The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    But the thing was Kehaya wasn't even shown to be that strong. He split a big rock, messed around Yujiro (mostly running away from him), and then was put up against Doppo for no real reason whereupon he got owned.

Like at least Sukune got a solid of build and beat up Oliva and it precipitated a big old Sumo vs The World tournament thing.

This feels like... really vestigial.
    I feel that sometimes the writer gets an idea for a beatdown and just wants to show it. No matter how it turns out. Maybe in his research he read something about Sumo he translated into this character. Maybe he had one of his ideas re: the TRUTH of martial arts! Maybe he wanted to give Doppo props. Who can say?

It was pretty sad, really.

I do find the idea of Yujiro and Strydum hanging out and Yujiro going;

"You know what would be hilarious? If we got someone to try and shoot me with a harpoon cannon. Imagine his face when I'm fine, hilarious! Dude, let's find a boat!"

Very funny.
    This is actually more funny than the manga. Nice. ^_^
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

*faceplants in relieved exhaustion*

*muffled voice* Finally. My reclass is definitely going through, I'm getting the letter of offer in a week. Which...is still time for everything to go to hell somehow, but it's looking confirmed, 100% (which I will not believe until I actually sign the letter of offer, but there you go).

It's going to be backdated to like...2019. Because that's when we started the process.

At least it's backdated.

Between that and the physio finally figuring out what has been wrong with my back for the last two years (beyond the usual), life is looking up.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    *faceplants in relieved exhaustion*

*muffled voice* Finally. My reclass is definitely going through, I'm getting the letter of offer in a week. Which...is still time for everything to go to hell somehow, but it's looking confirmed, 100% (which I will not believe until I actually sign the letter of offer, but there you go).

It's going to be backdated to like...2019. Because that's when we started the process.

At least it's backdated.

Between that and the physio finally figuring out what has been wrong with my back for the last two years (beyond the usual), life is looking up.
    Oo, that means you're gonna get the difference in pay for the last three years? Also hooray for finally getting back problems sorted!
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Oo, that means you're gonna get the difference in pay for the last three years?
    Massively taxed, but yes. Also means my pay increments in that Class will start from 2019, which is good as well. More pay, and my last 5 years working here will be at max pay for my level, which will be my best 5 years, which will be the basis for my pension. Squeaked in.

Also hooray for finally getting back problems sorted!
    Needed to go to a new physio person, because my old one needed to head home. So I do. He just did a course on something important, and it was fresh in his mind. He looks at me, gets me to lie down, does a quick examination, then informs me that the right side of my pelvis (ie, the pelvic bone on that side) is completely tilted forward. Not so much I could look down and see it, but enough.

So he wrangles it around to the proper place (was.. not exactly fun) and then says "Maybe it's chronic, maybe not. We'll see if it stays in place."

Immediate change.

I mean, my old physio was helping me. I wasn't in staggering pain every day any more (no exaggeration, my pain level every day was between 5-7 for about a year, with flare-ups into 9 when I did something wrong - used to put me on my knees). But I was still experiencing problems, my Doctor was saying 'you have some arthritis in your hip, that's probably causing this, you'll probably need a new hip in 10 years', I was looking at 'well, this is going to be my life in pain'.

Now? Maybe not. It's finally fully clearing up after two years. AND the pelvis is staying in place.

Stroke of luck with that physio guy!

I don't know what I did. Martial arts? Slept wrong? Fell over? No idea! Something happened two years ago, during Covid. But...now I'm finally looking at maybe feeling GOOD.

I can run again. Couldn't, for two years. Even on the good days, it would have wrecked me.
    Why are we here?

Massively taxed, but yes. Also means my pay increments in that Class will start from 2019, which is good as well. More pay, and my last 5 years working here will be at max pay for my level, which will be my best 5 years, which will be the basis for my pension. Squeaked in.
    Well now that's awesome news!

Needed to go to a new physio person, because my old one needed to head home. So I do. He just did a course on something important, and it was fresh in his mind. He looks at me, gets me to lie down, does a quick examination, then informs me that the right side of my pelvis (ie, the pelvic bone on that side) is completely tilted forward. Not so much I could look down and see it, but enough.

So he wrangles it around to the proper place (was.. not exactly fun) and then says "Maybe it's chronic, maybe not. We'll see if it stays in place."

Immediate change.

I mean, my old physio was helping me. I wasn't in staggering pain every day any more (no exaggeration, my pain level every day was between 5-7 for about a year, with flare-ups into 9 when I did something wrong - used to put me on my knees). But I was still experiencing problems, my Doctor was saying 'you have some arthritis in your hip, that's probably causing this, you'll probably need a new hip in 10 years', I was looking at 'well, this is going to be my life in pain'.

