The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    See, it's this mindset that has lead to me detaching my art output from career. My art is for me, I make the stuff I want to make and I can make it the way I want it.

I could not cope being an artist for money (even if I had the skill and dedication to do so) it would do me such a nasty brain time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    Definitely.

In a way, there is this romanticized ideal of "wouldn't it be great if I had to spend eight hours a day doing something, it would be making novels and comics" but when the passion becomes just another grind, it stops being a passion. Sometimes I can go a straight week doing nothing but writing. Most of the time, I'm lucky to get a page done, if that. Everyone's got their own pace for these things; the worst is when, even if you understand you have an erratic pace and try to work with it, other life factors consistently line up to knock over your anvil 8 times out of 10 that it randomly decides to get hot.
    Pretty much. At one time I had this idea that I would become a professional writer. Now, I just write when I want, what I want, and occasionally send something away to see if there's any interest in it. My job keeps me in money, and I'd rather have this stay a hobby than become pressure, like you and Nik have talked about.

Similar to my other hobbies.

I mean, I could really knuckle down, but I'd need to give up a lot of my other hobbies because I would still need the job to keep going with the money while I wrote. And I don't want to do that either. And I'm not in my 20's and 30's any more, so I can't get by on four hours sleep every night like I did when I was writing/job/hobbies. And that was wrecking me, anyway.

So...yeah, I'm happier like this. When I retire, I'll probably write more. But never as a job.

I lowered my hours at work drastically a couple months ago, and will probably coast on part time for a little while yet. At the same time, I fell back into the mind trap of "everything I make now must be done with the cynical eye towards monetizing it as much as possible." Meaning I need to be pumping and dumping schlock fiction for the Amazon algorithm, writing stuff I don't care about in the hope I scrape enough Kindle Unlimited page clicks to more than likely make almost half minimum wage at best.

Spoilers: turns out all that does is lock me in a miserable brain fog where I can't write anything at all. I'm just not that kind of a writer. Kudos to those who can play that market, I guess, but even the very few successes don't stay successful for long, for one reason or another.
    If you can work less, that's always good...but it sounds like the second part of the plan didn't go so hot. Sorry, man.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Pretty much. At one time I had this idea that I would become a professional writer. Now, I just write when I want, what I want, and occasionally send something away to see if there's any interest in it. My job keeps me in money, and I'd rather have this stay a hobby than become pressure, like you and Nik have talked about.

Similar to my other hobbies.

I mean, I could really knuckle down, but I'd need to give up a lot of my other hobbies because I would still need the job to keep going with the money while I wrote. And I don't want to do that either. And I'm not in my 20's and 30's any more, so I can't get by on four hours sleep every night like I did when I was writing/job/hobbies. And that was wrecking me, anyway.

So...yeah, I'm happier like this. When I retire, I'll probably write more. But never as a job.
    Good plan.

If you can work less, that's always good...but it sounds like the second part of the plan didn't go so hot. Sorry, man.
    I've been a lot more productive this year than last; last was a total wash. But it's still been sporadic. For what it's worth, I did knock out another ebook shortly after I had the new time freed up, but I haven't been as steady with doing things as I was wanting to be. Bad brain timing, maybe, idk. Soon enough I'll have to go back to full time, and watch that be right when the muse hits.

Ah, well.

Watching Wheel of Time series episode 1.

I'm only a few minutes in, but they're shifting the focus in a big way it looks like, and unless I'm mistaken some notable changes to actual characters/situations are happening too. Too early for me to judge whether these are good or bad though.

The one thing I want to note is that one of those changes I'm certain was made purely to explain why women might tug at their braids so much
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

And that's episode 1.

So this is definitely not just a reframing or changing to characters; they're adding completely new events to characters' lives and worldbuilding. These are things that never happened in the original series, and the whole first episode is taking place in a perspective that also didn't happen in the first book when they took place. I'm still unsure about how to judge everything yet based off a first episode, but I feel like this is kind of more like YA novel or I guess YA television take on Wheel of Time. This basically means that even in this first episode I was often surprised at how things were totally different in some cases, but will also mean that I'm pretty much never really going to be able to anticipates key parts of the books I think, except for some flourishes here and there.

Considering that 4 of the events I mentioned as complete changes seemed solely to elevate a sort of edgy broooding tone that I associate with poorly executed sort of TV fantasy (and also there was notably more skin in this episode with similar effect) I'm dubious about how this will turn out, but I'm going to have to see this through regardless lol

I also, of course, being a Rumbles fan, dislike the way they turned the magic in the series from something relatively economical (even when they had motions) to a sort of ponderous waving of arms and slow moving effects, although there was some cool parts.

On the plus side, the Trollocs look pretty good, and the characters I can mostly recognize in terms of personality even though they've darkened them up a bunch.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

I've been a lot more productive this year than last; last was a total wash. But it's still been sporadic. For what it's worth, I did knock out another ebook shortly after I had the new time freed up, but I haven't been as steady with doing things as I was wanting to be. Bad brain timing, maybe, idk. Soon enough I'll have to go back to full time, and watch that be right when the muse hits.

Ah, well.
    I think that judging our productivity at this time is going to give poor results, not the least of reasons being stress and chaos from COVID. Hopefully that will ease out for you, and things will improve!

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    Watching Wheel of Time series episode 1.

I'm only a few minutes in, but they're shifting the focus in a big way it looks like, and unless I'm mistaken some notable changes to actual characters/situations are happening too. Too early for me to judge whether these are good or bad though.

The one thing I want to note is that one of those changes I'm certain was made purely to explain why women might tug at their braids so much
    Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    And that's episode 1.

So this is definitely not just a reframing or changing to characters; they're adding completely new events to characters' lives and worldbuilding. These are things that never happened in the original series, and the whole first episode is taking place in a perspective that also didn't happen in the first book when they took place. I'm still unsure about how to judge everything yet based off a first episode, but I feel like this is kind of more like YA novel or I guess YA television take on Wheel of Time. This basically means that even in this first episode I was often surprised at how things were totally different in some cases, but will also mean that I'm pretty much never really going to be able to anticipates key parts of the books I think, except for some flourishes here and there.

Considering that 4 of the events I mentioned as complete changes seemed solely to elevate a sort of edgy broooding tone that I associate with poorly executed sort of TV fantasy (and also there was notably more skin in this episode with similar effect) I'm dubious about how this will turn out, but I'm going to have to see this through regardless lol

I also, of course, being a Rumbles fan, dislike the way they turned the magic in the series from something relatively economical (even when they had motions) to a sort of ponderous waving of arms and slow moving effects, although there was some cool parts.

On the plus side, the Trollocs look pretty good, and the characters I can mostly recognize in terms of personality even though they've darkened them up a bunch.
    Hm. As you say, remains to be seen, but if they're pushing for Dark YA adaptation of the series to try to grab a 'bigger' audience (when, honestly, WoT had a huge audience to begin with), not sure how that'll pan out with the fans.

So what's the reasoning behind the braides?
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

I think that judging our productivity at this time is going to give poor results, not the least of reasons being stress and chaos from COVID. Hopefully that will ease out for you, and things will improve!
    Fair point. Thanks.

Fair point. Thanks.
    Quite a few people have told me 'I didn't get anything I wanted to get accomplished in the last two years', and invariably everyone kind of says 'Oh, COVID. Right' when we dive a little deeper. I think it has become such a constant background stress that we forget to take it into account.

There has been a HUGE amount of stress in the last year and a half (and not just from COVID), and none of us operate at peak under those circumstances, no matter what Hustle Culture™ wants us to believe. ^_^
    Why are we here?

Quite a few people have told me 'I didn't get anything I wanted to get accomplished in the last two years', and invariably everyone kind of says 'Oh, COVID. Right' when we dive a little deeper.

There has been a HUGE amount of stress in the last year and a half (and not just from COVID), and none of us operate at peak under those circumstances, no matter what Hustle Culture™ wants us to believe. ^_^
    Just gotta GRIND HARDER, BRO. >:B

:V

Yeah, lockdowns wasn't as productive for a lot of people, it turns out. Depressing circumstances is not a super-great motivator. :B

Although, me and a friend did do that podcast for a while last year. I keep forgetting that. Of course, so did roughly a quarter of the planet, or so I'm told. :V

That said, a few of my "peers" in the "industry" have been having the most creatively productive years of their lives these past two years. Some people are just better at stress management/motivation/time-management/powering through, I suppose. And good for them.

Yeah, lockdowns wasn't as productive for a lot of people, it turns out. Depressing circumstances is not a super-great motivator. :B
    Yep. And nobody should feel badly about that. This is a situation where 'getting through it' is a win, not 'thriving'.

Although, me and a friend did do that podcast for a while last year. I keep forgetting that. Of course, so did roughly a quarter of the planet, or so I'm told. :V
    Unsurprising that podcasts became more popular!

That said, a few of my "peers" in the "industry" have been having the most creatively productive years of their lives these past two years. Some people are just better at stress management/motivation/time-management/powering through, I suppose. And good for them.
    There will always be exceptions, of course. ^_^ And it's difficult NOT to compare oneself to them, but.
    Why are we here?

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quite a few people have told me 'I didn't get anything I wanted to get accomplished in the last two years', and invariably everyone kind of says 'Oh, COVID. Right' when we dive a little deeper. I think it has become such a constant background stress that we forget to take it into account.

As some of you will recall, I had a podcast pre lockdown and our number of episodes went down because the podcast is literally just an excuse for my friends and I to get together, watch movies and have a laugh. We did... I think... three or four episodes remotely but it wasn't the same.

I did get most of a short comic done in lockdown. I'm aiming to finish it... well, I was hoping by the end of the year but the festive period is starting to ramp up and I'm trying to change job so my free time is a bit more limited at the moment.

But yeah, as you say "productivity" is a dumb way to think about projects y'know? Very corporate, very results-oriented rather than enjoying the process. Lockdown was the time to do things that were satisfying and fun.

As some of you will recall, I had a podcast pre lockdown and our number of episodes went down because the podcast is literally just an excuse for my friends and I to get together, watch movies and have a laugh. We did... I think... three or four episodes remotely but it wasn't the same.
    You had some in the COVID lockdown times, and I caught a couple.

But yeah, as you say "productivity" is a dumb way to think about projects y'know? Very corporate, very results-oriented rather than enjoying the process. Lockdown was the time to do things that were satisfying and fun.
    Agreed. I think Lockdown was the time where we NEEDED to do stuff that was satisfying and fun, even if only on a gut-level fashion. Helps keep the stress and potential depression under control.
    Why are we here?

Edens Zero: So, we enter our first major timeskip.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Reading a manga named Kino's Journey. It's quite good, if one likes some pretty direct metaphors for what happens in our own world (ie, pretty good old school sci-fi).
    Why are we here?

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    Edens Zero: So, we enter our first major timeskip.
    and, you know what? kind of feels earned even if it's comparatively early on in the lifespan of the manga.

Recent arc has been strong and quite traumatic, feels like a good breathing point.

Reading a manga named Kino's Journey. It's quite good, if one likes some pretty direct metaphors for what happens in our own world (ie, pretty good old school sci-fi).
    It's something of a classic I've heard. A lot of different anime variations of it as I recall as well.

It's something of a classic I've heard. A lot of different anime variations of it as I recall as well.
    The writing appeals to the Zelazny fan in me. ^_^
    Why are we here?