Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Recipe for Disaster Blackid's Avatar

Default Weakest anime main character

WE always try to debate on the strongest and we got a Lot of them (Luffy, Goku, Sukuna, etc) but who would be the weakest Anime Hero/Main Character that would still be considered the main Character. Not just a big name figure (aka King from OPM).

Who do you got?
    The Recipe for Disaster asks for Blasphemy, but as for me, ask for me, I give it gravity.

Shinji Ikari. (NGE)

Ash Ketchum. (Pokemon)

Spike Spiegel. (Cowboy Bebop)

Kyon. (Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)

Light Yagami. (Death Note)

Subaru Natsuki. (Re:Zero)
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blackid View Post
    WE always try to debate on the strongest and we got a Lot of them (Luffy, Goku, Sukuna, etc) but who would be the weakest Anime Hero/Main Character that would still be considered the main Character. Not just a big name figure (aka King from OPM).

Who do you got?
    Conan Edogawa (Detective Conan) would definitely be up there. He isn't winning any physical challenges. Elementary school physique for the loss.

Honoka Takamiya of Witchcraft Works. You know how most anime/manga have the male lead save the female lead with their superpowers? This is the opposite. Honoka has no powers on his own, but the female lead, Ayaka Kagari, is practically immortal and incredibly powerful in her use of fire. She's also tall enough to carry Honoka bridal style quite often. And in all honesty, the series was created to subvert the trope of the powerless female lead being saved by the OP male lead.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    Kumagawa has reality warping erasure powers. Any notions that he's weak is just him being stupid.

Extraordinary Member

Crying Freeman.

This is a very broad question, hmm...

Special innate abilities obviously gate many shonen protagonists.

If we discount equipment, many mecha pilots and possibly magical girls are further screened, as would anyone who can say, fly a spaceship or a plane or whatever.

So we would need a main character that is entirely dependant on external devices and/or circumstances to leverage their strength, without which they would be essentially normal or below average human beings with above average personalities.

...probably not but I felt it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    So we would need a main character that is entirely dependant on external devices and/or circumstances to leverage their strength, without which they would be essentially normal or below average human beings with above average personalities.
    There's Suzume, from the movie of the same name. She's just an average schoolgirl, who ended up saving Japan only became she was nosy enough to get into the affairs of a wizard-y family and deities, and ended up gaining their trust.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

The correct answer is probably some rom com protagonists because being physically weak and a bully magnet is a common trope for them. I'm not going to embarrass myself by mentioning specific examples, but I'm sure someone more confident in their weeaboo status could name some. And honestly, the grosser the story the more likely they are to be weak.

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    Shinji Ikari. (NGE)

Ash Ketchum. (Pokemon)

Spike Spiegel. (Cowboy Bebop)

Kyon. (Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)

Light Yagami. (Death Note)

Subaru Natsuki. (Re:Zero)

Shinji's standard equipment should include his robot.

Ash has surviving lightning strikes from day one and has lots of feats requiring Olympic weight lifter level strength. And frankly his pokemon should be standard equipment too.

Spike is a high competent hand to hand fighter and gunman. Probably not comic book peak human but reasonably close.

Light can kill people on the other side of the planet.

I have no idea what you're going for with these nominations. Some are physically weak but anime uses a much broader definition of being strong and weak which tends to encompass full power sets and will power. And physically, even Light is a talented athlete. I don't know everyone you named, but all the ones I recognized are not worth discussing. Shinji is the only one who might qualify and that requires taking away the robot, which is like taking away Tony Stark's armor and then saying Iron Man is the weakest Avenger.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    The correct answer is probably some rom com protagonists because being physically weak and a bully magnet is a common trope for them.
    The Suzume movie might not be a rom-com in full, more of a road trip, coming of age story.

But while the movie deals with stuff like accessing the after-life where all times exist simultaneously, godly kaiju fights, spiritual rituals, and a character transferring a guy's body and mind inside a toy chair in the blink of an eye, it's not stuff that would apply in a Rumble fight because it's stuff that either only applied in very specific and situational circumstances where Suzume only witnessed, or was provided information and magic equipment (that didn't belong to her or her family) and was told what to do.

Astonishing Member

the Cast of K-on!
    whatever Scientists tells us what they believes are the only things that exists in Reality(our world), they treats what US government and mainstream news media said about things like 9/11, CO2 Emissions, and so on as their gospel

https://lnk.bio/Masonicon

calling Real Life Martial Artists that can break walls "Comic Book Peak Human" is like calling Pre-new52!Cassandra Cain "Shounen Manga character"

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

There are a ton of manga/anime titles that take place in the modern world with perfectly normal people doing perfectly normal things. Kids, even. Zero action, zero fighting, zero feats.

Pick one.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Hamtero ( See nothing against using a main character who's animal)
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Astonishing Member

There's the main character of Gamba no Bouken being a mouse, with the big bad being a weasel.