Now? Maybe not. It's finally fully clearing up after two years. AND the pelvis is staying in place.

Stroke of luck with that physio guy!

I don't know what I did. Martial arts? Slept wrong? Fell over? No idea! Something happened two years ago, during Covid. But...now I'm finally looking at maybe feeling GOOD.

I can run again. Couldn't, for two years. Even on the good days, it would have wrecked me.
    Sounds like your pelvis just woke up and chose violence one day. Understandable. Electrocuted meat works in mysterious ways.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Sounds like your pelvis just woke up and chose violence one day. Understandable. Electrocuted meat works in mysterious ways.
    Certainly chose violence against ME...but whatever. Was messed up for almost 2 years, and we've been working on getting me better from it for only about 3 months, so it's not surprising I'm still not perfect. But I can feel the difference, the big issue is pretty much gone, and I just need to 'build back better', so to speak. ^_^
    Why are we here?

Extraordinary Member

Bleach: The Thousand Year Blood-War has reached the Kenpachi vs. Unohana fight.

It'll be interesting to see if they expand a lot on it, and maybe explain what the hell Unohana's bankai actually does.

Kirstie Alley passed away. Rest in peace Kirstie.

https://www.etonline.com/kirstie-all...d-at-71-195500
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Glad to hear you're feeling good Sharp, that's excellent news!

Quote Originally Posted by bruceleegreyhulk View Post
    Kirstie Alley passed away. Rest in peace Kirstie.

https://www.etonline.com/kirstie-all...d-at-71-195500
    Oof, I had such a big crush on her growing up, and she had such good comedic talent. I actually knew her more for her movie roles than Cheers (Cheers sadly came on at my bed time when I was little). Rest in peace.

Swiss army nerd

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Bleach: The Thousand Year Blood-War has reached the Kenpachi vs. Unohana fight.

It'll be interesting to see if they expand a lot on it, and maybe explain what the hell Unohana's bankai actually does.
    Just watched this, its good stuff! More to set up the full fight next ep, should be great!

On another note, happy to say I might finally be able to join the Rumblers martial arts crew. I took up JKD-Kali in November last year, so been at it for a little while now. Absolutely love it - fitter than I've been in an age, learning a lot and having fun. What martial arts does everyone here practice?

Quote Originally Posted by greatmetropolitan View Post
    On another note, happy to say I might finally be able to join the Rumblers martial arts crew. I took up JKD-Kali in November last year, so been at it for a little while now. Absolutely love it - fitter than I've been in an age, learning a lot and having fun. What martial arts does everyone here practice?
    Hey, congratulations! Do you have a website for the school? Wouldn't mind having a look. Glad you're enjoying it. I like the stick/knife training in FMA, always good (see below!).

Let's see...will do the full list, because sometimes it's fun for me to work it out and see it.

- About 7-8 years of Judo under Sensei Mas Takahashi, Takahashi dojo Ottawa.
    - About 12 years of a Shaolin Five Animals based Kung Fu that incorporated concepts from JKD, Boxing, Muay Thai, Silat, and other stuff, and did heavy-to-full contact fighting (MMA gloves, mouthguards, sometimes a jock) under Sifu Kevin 'Badger' Jones, Young Forest Kung Fu, Ottawa.
    - About 10 years of what would become Siling Labuyo Arnis under Guro Kevin 'Badger' Jones (same guy, classes in same school at roughly the same time), Young Forest Kung Fu, Ottawa.
    - More than 14 years of various internal styles under Michael Babin, Ottawa, as a private student and member of his private students group class. Primarily Xingyi, but also Yang Taiji and Sun Taiji, along with some classical weapons work. Practical as well as form, resistance and unrehearsed training, free sparring with weapons, etc. Did a few months of Bagua under Mike as well, but ugh, my back was unable to handle it at the time.
    - A bundle of different courses/classes with other stuff over the years - American Heritage Fighting Arts with Pete Kautz, Combat Sambo with Ygor Yakimov, Chen Taiji, Shotokan Karate, etc. Basically poked my nose into other stuff just to experience it and see how it feels/what it does/how they train. Maybe pick up some things as well.

Total time, counting the Arnis and Kung Fu as simultaneous, is approaching 35 years.

Still training with a couple of Mike's senior students; Mike is largely retired, but brings me in for a private class once in a while, or gives me a month of Friday mornings. ^_^

I'm officially certified to teach the Young Forest Kung Fu Curriculum and Michael Babin's Yang Taiji, and have operated as both assistant instructor for Arnis and the primary grappling instructor at the Young Forest school.
    Why are we here?

Swiss army nerd

Hey, congratulations! Do you have a website for the school? Wouldn't mind having a look. Glad you're enjoying it. I like the stick/knife training in FMA, always good (see below!).

Let's see...will do the full list, because sometimes it's fun for me to work it out and see it.

- About 7-8 years of Judo under Sensei Mas Takahashi, Takahashi dojo Ottawa.
    - About 12 years of a Shaolin Five Animals based Kung Fu that incorporated concepts from JKD, Boxing, Muay Thai, Silat, and other stuff, and did heavy-to-full contact fighting (MMA gloves, mouthguards, sometimes a jock) under Sifu Kevin 'Badger' Jones, Young Forest Kung Fu, Ottawa.
    - About 10 years of what would become Siling Labuyo Arnis under Guro Kevin 'Badger' Jones (same guy, classes in same school at roughly the same time), Young Forest Kung Fu, Ottawa.
    - More than 14 years of various internal styles under Michael Babin, Ottawa, as a private student and member of his private students group class. Primarily Xingyi, but also Yang Taiji and Sun Taiji, along with some classical weapons work. Practical as well as form, resistance and unrehearsed training, free sparring with weapons, etc. Did a few months of Bagua under Mike as well, but ugh, my back was unable to handle it at the time.
    - A bundle of different courses/classes with other stuff over the years - American Heritage Fighting Arts with Pete Kautz, Combat Sambo with Ygor Yakimov, Chen Taiji, Shotokan Karate, etc. Basically poked my nose into other stuff just to experience it and see how it feels/what it does/how they train. Maybe pick up some things as well.

Total time, counting the Arnis and Kung Fu as simultaneous, is approaching 35 years.

Still training with a couple of Mike's senior students; Mike is largely retired, but brings me in for a private class once in a while, or gives me a month of Friday mornings. ^_^

I'm officially certified to teach the Young Forest Kung Fu Curriculum and Michael Babin's Yang Taiji, and have operated as both assistant instructor for Arnis and the primary grappling instructor at the Young Forest school.
    Damn Sharp! I knew you studied but that's hella impressive man. I love talking to people who know more than me about...basically anything, so always liked your MA posts!

This is my academy - https://www.johnmckeanacademy.co.uk/about-john-mckean Though I dont think John would mind if I said the site needs work! John teaches JKD, jiu jitsu and kickboxing classes, along with kids and teens classes. I know he's trained under Rick Young and Rick Faye, and just got his level instructor's certificate from Erik Paulson for combat submission wrestling.

There's so much going on with both Kali and JKD, its quite something. A year in and I've scratched the surface of the surface, I'd say. But I'm absolutely in it for the foreseeable future, it's done me a world of good mentally and physically.

I love the stick and knife aspect too, we recently started on knife and stick sumbrada, which is a lot of fun. Huge fan of trapping, too, though I appreciate the practice I'll need there to get even vaguely proficient is...considerable.

Grading this Sunday!

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

I took kenjutsu for like fifteen minutes about 18 years ago.

Would have done more, but circumstances kept delaying classes until I ended up having to move (again) right when classes would have been able to start. I got one free session, and tried to practice on my own for a bit, but, of course, I fell off really quickly.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Let's see, it's all in the past for the most part.

- Karate and Judo on and off when I was like a wee childer.
    - Chinese Kickboxing for 6 years (12 - 18)
    - At uni I took a kind of martial arts called Lau Guar Kuen, American Kenpo and Jiujitsu so 3 years there. (18 - 21)
    - While living at home post uni, I went back to Judo and did that for a year. (21 - 22)
    - Did one lesson of Capoeira which was morbidly expensive so I did not continue but fun enough. (24)
    - Did a like a year or two of Jiujitsu after moving to the city. Fell off due to an injury that took me out for a few months and I just didn't have the itch to go back. (Like 25 - 27(?))
    - I'm intending to go back to Judo during next year, if my finances allow. (34)

So it's been like five years since I practised anything.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 12-06-2022 at 07:57 AM.

Swiss army nerd

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Let's see, it's all in the past for the most part.

- Karate and Judo on and off when I was like a wee childer.
    - Chinese Kickboxing for 6 years (12 - 18)
    - At uni I took a kind of martial arts called Lau Guar Kuen, American Kenpo and Jiujitsu so 3 years there. (18 - 21)
    - While living at home post uni, I went back to Judo and did that for a year. (21 - 22)
    - Did one lesson of Capoeira which was morbidly expensive so I did not continue but fun enough. (24)
    - Did a like a year or two of Jiujitsu after moving to the city. Fell off due to an injury that took me out for a few months and I just didn't have the itch to go back. (Like 25 - 27(?))
    - I'm intending to go back to Judo during next year, if my finances allow. (34)

So it's been like five years since I practised anything.
    Very cool! Judo is the MA I'd take up if I had more time/money, I think, but as it stands, the JKD/Kali is about as much as I can handle.