Page 20 of 2439 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430701205201020 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Oh God, the sheer amount of unconnected sources they're going to pull feats from for Optimus already makes my brain hurt

I can already hear the autie's screaming in the distance.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    So I watched Shannon Strucci's video essays (the two parts that are out at the moment anyway) last night and it was one of the most illuminating and brilliant pieces of work I've seen in a while.

It also made me very sad but in a kind of helpful way. Would highly recommend the series to anyone with an interest in YouTube culture.

Good find.

Both chilling and heartwarming at the same time.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Speaking of RPGing....

Anima players, posts are up if you haven't checked in a while.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    The conceptual stuff (The High Lords, the merging of realities / cosms, the different rules for different levels of tech / spirit / magic etc.) was all good. As a player it’s like the ultimate sandbox (“Whoa - you mean I can play a dragon-rider who teams up with a high-tech ninja?! Awesome!!”) but one of the problems is EXACTLY that broad range of characters. Like you said, the balance is completely cocked, and it got worse the further they went with releasing stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Crap fell apart.

The whole idea of balance was the business of 'but in 99% of realities, the Space God's super-tech simply won't work well, if at all!' Which...wasn't held up by the rules. There was a singularly lousy chance of said Tech falling apart, and that chance could be completely obviated for an ENTIRE SCENE by spending a single Possibility.

So when the Space God wanted to monster around on everyone, the Space God did.
    I mispoke earlier about TORG, I've actually read a lot of the material, and conceptually, it's probably one of my favorite settings, despite how cheesy it could be. Similarly with RIFTs. But I never took a look at the game system itself, so that's why I couldn't speak to its effectiveness.

But yeah, it sounds almost like a "feature creep" problem with a lot of these systems.

They has been a Savage World's conversion of TORG (unofficial) and one of RIFTs (official), and TORG Eternity is an official reboot by the original guys with a new system as well. Not sure if they're better, but I know Savage Worlds is intended to be streamlined for adventure-focused play, so it might fit them well enough.

As for oWoD, that makes sense. I read a little bit of it, and the lines didn't seem compatible. I'm not sure if nWoD was more successful at combining them, but I know there was a lot of emphasis on how later expansions could interact with the previous ones.
    Last edited by Sharkerbob; 08-16-2018 at 11:35 AM.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Must look up Torg: Eternity, to see if the rules have improved with regards to balance.

...Siembieda keeps essentially copy-pasting the same rules into every new 'game', so I know they're still the same.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

after watching a certain vid, i've come to realize that i miss the archie sonic cast of characters and storylines, regardless of ken penders' slide into bitter insanity.

they are certainly better than most of the game characters. i'll take master mogul over infinity any day of the week.

Extraordinary Member

Hmm, caught up with Eden's Zero.

I'm actually pretty intrigued by this time travel dealy Mashima is setting up.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Loving the new server. **** is zippy again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Hmm, caught up with Eden's Zero.

I'm actually pretty intrigued by this time travel dealy Mashima is setting up.
    He's caught my attention for sure.

definitely seems like mash has found his mojo again.

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    after watching a certain vid, i've come to realize that i miss the archie sonic cast of characters and storylines, regardless of ken penders' slide into bitter insanity.

they are certainly better than most of the game characters. i'll take master mogul over infinity any day of the week.
    Thinking on it, that really was a kind of weird case of simultaneous split canon.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    Thinking on it, that really was a kind of weird case of simultaneous split canon.
    i wouldn't say that since the archie comics were based on SATAM and the games were just kind of their own thing.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Unlike Anima where -- if the GM is playing the setting -- one CAN monster around on everyone, but it'll come back to bite one in the ass at some point. Possibly badly, if one has really exaggerated said monstering around (yes, it's Inquisitor Marchusius, come to say hello).
    That's the single major flaw in anima to me. Two stacked no fun allowed factions. Otherwise I consider anima the baseline for which every high fantasy game should be built on. Gnosis alone as a concept I consider one of single greatest RPG concepts ever made, if not the greatest. But the big brother factions make it to where I would never play in the setting. I dislike those as a matter of taste in almost any capacity. But as a limiter to players I consider it even worse. I can understand why the designer did it. But I consider it a blemish that kills a lot of my interest in the actual setting. Which is a shame because I don't think I regard any other game as highly as I do anima in terms of crunch and potential.

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

Finally all caught up on One Punch Man. Mizuki is the new bae, Garou is surprisingly and refreshingly complex, and the hot pot scene was hilarious. Am I the only one who ships Genos x Fubuki?
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

tribute to Aretha Franklin may she rest in peace.

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel