Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Disney make something without a pre-existing level of mindshare?

Couldn't be them.
    ****, who are we kidding, they probably have a roadmap for a trilogy or something already.

When Sid says he's goes to Pizza Planet he's being quite literal.

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    ****, who are we kidding, they probably have a roadmap for a trilogy or something already.

When Sid says he's goes to Pizza Planet he's being quite literal.
    Stop making this cool. It's not supposed to be cool.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I had the opposite reaction to be honest. Well, not opposite. It just left me very confused.

I don't get who this is for...? Like it genuinely baffles me that this exists at all. Like, it's got no formal relation to the Toy Story franchise, it's got a completely different tone and aesthetic to what Buzz Lightyear - in the setting of Toy Story the fictional universe - was based on, it's got no Tim Allen and the character is completely removed from the version of Buzz that audiences actually know so there's no real link there either.

It doesn't even tie in with the shortlived Buzz Lightyear of Star Command tv show which was meant to be the thing the toy was kind of based on.

It is literally a film built and founded on the notion of recognisable iconography rather than an actual property.

The Pixar team have obviously put a lot of work and polish into it but I am just conceptually completely stumped by how this came to be. I'm sure it will make a bunch of money and will be... i don't know... perfectly fine? But I am so shaken that this exists, it's almost like a parody of what we would expect from Disney.
    I actually thought it was a meme from some of the images I saw the past couple days.

According to a piece from Variety:

I'm not so pedantic to nitpick at the deepest lore of Toy Story, but at the same time I kinda hate how that's now a thing.

Andy lives in a world with faster than light travel. I didn't need to know this and I reject it vehemently.

The suits in marketing played themselves in greenlighting something this safe with the brand recognition. Imagine if they made something new?
    Wait, what?

Boy I hope that's the equivalent of a marketing typo, because that suddenly throws the whole "series" into some rather strange anachronistic implications.
    Last edited by Sharkerbob; 10-29-2021 at 01:40 PM.

I'm not gonna bother with that film on principle lol
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Fantastic Member

Overly Sarcastic Productions' Halloween video is up:

A friend of mine mentioned that they might start an Anima campaign. I fear I have gone mad as a result, as my casual browsing through the advantages turned into writing an actual guide ranking each of them.

Quote Originally Posted by bruceleegreyhulk View Post
    It might be worth watching. Especially now that Silva is no longer connected with the series.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Just saw Dune and I really enjoyed it.

Compared to the David Lynch film, I feel the '84 film had a bold, more iconic aesthetic. Visual theming and music were far better, and the whispered inner monologues, while intrusive, were actually rather true to Frank Herbert's writing style.

In terms of actually telling the story of Dune, this version is far more faithful, while expanding on key characters to strengthen their onscreen presence. Paul's relationship with his parents is far better conveyed than even the novel, and Duncan Idaho lights up every scene he's in with a certain energy I can only describe as... 'capable big brother'. Also Jessica has a stronger and far more emotional portrayal than I've seen of the character in previous adaptations, and selling the Bene Gesserit as a big deal was conveyed better than it had been before.

I did appreciate that the film did take itself rather seriously and lingered in its environments to let a viewer take in the weird way the world is build with its high level of technology that's pushed people so far they've somehow regressed into feudalism and stabbing each other.

My major complaints were the soundtrack which, while appropriate and setting of the mood well enough, is so understated as to be rather forgettable. It also needed more explanation of the mentats, though I can understand why they minimized their appearances somewhat - specifically as Jessica is one of the major characters and Thufir Hawat isn't - and more Gurney Halleck, but this is part 1 after all.

Now to wait another 2 years or so. It might be a vain hope, but I hope they eventually adapt up to Dune Messiah which is my personal favourite.
    Last edited by grampagen; 10-29-2021 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    I actually thought it was a meme from some of the images I saw the past couple days.

Wait, what?

Boy I hope that's the equivalent of a marketing typo, because that suddenly throws the whole "series" into some rather strange anachronistic implications.
    I don't particularly care for the film so far at face value or the weird spin, but I am morbidly curious to see how far they can push it.

