Page 2457 of 2467 FirstFirst ... 14571957235724072447245324542455245624572458245924602461 ... LastLast
Results 36,841 to 36,855 of 37004
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Also, even his name annoys me. He sounds like he should be from an 80s hair band.
    While I don't think it's great to go after someone because of their name, I hope that wasn't a diss on Dee Snider. The hair band era might be over but they could really rock, I still listen to Dee's radio show, and he was pretty vocal against MAGAs appropriating his music, like a decent person would.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    While I don't think it's great to go after someone because of their name, I hope that wasn't a diss on Dee Snider. The hair band era might be over but they could really rock, I still listen to Dee's radio show, and he was pretty vocal against MAGAs appropriating his music, like a decent person would.
    No diss intended. And I’m glad to hear that about Dee.

ZS’ name just sounds so anachronistic in the 2020s. At least to me.

But I’m not ‘going after’ him because of his name - in fact I’m not going after him at all. He won’t read this, I’m not posting it anywhere else, and even if he did see it he wouldn’t care. And that's really not why I’m criticising him. The vast bulk (but not all) of his movie work is flat out terrible in my humble opinion.

I’m sure he’s a great guy (which is something that is certainly being questioned about his Justice League successor). But stop making movies. Please.

Or at least stick to the source material for everything, like you did with Watchmen.
    Chief Curmudgeon

Astonishing Member

I just don't think much about names, even for movie characters unless it's something that stands out/is downright hilarious, like Grant Grant.

Snyder's Army of the Dead with Dave Bautista seems to have good reviews but I'm not really interested in his current output because I'm not a streaming person, also in case it's not as good as Dawn of the Dead.

And the Justice League situation is complicated because of what actors have said about Joss Whedon, but I'm sure that's not only discussed at length in the movie forum but is also under the water now. We'll probably spend the rest of the decade seeing what the new directors do. All that's left from before are controversies and some great movies and casting.

But I’m not ‘going after’ him because of his name - in fact I’m not going after him at all. He won’t read this, I’m not posting it anywhere else, and even if he did see it he wouldn’t care. And that's really not why I’m criticising him. The vast bulk (but not all) of his movie work is flat out terrible in my humble opinion.

I’m sure he’s a great guy (which is something that is certainly being questioned about his Justice League successor). But stop making movies. Please.

Or at least stick to the source material for everything, like you did with Watchmen.
    Heh, if only. He’s looking forward to trying for “4-6 movies” in total for his Rebel Moon series…if the studio will let him. So we might have potentially 4 more movies of Zach trying out his weird Warhammer/Star Wars shtick
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Jujutsu Kaisen: spoilers:
    Yuji is doing good for now, and Ino actually helped. And I do find it funny how casual the reveal about Sukuna's twin's soul being Yuji's ancestor/father is. But I'm still concerned that Sukuna will get another second wind and really go to town.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I'm just laughing my ass off ove Sukuna losing his composure while Yuji's been hammering him with consecutive Black Flash after Black Flash, and is barely even giving him time to breath. What's more, Sukuna's finally forced to acknowledge that Yuji is rapidly approaching his and Gojo's level of power and given his utter disdain for his nephew being his jailor, his antithetical values and annoying persistence in spite of his perceived weakness, that's probably mortifying. Sukuna will definitely get his second wind - especially since we haven't seen him use Hiten - but the battle will probably be less lopsided from this point forward.
    end of spoilers
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Extraordinary Member

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    spoilers:
    I'm just laughing my ass off ove Sukuna losing his composure while Yuji's been hammering him with consecutive Black Flash after Black Flash, and is barely even giving him time to breath. What's more, Sukuna's finally forced to acknowledge that Yuji is rapidly approaching his and Gojo's level of power and given his utter disdain for his nephew being his jailor, his antithetical values and annoying persistence in spite of his perceived weakness, that's probably mortifying. Sukuna will definitely get his second wind - especially since we haven't seen him use Hiten - but the battle will probably be less lopsided from this point forward.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    My dream scenario is that Yuji does well enough to push Sukuna into serious mode (ala Shirou vs Gilgamesh), and just when he's about the launch the Slice that cuts the world, everybody else who has been a part of this fight (without dying) returns, healed by Shoko, for the ultimate jump him moment. With Yuji eventually dealing the final blow.
    end of spoilers

oh so he does lose the sleeves, what will people complain about now?!

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    oh so he does lose the sleeves, what will people complain about now?!
    "He doesn't wear a mask! Get him!"

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Alright. I'll give it to them. I had a sensible chuckle.

Still not gunna see it, but it's nice they got to make this one, I guess.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

problem is ZS thinks his stuff is based on primary canon.

Honestly the thing is when you look at Rebel Moon part of the problem is that he does have a source material, but he's combining it with generic Star Wars/WH40K elements.

Seven Samurai is his "source material" and in Rebel Moon he welds together the source material of "Japanese small village is under attack by bandits who are trying to exploit it for grain" with his own interest (I suppose) of "Galaxy Spanning Empire with orbital strike capacity".

The Galactic Empire then takes on the role of "bandits on the road".

It doesn't work. The grain focus is from Seven and works in that setting, it very much does not even start to work in the giant planet spanning space opera scope of RM.

In the second movie he attempts to justify it some more as the reason the space faring warship doesn't reduce the village into a crater and it's completely inadequate. Ironically he might have done better to have just come up with a completely original reason the village was under attack and not being shelled.

I was thinking about it earlier and believe that a key badly executed element of the second movie is also a result of Snyder following Seven Samurai so strictly (without having the ability/inclination to adapt it to this new setting).

In Seven Samurai there's a long stretch of time where the samurai reach the village and then chill out there for a while before the bandits show up, setting up defense, developing their characters, and interacting with the locals. There's push and pull with the villagers and samurai as they come to understand who they're really fighting for. Then when the battle sets off there's real development of stakes and it's impactful.

Snyder saw this, seemed to understand what happened on screen, seemed to understand vaguely what the movie was going for, and then proceeded to just do a terrible job trying to do the same thing somehow.
    spoilers:

The mercenaries hired for the job do interact with the locals...via multiple scenes of what feels like 15 - 20 minutes of the gang just farming along side the villagers to get the grain. Never have you seen so many slow motion scenes of actors swinging a rake and seeding the ground. This is interminable. And it also doesn't do anything to establish...anyone? There's almost no dialogue or character specific interactions here. You also get the training scenes, but really there's nothing to be gained from those either as they're pretty generic.

Snyder also has the characters be developed...by a sequence that is pretty much literally just a character stating "Okay I need to know who you are. Let's all tell ourselves our stories. I'll go first" and then everyone just sits there not reacting to the stories and then starting their story when their turn comes. Besides being hamfisted, these stories are also not very interesting for the most part, some of them you've already heard from previous scenes, and they also feel like a waste of time.
    end of spoilers

It's maddening, and by the end of it you generally come away preferring if Snyder had just kicked into action and made a tighter 90 minute film after all of this.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

LISAN AL GAIB!!