Page 539 of 573 FirstFirst ... 39439489529535536537538539540541542543549 ... LastLast
Results 8,071 to 8,085 of 8581
  1. #8071
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,863

    Default

    Finale time


  2. #8072
    Incredible Member FistofIron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    804

    Default

    I wonder who the current Fang of Metsudo is? Takayama didn’t want the title by default so I would be surprised if it’s him. With that being said I hope we get to see more of him and Omori.

    Black Desert is coming to PS4. I believe I’ll check it out.

  3. #8073
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,367

    Default

    UQ Holder: While the harem stuff bores me to no end and Touta is just ok as a main lead, terrific action scenes like the ones in the most recent chapters are why I'm sticking with this series.

    Akamatsu really uses the characters' immortality to their fullest for nutso combat moments.

  4. #8074
    Reborn Samurai Len Ikari145's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Right behind you.
    Posts
    3,587

    Default

    So, the next DBS film is going to be a direct sequel to Broly. I'm down with that since I want to see more character development involving the big guy.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

    Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

  5. #8075
    Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    4,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    UQ Holder: While the harem stuff bores me to no end and Touta is just ok as a main lead, terrific action scenes like the ones in the most recent chapters are why I'm sticking with this series.

    Akamatsu really uses the characters' immortality to their fullest for nutso combat moments.
    UQ Holder does so much right in terms of interesting story and has some of the best action sequences in the genre.

    But also, Ken Akamatsu occasionally goes; "Hmm, it's been a about three minutes. I'd better make a pre-teen girl get naked repeatedly. Nothing amiss here, just a lot of weirdly sexualized children,"

    I enjoy the series but I do not recommend it to people.
    Twitter

    Tumblr

    Follow my social media for animations and art and junk.

    Underbelly: A Mafia Intrigue RPG. Come and do crimes!

    Art Thread on CBR

  6. #8076
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,440

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I'll echo Jcog, the arc you're in didn't really make a blip on my problematic radar. Mostly because the action in that arc is super good. However, there's a character who shows up in... I think next arc who made me go "oh come on,"

    Kimetsu no Yaiba is really good though it's not without some issues. Glad you're enjoying it though! ^_^
    I'm quite enjoying it, even if the second half of what I can find translated (starting in the arc I mentioned) does have some eye-rolling stuff. I really think that an editor somewhere came back and said 'It's getting popular, now tart it up'; the writer said 'Fiiiiine' and did the minimum he felt would 'pass' for the editor.

    Which character?

    Quote Originally Posted by FistofIron View Post
    Black Desert is coming to PS4. I believe I’ll check it out.
    Black Desert is one of those MMORPG's I WANT to like. Fantastic character customization, I can put people in decent clothing (as far as I've gotten, anyway), great classes, amazing graphics, really interesting looking world, in-depth system and mechanics...for some reason, I've found it hard to get into, though.

    Maybe it just requires too much time investment, and I'm slowly moving away from video games now. If my wife enjoyed it, I'd probably play it more, but she finds the interface clunky and not intuitive (she's very correct, at least on Xbox), and not being a fan of fighting games is a little frustrated with the idea that she needs to memorize sixteen different input sequences to attack people in different ways.
    Why Are We Here?, by Pendaran

    "...the Myths Transformed version of the legendarium, in which the Moon is Melkor's attempt to make his own Arda with blackjack and hookers."
    - Estrecca

    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move."
    - Nik Hasta

    "[Kent] Nelson was nearly invariably presented as the guy who, barring the Spectre, made everyone else generally gasp and go "Doctor Fate don't shiv, he balls nasty.", even Superman."
    - Pendaran

  7. #8077
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,440

    Default

    I think that a series like Girl Genius has some absolutely hilarious feats for characters; one just needs to actually dig a little to spot them amidst the comedy. For example, in the latest parts we see Gil, with his father's personality overlay controlling his body, simultaneously and casually beat up one of the toughest Jägers in the series while literally ignoring the best efforts of a high-end Smoke Knight to subdue him. AND carrying on a rather detailed discussion regarding the current situation with people in the area at the same time (I mean, he's literally mangling Dimo without even looking at him, and Violetta is reduced to literally hanging off his arm while he gestures to illustrate what he's talking about).

    Now, Gil's dad is more skilled than Gil is, but the overlay is still using Gil's body.

    I think it's rather amusing that a long time ago we had a Rumble of 'Gil versus Captain America', and there was serious consideration from everyone about who would win (I was in that myself, and I figured it to maybe-possibly be Gil after a long, hard fight...not any more).
    Why Are We Here?, by Pendaran

    "...the Myths Transformed version of the legendarium, in which the Moon is Melkor's attempt to make his own Arda with blackjack and hookers."
    - Estrecca

    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move."
    - Nik Hasta

    "[Kent] Nelson was nearly invariably presented as the guy who, barring the Spectre, made everyone else generally gasp and go "Doctor Fate don't shiv, he balls nasty.", even Superman."
    - Pendaran

  8. #8078
    Astonishing Member Lord Falcon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,063

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    I think that a series like Girl Genius has some absolutely hilarious feats for characters; one just needs to actually dig a little to spot them amidst the comedy. For example, in the latest parts we see Gil, with his father's personality overlay controlling his body, simultaneously and casually beat up one of the toughest Jägers in the series while literally ignoring the best efforts of a high-end Smoke Knight to subdue him. AND carrying on a rather detailed discussion regarding the current situation with people in the area at the same time (I mean, he's literally mangling Dimo without even looking at him, and Violetta is reduced to literally hanging off his arm while he gestures to illustrate what he's talking about).

    Now, Gil's dad is more skilled than Gil is, but the overlay is still using Gil's body.

    I think it's rather amusing that a long time ago we had a Rumble of 'Gil versus Captain America', and there was serious consideration from everyone about who would win (I was in that myself, and I figured it to maybe-possibly be Gil after a long, hard fight...not any more).
    Honestly at this point I'm convinced the scene with Tarvek trading blows with Gil was just Gil giving Tarvek face.

    What makes you say Klaus is more skilled than Gil? I recall Gil casually defending his father from assassins, a growing pile of them off to the side, while holding an conversation with him.
    Last edited by Lord Falcon; 06-24-2019 at 05:09 AM.

  9. #8079
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,440

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Falcon View Post
    Honestly at this point I'm convinced the scene with Tarvek trading blows with Gil was just Gil giving Tarvek face.
    That could be it.

    ...however, we've also found out that Tarvek himself has been holding back for ages to keep his true skill a secret, and is good enough to also surprise a Smoke Knight (if I recall correctly).

    I need to go back and look at that scene again.

    What makes you say Klaus is more skilled than Gil?
    Having looked over what I have, I must admit I'm short on PROOF. Let's just run with this as my line of thinking.

    Klaus is presented as Gil's superior, Gil being young and less experienced. Klaus was running around doing crap with the Heterodyne Boys for the longest time (there are even Post-Heterodyne Boys pictures of him facing giant clanks that have just torn a castle and town apart, alone except for baby Gil in a carrier on his back) and has quite the rep for being one scary dude, even just personally (ie, without his armies to back him up, and as noted sometimes carrying a baby on his back). He has tons more experience than Gil, and that's not just with 'ordering people around', it's with 'getting dirty himself'. But feats, I'll grant you, are harder to find. I'll need to go through the back issues to find more....

    Okay, so he casually beats up Othar because he's interested in having some fun. I realize that's not exactly a point toward him being better than Gil because Gil pretty much beats up Othar as well, though being fair, Othar had been smashed all around the entire flying castle by Klaus at that point, and Klaus himself commented that they were getting tired (Othar not exactly being at his best, since Klaus was whupping his rear).

    He casually no-look one-punches Jägers (when facing Ponch and Judy with Agatha).

    ....aaand that's all I've got, because Klaus doesn't actually do as much.

    Okay, so by feats, I don't have much. ^_^ Other than I've never seen Gil casually one-punch a Jäger without even looking at them, while Klaus does just that and the Klaus Overlay in Gil's body absolutely mangles Dimo without looking at HIM. But that's it. I just feel that Klaus is better than Gil, because Klaus is the guy who is large and in charge at the moment, and grooming Gil to take over when he's gone. Gil just doesn't have the kind of experience that Klaus does, hasn't done the same crazy stuff (yet), etc.

    So, that's all.
    Why Are We Here?, by Pendaran

    "...the Myths Transformed version of the legendarium, in which the Moon is Melkor's attempt to make his own Arda with blackjack and hookers."
    - Estrecca

    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move."
    - Nik Hasta

    "[Kent] Nelson was nearly invariably presented as the guy who, barring the Spectre, made everyone else generally gasp and go "Doctor Fate don't shiv, he balls nasty.", even Superman."
    - Pendaran

  10. #8080
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,440

    Default

    Drilling down a little further, I'll note that Gil actually has to work to take out Captain Vole, including him attacking Vole from behind at the start of the fight (not, for example, one-punching him blind or mangling him without looking at him). Now, Gil is TIRED at this point, so there's that, but the effort of doing this is such that he actually faceplants after Vole heads off with his new orders (from Gil).

    It's not as impressive as anything Klaus does against Jägers, including name-level Dimo who is undeniably one of the more skilled and tough Jägers, especially in hand to hand. It does, however, have the caveat on it 'Gil was tired', so.

    Edit: Hilariously, this led me to find yet another insane Gil feat, this time where he actually picks up a Clank that is well into the 'multi-ton' range and tosses it around. Now, it takes extreme effort, and he notes 'Ouch, that hurt me' afterward, but he was doing it after he had been SHOT, so there's that as well. ^_^

    Edit, Edit: Turns out Vole was holding back, which is looking worse for Gil. When Vole is going full-out, he beats up Tarvek and Gil simultaneously. I suspect he's better than Dimo, for what it's worth; I can't see Dimo beating up both Tarvek and Gil. And Vole, who knows Klaus, doesn't think much of how Gil compares to his Dad.

    Edit Edit Edit: Aaaaand hilariously, we have a righteously pissed Gil coming back and beating up Vole, and Vole saying 'Okay, you're learning fast...' afterward. This is getting confusing. ^_^
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 06-24-2019 at 06:45 AM.
    Why Are We Here?, by Pendaran

    "...the Myths Transformed version of the legendarium, in which the Moon is Melkor's attempt to make his own Arda with blackjack and hookers."
    - Estrecca

    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move."
    - Nik Hasta

    "[Kent] Nelson was nearly invariably presented as the guy who, barring the Spectre, made everyone else generally gasp and go "Doctor Fate don't shiv, he balls nasty.", even Superman."
    - Pendaran

  11. #8081
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,440

    Default

    So Tarvek isn't exactly lightweight himself. When motivated, he basically shatters a heavy wood table he's cuffed to while screaming "I LIVE" (hilarious). The Castle's angel...thing...made by Van Rijn punches him such that he flies through the air and destroys the equipment he slams into. He pops back to his feet. It tries to hit him with a steel club. He catches the club in one hand, effortlessly, and the angel thing says 'Woah, you're surprisingly strong' (this being a mechanized tech killy-thing). He then holds it off when it's in a killing fury (and armed with all kinds of blades and hooks and other implements of painful death, while he has nothing but his bare hands) and proceeds to break it by hammering it with debris he just picks up. And this being is good enough to land a hit on Higgs (imbedding him two inches into a stone wall). It's also good enough to take Zeetha to stall it like he did, and Zeetha is good enough to casually toy with someone who lands hits on Violetta.

    ...it occurs to me this name-dropping is going to be meaningless to people who don't read the comic, but this is just Falcon and I talking. ^_^

    Tarvek also dances around carrying a couple of muscular women, one under each arm, like he's tiptoeing through the tulips, which is about as funny as it is impressive (though in a lesser way).

    I'm pretty cool with Tarvek being rather scary himself, and actually managing (sort of) to fight with Gil (who, amusingly, once he gets serious, proves himself to be much faster than Tarvek, for all Tarvek's skill). Again, it's a matter of seriously examining everything -- how well Tarvek does against certain things/beings and what he does with them, and how that compares to everyone else and what THEY can do compared to...everyone else as well.
    Why Are We Here?, by Pendaran

    "...the Myths Transformed version of the legendarium, in which the Moon is Melkor's attempt to make his own Arda with blackjack and hookers."
    - Estrecca

    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move."
    - Nik Hasta

    "[Kent] Nelson was nearly invariably presented as the guy who, barring the Spectre, made everyone else generally gasp and go "Doctor Fate don't shiv, he balls nasty.", even Superman."
    - Pendaran

  12. #8082
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,440

    Default

    Further evidence of Tarvek's physical ability.

    Violetta keeps punching him in the stomach. It's a thing for her, because Tarvek is always saying things that annoy him. She punches him, he crouches over groaning, and then is back talking normally the next panel. We might pass that off as comedy, but Tarvek continuously shrugs stuff off one panel later, just like the other heavy-hitters.

    Then Violetta punches him in the gut while he's explaining to Gil that 'If you don't like the rules --'

    There's a *clang*.

    Next panel Violetta is holding a throbbing fist, and Tarvek has pulled up his shirt to show Gil he now has a piece of steel plate under his shirt.

    However.

    The steel plate looks to be around an INCH thick. And it's DENTED.

    1. Tarvek can somehow hide a steel plate like this under his shirt without a Smoke Knight seeing it (it's stuffed into the top of his trousers) - it's not a physical feat, but still impressive.
    2. Violetta can hit a steel plate 1" thick hard enough to dent it when she's not being serious.
    3. Violetta hitting 1" thick steel hard enough to dent it makes her hand hurt, that's about all (nothing broken).
    4. All this time, Tarvek has been taking shots in his gut that are strong enough to dent 1" thick steel plate...shots he eats, groans, and then a panel later is fine.

    Tarvek is plenty, plenty tough.

    Next scene? Tarvek notes he has been holding back for years to make people underestimate him, and 100% humiliates Violetta when she tries to hit him again, absolutely blitzing her and treating her like a child. Violetta isn't the world's greatest Smoke Knight, but she's a good one, with all kinds of insane feats of her own.

    Edit: Interesting Klaus feat: he scares Dupree. I didn't think that was possible.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 06-24-2019 at 06:29 AM.
    Why Are We Here?, by Pendaran

    "...the Myths Transformed version of the legendarium, in which the Moon is Melkor's attempt to make his own Arda with blackjack and hookers."
    - Estrecca

    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move."
    - Nik Hasta

    "[Kent] Nelson was nearly invariably presented as the guy who, barring the Spectre, made everyone else generally gasp and go "Doctor Fate don't shiv, he balls nasty.", even Superman."
    - Pendaran

  13. #8083
    Astonishing Member Lord Falcon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,063

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Drilling down a little further, I'll note that Gil actually has to work to take out Captain Vole, including him attacking Vole from behind at the start of the fight (not, for example, one-punching him blind or mangling him without looking at him). Now, Gil is TIRED at this point, so there's that, but the effort of doing this is such that he actually faceplants after Vole heads off with his new orders (from Gil).

    It's not as impressive as anything Klaus does against Jägers, including name-level Dimo who is undeniably one of the more skilled and tough Jägers, especially in hand to hand. It does, however, have the caveat on it 'Gil was tired', so.

    Edit: Hilariously, this led me to find yet another insane Gil feat, this time where he actually picks up a Clank that is well into the 'multi-ton' range and tosses it around. Now, it takes extreme effort, and he notes 'Ouch, that hurt me' afterward, but he was doing it after he had been SHOT, so there's that as well. ^_^

    Edit, Edit: Turns out Vole was holding back, which is looking worse for Gil. When Vole is going full-out, he beats up Tarvek and Gil simultaneously. I suspect he's better than Dimo, for what it's worth; I can't see Dimo beating up both Tarvek and Gil.
    Worth noting that Gil, when beating down Vole, was already shot multiple times thanks to facing down a Clank army by his lonesome. He didn't seem to have any trouble making sure he had the advantage over Vole, just that it took him multiple hits to subdue and terrify Vole enough that Vole would follow his orders. I'd interpret it as Gil keeling over from blood loss made worse from beating on Vole, which we see earlier where he was already relying on the other Jeagars as leaning posts to make it back into the city.

    I really have no explanation for the subsequent Vole fight myself. That whole Mechanicsburg arc was insanely good, but no arc is perfect. Vole really had no reason to hold back and let himself be beat up to the point of pretending to be terrified and follow Gil's orders if he was really strong enough to thrash Gil and Tarvek simultaneously.
    Last edited by Lord Falcon; 06-24-2019 at 06:50 AM.

  14. #8084
    Astonishing Member Lord Falcon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,063

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Further evidence of Tarvek's physical ability.

    Violetta keeps punching him in the stomach. It's a thing for her, because Tarvek is always saying things that annoy him. She punches him, he crouches over groaning, and then is back talking normally the next panel. We might pass that off as comedy, but Tarvek continuously shrugs stuff off one panel later, just like the other heavy-hitters.

    Then Violetta punches him in the gut while he's explaining to Gil that 'If you don't like the rules --'

    There's a *clang*.

    Next panel Violetta is holding a throbbing fist, and Tarvek has pulled up his shirt to show Gil he now has a piece of steel plate under his shirt.

    However.

    The steel plate looks to be around an INCH thick. And it's DENTED.

    1. Tarvek can somehow hide a steel plate like this under his shirt without a Smoke Knight seeing it (it's stuffed into the top of his trousers) - it's not a physical feat, but still impressive.
    2. Violetta can hit a steel plate 1" thick hard enough to dent it when she's not being serious.
    3. Violetta hitting 1" thick steel hard enough to dent it makes her hand hurt, that's about all (nothing broken).
    4. All this time, Tarvek has been taking shots in his gut that are strong enough to dent 1" thick steel plate...shots he eats, groans, and then a panel later is fine.

    Tarvek is plenty, plenty tough.

    Next scene? Tarvek notes he has been holding back for years to make people underestimate him, and 100% humiliates Violetta when she tries to hit him again, absolutely blitzing her and treating her like a child. Violetta isn't the world's greatest Smoke Knight, but she's a good one, with all kinds of insane feats of her own.

    Edit: Interesting Klaus feat: he scares Dupree. I didn't think that was possible.
    Interesting feat for Violetta's striking power!

    I always felt that Violetta was severely underestimated because she was lacking in some of the ordinary skills other Smoke Knights were expected to possess, when in fact she'd min-maxed herself to have an absolutely ridiculous sleight of hand stat (not the Anima one, but actual normal meanings of sleight of hand).

  15. #8085
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,440

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Falcon View Post
    Worth noting that Gil, when beating down Vole, was already shot multiple times thanks to facing down a Clank army by his lonesome. He didn't seem to have any trouble making sure he had the advantage over Vole, just that it took him multiple hits to subdue and terrify Vole enough that Vole would follow his orders. I'd interpret it as Gil keeling over from blood loss made worse from beating on Vole, which we see earlier where he was already relying on the other Jeagars as leaning posts to make it back into the city.

    I really have no explanation for the subsequent Vole fight myself. That whole Mechanicsburg arc was insanely good, but no arc is perfect. Vole really had no reason to hold back and let himself be beat up to the point of pretending to be terrified and follow Gil's orders if he was really strong enough to thrash Gil and Tarvek simultaneously.
    Absolutely. The Vole thing gets weird and I'm iffy on it, either way. There's actually a THIRD edit in the post you quoted, whereupon Gil AGAIN beats up Vole, apparently seriously this time. It's just a little too much, and I don't know how to qualify one of them versus the other.

    It's interesting to note that Gil is certainly good enough to beat up Dupree WHILE he's actually mixing up a complicated 'scientific' formula in the lab. He barely looks at her through most of it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Falcon View Post
    Interesting feat for Violetta's striking power!

    I always felt that Violetta was severely underestimated because she was lacking in some of the ordinary skills other Smoke Knights were expected to possess, when in fact she'd min-maxed herself to have an absolutely ridiculous sleight of hand stat (not the Anima one, but actual normal meanings of sleight of hand).
    She's pretty potent, and yeah, her 'sleight of hand' thing is absolutely bonkers. ^_^
    Why Are We Here?, by Pendaran

    "...the Myths Transformed version of the legendarium, in which the Moon is Melkor's attempt to make his own Arda with blackjack and hookers."
    - Estrecca

    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move."
    - Nik Hasta

    "[Kent] Nelson was nearly invariably presented as the guy who, barring the Spectre, made everyone else generally gasp and go "Doctor Fate don't shiv, he balls nasty.", even Superman."
    - Pendaran

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •