"Stegosaurus!" OrangeRangerPete's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    Limit dance
    I like that even Power Rangers gets a mention.

Hey, at least DBZ wasn't giving kids epileptic seizures.
    Australian adventurer, and Orange Ranger.

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    I've bumped into a number of them that have been quite enjoyable to read, in their own way. And some with absolutely gorgeous art.
    The last few years, I've definitely come to appreciate art in comics in ways I didn't before. I enjoyed good art before, of course, but now I feel like I'm really seeing it, beyond just it's function to move the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    I'm becoming quite experienced with a Manhwa version of Isekai manga - rom-com-drama kind of thing where the central character (in this case, always a woman) ends up 'living in fantasy romance novel' or 'replaying their fantasy life again'. It's less a power-trip kind of thing, and sometimes the art in these Manhwa is fantastic.

There's a lot of them, now (some I have really enjoyed, others...less-so) - it's so much a thing that they sometimes even gloss over the 'how did this happen?' part in a couple of panels. Almost like 'Yeah, you know the story, I got hit by a bus and ended up in this other world'. And some of them have started lampooning the genre somewhat, or the 'standard' characters in the genre (the male lead, as an example).

So I ran into The Villainess Flips the Script. It is another one that leans a little into the 'we're at least poking the genre with a pointed stick' kind of thing. And one thing it does do is give me endless reaction pictures I can use for my own purposes. Mostly because the hyper-competent male love interest is a complete doofus when it comes to dealing with people, feelings, anything that doesn't require him to be upright and highly skilled.

Attachment 130749
    Oh, nice! I'm glad to actually know someone into these genres.

I'd highly recommend I Will be the Matriarch in This Life. It has absolutely gorgeous art and a lot of likable, layered characters and appropriately timed comedy. The protagonist's story does involve power with romance much more on the slow burn, but the story handles this power struggle better than most isekai (it's actually also a one-off regressor story, and the regression matters way more than the isekai). That's because there's no flashy magic battles or overpowered sword fights. The focus instead is on navigating politics, guiding family members, and cultivating an actual base of supporters. The protagonist just happens to be pretty smart, bolder than she was in her previous life, and able to leverage some points of knowledge of the world she inhabits because of her regression.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    The last few years, I've definitely come to appreciate art in comics in ways I didn't before. I enjoyed good art before, of course, but now I feel like I'm really seeing it, beyond just it's function to move the story.
    True, that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Falcon View Post
    Oh, nice! I'm glad to actually know someone into these genres.

I'd highly recommend I Will be the Matriarch in This Life. It has absolutely gorgeous art and a lot of likable, layered characters and appropriately timed comedy. The protagonist's story does involve power with romance much more on the slow burn, but the story handles this power struggle better than most isekai (it's actually also a one-off regressor story, and the regression matters way more than the isekai). That's because there's no flashy magic battles or overpowered sword fights. The focus instead is on navigating politics, guiding family members, and cultivating an actual base of supporters. The protagonist just happens to be pretty smart, bolder than she was in her previous life, and able to leverage some points of knowledge of the world she inhabits because of her regression.
    Coolness. Yeah, that sounds like the genre - it's almost never about flashy fighting and raw power, and the central character's power is more in how they move through the society/fix their mistakes or the issues in the original story in which they find themselves (Rebirth of a Tyrannical Empress has both, but the raw power is still deemphasized in the storyline). I'll check out that one. Thanks!
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

That makes me wonder is the Manhwa Pigpen an Isekai? spoilers:
    since it largely takes place inside the MC's mind, who is in a coma.
    end of spoilers
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Quote Originally Posted by bruceleegreyhulk View Post
    That makes me wonder is the Manhwa Pigpen an Isekai? spoilers:
    since it largely takes place inside the MC's mind, who is in a coma.
    end of spoilers
    Not really, Isekai is literally about transporting into another world/universe. Being trapped in a 'world' that exists solely within a person's mind doesn't count. Same with virtual simulation stories.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    Not really, Isekai is literally about transporting into another world/universe. Being trapped in a 'world' that exists solely within a person's mind doesn't count. Same with virtual simulation stories.

So a person being in a coma and then having the tech to go inside said person's dreams don't count as Isekai. spoilers:
    A character in the Manhwa actually goes into the MC's mind and uses an avatar to pretend to be someone else to find out the truth of if the Mc killed his son or not.
    end of spoilers This means that animes like Paprika which are about entering the minds of others aren't Isekai.

this means that SAO isn't Isekai and neither is Inuyasha. No matter how much people say it is since technically Kagome doesn't get transported to another world, she just travels back through time.
    My Forum check it out

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    Is that from the 90s or something?
    I assume so yea
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Last edited by Sharkerbob; 04-17-2023 at 06:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    That was real nice. I enjoyed the interaction between 'Bobbi' and the gatekeeper.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Dungeons and Dragons movie is fun

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    That was real nice. I enjoyed the interaction between 'Bobbi' and the gatekeeper.
    Thanks for reading! Glad you enjoyed it!

I probably should have been clear from the first one, but to anyone else who might be interested, these are roughly 50-page comic books made with Minecraft and Comic Life 3.

"Stegosaurus!" OrangeRangerPete's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Dungeons and Dragons movie is fun
    I got to see an advance screening of it, back at the start of March, with some of my besties. I really loved it. I thought it was great. Very MCU-style, but I like that style, so, it worked for me.

The paladin fight scene was beautiful.
    Australian adventurer, and Orange Ranger.

My Forum check it out

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeRangerPete View Post
    I got to see an advance screening of it, back at the start of March, with some of my besties. I really loved it. I thought it was great. Very MCU-style, but I like that style, so, it worked for me.

The paladin fight scene was beautiful.
    Agreed.

Really liked the Paladin.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM