone else can do the same. If one 'low-power' guy with five specialities can stack them, so can a 'high-power' guy with five specialities.

Some kind of limit might also be good to prevent people from stacking over and over, and continuing to set up new specialities that stack for that specific use as their character progresses. For example, there are games that say 'there are only so many bonuses you can apply'. Why not here? For example, 'Highest speciality applies full value, next highest applies full value -1, next highest applies value -3 (or half), end'.

Plus the system is designed for adapting existing characters, not creating new characters. So that puts a limit on the min maxing that's possible.
    So there's no progression, or ability to subjectively decide exactly what characters are capable of doing when 'making them up'?

This is created for a specific game, where there's an in-universe figure restricting their abilities to lower levels than their max. So for example, While Superman gets a 5 strength because his source material depicts him with the power to move planets around, within the actual game his physical strength will not be that ludicrously high.
    Kind of a Mortal Kombat versus DC thing?

So, basically this system is made to take pre-existing characters, place them in a situation where the power-curve is flattened so that anyone can beat anyone, and...is there a setting?

So far, yes. I haven't thought of much else it might be usable for yet.
    Then we run into a problem of it being less important than other stats. If it's a stat with one use, and that use only kicks in when someone has dropped to half their life/health/whatever, then something like Durability is much more important.

I've got a few character sheets already, if you'd like to see the system applied in action.
    Sure, why not?
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Site has become annoying with the double posting....
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Extraordinary Member

The issue is that everyone else can do the same. If one 'low-power' guy with five specialities can stack them, so can a 'high-power' guy with five specialities.

Some kind of limit might also be good to prevent people from stacking over and over, and continuing to set up new specialities that stack for that specific use as their character progresses. For example, there are games that say 'there are only so many bonuses you can apply'. Why not here? For example, 'Highest speciality applies full value, next highest applies full value -1, next highest applies value -3 (or half), end'.
    Well In the end I do get final approval so I can screen out sheets that abuse that too much. .

So there's no progression, or ability to subjectively decide exactly what characters are capable of doing when 'making them up'?
    Lack of progression is an issue, since the Game isn't really based on levels. I could implement a level system and tie things like Stamina and health to that instead of my current system If I need to though
    Kind of a Mortal Kombat versus DC thing?

So, basically this system is made to take pre-existing characters, place them in a situation where the power-curve is flattened so that anyone can beat anyone, and...is there a setting?
    Well, the current concept of the game is basically this: An unknown but incredibly powerful being kidnaps a hundreds of characters from across the multiverse, and places them into a pocket dimension made of recreated locations from their world, where they have two options. They can kill everyne else in the game, and obtain a wish, or they can complete a scavenger hunt of his design and be returned to their own worlds (And of course, the players always have the option of taking the third option, and trying to find the person responsible for all this, and force him to let them go.)

The players will have the option of going the direct combat route, or working as a team with other characters.
    Then we run into a problem of it being less important than other stats. If it's a stat with one use, and that use only kicks in when someone has dropped to half their life/health/whatever, then something like Durability is much more important.
    I also considered the possibility of making Soak control their regeneration if they possessed it, but you do have a point on it being a more limited stat.
    Sure, why not?
    Okay, here's Goku

Goku

Strength: 5
    Speed: 5
    Durability: 5
    Soak: 3
    Biggatons: 5
    Charisma: 3
    Will: 3
    Hax: 3
    Magic Resistance: 3
    Knowledge: 5
    Perception: 5
    Stealth: 4
    HP: 49
    Stamina: 49
    Sanity: 49

Abilities

Zenkai: If Goku recovers his HP after a combat, his max HP increases by the amount it had been reduced.
    Super Sayian: Allows Goku to use his Stregnth, Biggatons, Speed, Durability, and Magic Resistance modifiers on the necessary basic roles.

Pure Heart: Goku’s heart is considered pure. There is no evil within it for others to exploit.

Skills

Knowledge (Martial Arts): Goku is a master martial artist and can replicate certain skills by sight alone, as well as quickly notice and exploit weaknesses. He can add his intelligence Modifier to Basic Attacks.

Ki Sensing and Supressing: Goku can sense the energy of life that flows within people, allowing him to use his perception modifiers. He can also suppress his own energy to hide from other people with similar abilities, appearing only as common life. This allows him to use his Stealth Modifier.

Ultra-Instinct: Activating only if a Will check is passed when his Health and Stamina is below 10. When active, Goku automatically makes a dodge roll whenever he is attacked and can choose to make a counter simultaneously with his dodge. Additionally, all attacks cost only one Stamina point. He can also stack his Super Sayian, Divine Ki, and Kaioken boosts
    Energy Lending: Can land his own stamina to his comrades. This can either restore their stamina, or their health, based on a roll of his Hax die.

Kaioken: Requires concentration. Gives Goku advantage on Strength, Speed, Durability, and Biggatons roles. If Goku’s concentration is broken, he takes 1 D10 of damage, and suffers Disadvantage for a number of rounds equal to the rounds he used Kaioken. Cannot be stacked with Super Sayian

Telepathy: Can communicate mentally and read other’s memories with their consent.

Flight: Can fly using his Ki. While flying, he cannot hide his energy.

Divine Ki: A special means of using his Ki, which not only gives Goku his combat modifiers for basic attacks, but also makes him indetectable by energy sensors.

Special Attacks

Kamehameha: Goku’s signature attack. Primarily fired from his hands but can also be fired from his feet. Can combine this with Instant Transmission for a Sneak attack. If the attack misses, Goku can redirect it back at the foe, requiring another dodge check. However, the redirected version does not get modifiers. Costs 5 Stamina

Dragon Fist: Melee attack. Gets advantage against Giants. Costs 5 Stamina

Instant Transmission: Can move within 10 feet of any person he can perceive. Can also bring allies with him.

Solar Flare: Releases a bright flash of light that blinds people temporarily and stuns them for the rest of the round. Is a Hax roll. Costs 1 Stamina

Hakai: Hax roll, destroys enemy’s body and soul if successful. Goku must concentrate for an entire round to use this attack. It will fail if interupted. Costs 10 Stamina

After Image: Speed check. Dodges enemy attack and leaves behind an illusory image of Goku in its place. Image disappears when struck or at the end of the round. Costs 3 Stamina

Spirit Bomb: Gathers Stamina from willing allies to use as an attack.

Eight-Arms Strike: Hits foe with 8 basic punches if successful. Costs 8 Stamina. Each punch is based on a D6

Janken Fist: A Melee Attack, Goku delivers a Punch, a palm Strike, or a Finger Jab in a random order. The attack is designed to throw his enemies off, and thus does sneak attack Damage if successful. Costs 5 Stamina

Items

Power Pole: An exceedingly tough bo staff that allows Goku to use Melee attacks with Strength Modifiers from any range. Does 1D12 damage

Senzu Beans x6: a bag containing six Senzu Beans. One bean is capable of restoring the consumer to full health and Stamina

Dragon Radar: A handheld radar designed to locate Dragonballs.

Flying Nimbus: summoned with a call, the flying nimbus allows those who are pure of heart to ride it, giving them high speed flight that allows them to remain stealthed.

4 Star Dragonball: 1 of the Seven Dragonballs.

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Astonishing Member

So, I found a site I guess that you upload to for voice acting or whatever, and I am mildly interested, so I guess I'll give it a shot.

....Logged in and made an account, but apparently I should upload something that vaguely sounds like.....You know, a human voice.

Yet, I have no idea what to recite, and I don't think my 30 page manifesto on why I am so awesome is really the best opener.

FIND ME THINGS THAT SOUND AWESOME SO THAT I MAY USE THEM IF I EVER STOP BEING LAZY AND USE THEM.

Okay, I'll bite.

Do it, Miburo. I dare you.

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

Record yourself reciting the Creed of the Keyboard Warriors.
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

There's a trend of late of having rules where players actually have aspects of control over the game world and the situation (rather than attempting to exert control through their characters), and the GM is given actual license to work against them with points to spend each 'scene' that screw them up, or the like.

I don't like this, personally - it feels like 'antagonistic collaborative writing', which grates on several levels.

Mileage, it doth vary.
    Hmm... Yeah, I can see that. I guess it depends on the group. FATE works like that, but the sessions I've listened to on podcasts seem to go well enough without the players trying to warp the campaign too much, and once I got a feel for the system, I liked it. But then you have Cypher System, which is where players gain experience by the GM just throwing random **** at them, and the players can then immediately use that experience to negate that very scenario or some such.

Linky, please!
    Honestly, you'd probably find the book pretty revolting due to its subject matter, but I can summarize the actual mechanics here:

-Rules light and narrative focused, with character abilities and the results of rolls being "flavored" to match a scene, rather than micro-managed with specific effects. For example, a character making a successful defense roll could be described as either fully blocking or dodging the hit, whichever makes more sense for the character to do, or for the situation to allow.

-The game's premise can be boiled down to "humans vs demons after the demons have already conquered most of the planet". The intended "level" of the game is sort of in the "pulp adventure to street level supers" range. You can be a normal human with military gear, alien tech equivalents, and/or enchanted equipment, with options for having "street level" psionic powers. The demons are mostly demihumans whom have some kind of special power gimmick, such as an elemental ability or shape shifting.

-Characters don't gain experience points. The game is intended for short campaigns and one-shots, and character power progression should come about as a result of finding resources, being exposed to supernatural elements or alien technology, etc. It should come about naturally as part of the campaign.

-Characters do not have core stats, instead there is a Skill List that all characters (who are humans) have access to: Athletics, Drive/Ride, Investigation, Lore, Melee, Might, Presence, Shooting, Sneaking, Technology (Mechanics/Electronics), Wilderness, Willpower. Every challenge in the game utilizes one of these skills. You allocate points to each skill, up to five max.

-The game uses a d6 dice pool. You roll the number of dice equal to the number of points allocated to a skill. You must roll a 5 or 6 on a die to succeed. One or two successful roles is a Success, three or more is a Super Success, and the GM can allow an extra benefit to result from that roll.

-Characters also have Special Resources, which grant basic powers based on certain themes. For example, three characters can each have a "Fire Blast" power, but one uses alien technology to shoot heat rays, the other uses witch magic to shoot fireballs, the third uses pyrokinetic flame blasts.

-Damage is managed in two ways: a Damage Track for physical wounds. A Success hit causes one notch on the Damage Track, a Super Success causes two. There's some variables that can change this. Damage can eventually lead to being Knocked Out or receiving a Fatal Wound, after which another hit causes Death, so there's some emphasis on helping rescue and revive downed allies. Some damage can also cause a Hindrance, such as a broken leg, which can modify the challenge being faced.

-Second damage is Mental Strain, which comes into play with psychic attacks and brainwashing attempts. Success hit causes one notch on the track, Super Success two, although again, there can be modifying variables. Mental Strain can lead a character to become Broken, in which they are rendered docile and unable to attack or defend. Another successful hit can lead to Enslavement, in which case they are under enemy control (like a Charm spell). It could also lead to a Knock-Out or possibly Death, if that's what the attacker is going for, but usually its a battle of mental dominance.

-While you're intended to play a human, there are "special classes" allowed such as an alien, a genetically engineered poison demon, and captured witches. These three classes are pretty much pre-gen characters, with little to no options for adjustment, due to the nature of their lore in the setting.

CHARACTER SHEET
    Name _____________________

Character Type ____________________

Damage: __ __ __ __ __ __

Knock-Out __ Fatal Wound __ Hindrance _______

Mental Strain: __ __ __ __ __ __

Broken __ Enslaved __

SKILLS
    Athletics – 1
    Drive – 1
    Investigation – 1
    Lore – 1
    Melee – 1
    Might – 1
    Presence – 1
    Shooting – 1
    Sneaking – 1
    Technology – 1
    Wilderness – 1
    Willpower – 1

SPECIAL RESOURCES
    _________________ _________________

EQUIPMENT

Don't know if this counts as a spoiler for Death Battle, but... Next Time on Death Battle:

Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
    So, I found a site I guess that you upload to for voice acting or whatever, and I am mildly interested, so I guess I'll give it a shot.

....Logged in and made an account, but apparently I should upload something that vaguely sounds like.....You know, a human voice.

Yet, I have no idea what to recite, and I don't think my 30 page manifesto on why I am so awesome is really the best opener.

FIND ME THINGS THAT SOUND AWESOME SO THAT I MAY USE THEM IF I EVER STOP BEING LAZY AND USE THEM.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Croc is in Injustice 2. He is background who wrecks character knocked his way.

No sign of Or a though.

As for rpg systems and such.. I have several but these rules apply.

If your struck by Critical and the critical goes 17 to 20. Your dead. Higher number, more brutal/metal it is.

Also some weapons in systems do mega damage. Meaning g if you get hit, your Freakken dead. No save. Just dead ( to replica something insane hitting person. Like a falling building, gigantic thing, or really big gun deal.)