The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Latest Immortal Hulk.

spoilers:
    Hulk inhales a character who can transform into different gasses/mists, currently in the form of sulfuric acid. He breathes the character out into another enemy's eyes. The misty/gas character then says 'I'm becoming alkali, it'll neutralize the burn!'
    end of spoilers

Protip - consult someone who A - understands science, and B - has an actual working knowledge of such things rather than a theoretical one, before writing about science. I'm pretty sure, for example, that Beadle is cackling while reading this.

Putting a basic solution strong enough to 'neutralize' sulfuric acid into someone's eyes is like taking someone who is on fire and stuffing them in liquid nitrogen. It'll put out the fire, sure, but.... In this case, absolutely it'll neutralize the sulfuric acid. That comes with a couple of caveats.

1. A neutralization of this sort, with sulfuric acid, is a highly exothermic reaction. Which means heat. Lots of heat. Maybe not so much 'heat to the point of the eyes boiling' with just 'misty' sulfuric acid, but it's not going to help;
    2. Unless one absolutely gets the exact amount of basic solution into the person's eyes to neutralize the acid perfectly, it likely means there's an excess of basic solution. Want a good example of what basic solution does? Try bleach. So they're swapping acid in the character's eyes for effectively bleach in the character's eyes. This isn't a good exchange.

There's a reason why every, single health and safety document for this kind of situation is 'Flush eyes with WATER'. Flush the stuff out, not 'attempt to neutralize within someone's eyeballs'.

Ugh. Kids, don't do this at home.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    And now I wish I were in the UK to vote as well.

...I'll just have to wait to participate in Canada's election, and watch as Canada votes once again for the two parties that don't give shits about the people they supposedly represent.
    It's mostly local mayoral elections today so it's not much in the grand scheme of things, though we do have an exciting by-election in a very complicated marginal seat. Which will probably go to the Tories unless something wild happens.

Here's a pretty solid primer of what the situation is if you're interested. The by-election kind of serves for microcosm of the overwhelming issues with our political landscape as it currently exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    It's mostly local mayoral elections today so it's not much in the grand scheme of things, though we do have an exciting by-election in a very complicated marginal seat. Which will probably go to the Tories unless something wild happens.

Here's a pretty solid primer of what the situation is if you're interested. The by-election kind of serves for microcosm of the overwhelming issues with our political landscape as it currently exists.
    Thanks, Nik - I'll be reading that.

In other news, I'm booked for Monday for my first dose of Pfizer.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Wow. Situation not great for Labour.
    Why are we here?

Thanks, Nik - I'll be reading that.

In other news, I'm booked for Monday for my first dose of Pfizer.
    Good news, glad you're getting the vaccine. Is it just you or are others in your family able to get it as well?

My husband and I will get our second Moderna shots tomorrow. As far as birthday presents go, I guess it qualifies as a nice one.

---

The U.S. election system is fairly simple with just the two parties, however lately I'm not so sure that is a good thing. Good luck to those in the UK, I hope you elect people who don't mess things up too badly.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Good news, glad you're getting the vaccine. Is it just you or are others in your family able to get it as well?

My husband and I will get our second Moderna shots tomorrow. As far as birthday presents go, I guess it qualifies as a nice one.
    Congrats on getting the second shot. My wife will qualify for a vaccine in a week, I think - she's two years younger, putting her in the 45-49 age group.

The U.S. election system is fairly simple with just the two parties, however lately I'm not so sure that is a good thing. Good luck to those in the UK, I hope you elect people who don't mess things up too badly.
    Canada is ostensibly a multi-party system, but thanks to how the Libs and Cons play their games, and the general apathy of the Canadian Voter, the only benefit that comes from multi-party for us is the occasional minority government. That...could change, there's an upswell in the New Democratic Party's popularity in recent years and they're becoming more of a force. Thank goodness.
    Why are we here?

It's an interesting one. It's got some really good bits of writing in it and the art is consistently good or (in my opinion) excellent once Olivier Copiel takes on the book.

I think the thing I like most about it is that stuff actually matters more. Like... there are no retcons, no status quo to uphold and it really goes places. It was incredibly refreshing to read when I was getting burnt out on how weightless the big two felt.

I do hope you enjoy it!
    Image is a constant source of joy for me.

If you haven't, I'd recommend taking a peek at "Low".
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Wow. Situation not great for Labour.
    Well, this by-election is in Hartlepool. Don’t necessarily take it as being too meaningful.

They’re an odd bunch up there. Legend has it they once hanged a monkey, believing it to be a French spy.

But yes, Labour remains largely unelectable, despite us currently having a Conservative PM who is morality and competency vacuum.

“Well, I know he knows everything about nothing, and not too much about that, and if he can’t shag it he’ll just lie about it, but at least he’s not the current Labour Party.” is the general climate among the general populace of Brexitshire-on-Sea.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    “Well, I know he knows everything about nothing, and not too much about that, and if he can’t shag it he’ll just lie about it, but at least he’s not the current Labour Party.” is the general climate among the general populace of Brexitshire-on-Sea.
    The more things change, the more they stay the same. Only real difference on this side of the pond is that ours have a different accent.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Image is a constant source of joy for me.

If you haven't, I'd recommend taking a peek at "Low".
    I'll put in on the list.

I'll put in on the list.
    Written by Rick Remender, and with art done by Greg Toccini until Issue #8, I feel it's a hidden gem. Post #8, it's still good, but the art shifts a bit as Dave McCraig takes over.

Arx Inosaan

Latest Immortal Hulk.

spoilers:
    Hulk inhales a character who can transform into different gasses/mists, currently in the form of sulfuric acid. He breathes the character out into another enemy's eyes. The misty/gas character then says 'I'm becoming alkali, it'll neutralize the burn!'
    end of spoilers

Protip - consult someone who A - understands science, and B - has an actual working knowledge of such things rather than a theoretical one, before writing about science. I'm pretty sure, for example, that Beadle is cackling while reading this.

Putting a basic solution strong enough to 'neutralize' sulfuric acid into someone's eyes is like taking someone who is on fire and stuffing them in liquid nitrogen. It'll put out the fire, sure, but.... In this case, absolutely it'll neutralize the sulfuric acid. That comes with a couple of caveats.

1. A neutralization of this sort, with sulfuric acid, is a highly exothermic reaction. Which means heat. Lots of heat. Maybe not so much 'heat to the point of the eyes boiling' with just 'misty' sulfuric acid, but it's not going to help;
    2. Unless one absolutely gets the exact amount of basic solution into the person's eyes to neutralize the acid perfectly, it likely means there's an excess of basic solution. Want a good example of what basic solution does? Try bleach. So they're swapping acid in the character's eyes for effectively bleach in the character's eyes. This isn't a good exchange.

There's a reason why every, single health and safety document for this kind of situation is 'Flush eyes with WATER'. Flush the stuff out, not 'attempt to neutralize within someone's eyeballs'.

Ugh. Kids, don't do this at home.
    I was looking up sulfuric acid and water. I found out that add water to sulfuric acid would cause a highly exothermic reaction ( concentrated sulfuric acid).
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Just got my second shot.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post

Just got my second shot.

But seriously! Way to go, Cleric!
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.