What was once a cute easter egg about a new way of making animated films is now the deepest lore.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Stop making this cool. It's not supposed to be cool.
    What, did you think that claw machine filled itself with little green aliens? They had to get them from somewhere!

Just saw Dune and I really enjoyed it.

Compared to the David Lynch film, I feel the '84 film had a bold, more iconic aesthetic. Visual theming and music were far better, and the whispered inner monologues, while intrusive, were actually rather true to Frank Herbert's writing style.

In terms of actually telling the story of Dune, this version is far more faithful, while expanding on key characters to strengthen their onscreen presence. Paul's relationship with his parents is far better conveyed than even the novel, and Duncan Idaho lights up every scene he's in with a certain energy I can only describe as... 'capable big brother'. Also Jessica has a stronger and far more emotional portrayal than I've seen of the character in previous adaptations, and selling the Bene Gesserit as a big deal was conveyed better than it had been before.

I did appreciate that the film did take itself rather seriously and lingered in its environments to let a viewer take in the weird way the world is build with its high level of technology that's pushed people so far they've somehow regressed into feudalism and stabbing each other.

My major complaints were the soundtrack which, while appropriate and setting of the mood well enough, is so understated as to be rather forgettable. It also needed more explanation of the mentats, though I can understand why they minimized their appearances somewhat - specifically as Jessica is one of the major characters and Thufir Hawat isn't - and more Gurney Halleck, but this is part 1 after all.

Now to wait another 2 years or so. It might be a vain hope, but I hope they eventually adapt up to Dune Messiah which is my personal favourite.
    I generally agree with this. I think it was stated that Denis wanted at least at some point to have a series up to book 3. No guarantee that will fall through tho.

Also something I liked was that some characters got better treatment here than even in the original book and especially the 84 adaptation. Like Duncan lol.
    Last edited by Postmania; 10-30-2021 at 12:29 AM.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Regarding the new One Punch Man

Atomic Samurai gets an absolutely ridiculous upgrade that wasn't in the webcomic, he's definitely on the path to becoming even more powerful from a Rumbles perspective.

But, more importantly, we have arrived at one of the best scenes in the series.

All hail King.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    A friend of mine mentioned that they might start an Anima campaign. I fear I have gone mad as a result, as my casual browsing through the advantages turned into writing an actual guide ranking each of them.
    …this, I totally comprehend.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    According to Disney, the movie is a prequel to the Toy Story franchise and the definitive origin story about the real Buzz Lightyear, whose fame - due to his exploits in space - would later inspire the creation of the Buzz Lightyear show/toy brand within said-universe. It's a neat concept IMO. And the creators stated that Tim Allen isn't voicing this Buzz because they consider the toy and the person he's based upon to be two separate people.

EDIT: Dammit, I was ninja-ed by GrampaGen!
    Knowing that the Toy Story universe is a science fiction based reality and not one essentially identical to our own with the one exception that toys can come to life saddens me.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Science-Based News Website: 'UN announces world's rich countries leagues away from actually hitting targets, looking at 2.7C increase in temperatures based on current modelling which puts those countries at only achieving 7.5% reduction in greenhouse gasses by 2030 rather than the 55% we need.'

CBC official website: 'We're not quite there, falling short, but we'll be close to our 2.0C 'target' [Announcer's voice: 2.2C by 'end of century', we won't mention where we'll be after that, nor that a '2.0C target' is actually a super-bad failure]. This raises hopes! [Announcer's voice: no it doesn't] We won't talk about how much we're going to miss our targets for the 1.5C we really need.'

CBC showing its bias, as usual. And about such an important issue.
    "There's always an Arqullian Battle Cruiser or a Corillian Death Ray, or an intergalactic plague that is about to wipe out all life on this miserable little planet, and the only way these people can go on with their happy lives is they do not know about it!" - Agent K

This is probably the mantra of world governments. Keep the masses ignorant and distracted with bread and circuses so they don't fly into existential terror at how f***ed we really are.