Page 17 of 2458 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127671175171017 ... LastLast
    nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

so our boy onimaru lost to the yokozuna and thus became a depressed boy.

so reina is trying to break him out of his funk.

so i got a strike on youtube channel because apparently me talking about my channel and my book that's coming out in a week is considered spam.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Well In the end I do get final approval so I can screen out sheets that abuse that too much.
    So this is a system just for use by you in a specific game?

That obviates most of my issues; if you're going to be squishing anything you don't like, and characters have no growth, then there's no worry about 'balance'.

Lack of progression is an issue, since the Game isn't really based on levels. I could implement a level system and tie things like Stamina and health to that instead of my current system If I need to though.
    One doesn't need a level system for progression. Most Pen and Paper RPG's don't actually USE level systems any more.

Goku
    I don't actually know much about Goku. ^_^

So, why not just make up all of the acceptable characters yourself? Offer up a list for people to play?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    Hmm... Yeah, I can see that. I guess it depends on the group. FATE works like that, but the sessions I've listened to on podcasts seem to go well enough without the players trying to warp the campaign too much, and once I got a feel for the system, I liked it. But then you have Cypher System, which is where players gain experience by the GM just throwing random **** at them, and the players can then immediately use that experience to negate that very scenario or some such.
    That's the kind of stuff I mean.

I don't WANT players OR the GM futzing around with each other's stuff. Players are limited to the character. They can control their character to try to control the situation. The GM is limited to...NOT the player's character. And they should not be actively trying to be an antagonist for the players. <-- This is my opinion.

Honestly, you'd probably find the book pretty revolting due to its subject matter
    I get the idea from the character sheet...

-Rules light and narrative focused, with character abilities and the results of rolls being "flavored" to match a scene, rather than micro-managed with specific effects. For example, a character making a successful defense roll could be described as either fully blocking or dodging the hit, whichever makes more sense for the character to do, or for the situation to allow.
    Blocking versus Dodging is just 'defence rolls' - FX don't so much matter (unless they system applies circumstantial issues With Regards To blocking versus dodging, which some do).

-The game's premise can be boiled down to "humans vs demons after the demons have already conquered most of the planet". The intended "level" of the game is sort of in the "pulp adventure to street level supers" range. You can be a normal human with military gear, alien tech equivalents, and/or enchanted equipment, with options for having "street level" psionic powers. The demons are mostly demihumans whom have some kind of special power gimmick, such as an elemental ability or shape shifting.
    Certainly more easy to balance without ridiculously unrealistic effects when everyone is on the same level.

-Characters do not have core stats, instead there is a Skill List that all characters (who are humans) have access to: Athletics, Drive/Ride, Investigation, Lore, Melee, Might, Presence, Shooting, Sneaking, Technology (Mechanics/Electronics), Wilderness, Willpower. Every challenge in the game utilizes one of these skills. You allocate points to each skill, up to five max.
    Nothing wrong with that.

-The game uses a d6 dice pool. You roll the number of dice equal to the number of points allocated to a skill. You must roll a 5 or 6 on a die to succeed. One or two successful roles is a Success, three or more is a Super Success, and the GM can allow an extra benefit to result from that roll.
    DP9 has a similar system, though obviously more crunchy. But otherwise, yeah.

-Characters also have Special Resources, which grant basic powers based on certain themes. For example, three characters can each have a "Fire Blast" power, but one uses alien technology to shoot heat rays, the other uses witch magic to shoot fireballs, the third uses pyrokinetic flame blasts.
    Does the 'tag' on the power have an effect in-game? Ie, is it possible for the magical fire blast to gain some kind of bonus against someone who happens to be weak against magic, where the tech one wouldn't?

-Damage is managed in two ways: a Damage Track for physical wounds. A Success hit causes one notch on the Damage Track, a Super Success causes two. There's some variables that can change this. Damage can eventually lead to being Knocked Out or receiving a Fatal Wound, after which another hit causes Death, so there's some emphasis on helping rescue and revive downed allies. Some damage can also cause a Hindrance, such as a broken leg, which can modify the challenge being faced.
    Simple, but not without some complexity. Good stuff.

-Second damage is Mental Strain, which comes into play with psychic attacks and brainwashing attempts. Success hit causes one notch on the track, Super Success two, although again, there can be modifying variables. Mental Strain can lead a character to become Broken, in which they are rendered docile and unable to attack or defend. Another successful hit can lead to Enslavement, in which case they are under enemy control (like a Charm spell). It could also lead to a Knock-Out or possibly Death, if that's what the attacker is going for, but usually its a battle of mental dominance.
    Did see that in the stats.

-While you're intended to play a human, there are "special classes" allowed such as an alien, a genetically engineered poison demon, and captured witches. These three classes are pretty much pre-gen characters, with little to no options for adjustment, due to the nature of their lore in the setting.
    Fair enough - specific game setting, players shouldn't complain about that kind of thing if they have already agreed to play the game.

Interesting.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 08-14-2018 at 04:37 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    So this is a system just for use by you in a specific game?

That obviates most of my issues; if you're going to be squishing anything you don't like, and characters have no growth, then there's no worry about 'balance'.
    Yeah, it's a one game thing.

One doesn't need a level system for progression. Most Pen and Paper RPG's don't actually USE level systems any more.

So, why not just make up all of the acceptable characters yourself? Offer up a list for people to play?
    That's kind of the plan. I've got a list of characters that I'm going to make character sheets for, and the players will choose from it and get a character. I'll then give them a chance to look over the sheets and correct any errors regarding the characters that I've made.

(I'll also let them try to make their own sheets if they're from a series I don't have enough familiarity with, such as Warhammer or Negima)

The main reason I asked for Feedback was to make sure I could explain the system well.

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

Well, back to thinking about adventures of my Star Trek characters.

...Mainly how my Chief Engineer is a grumpy self proclaimed space-phobe and his best pal the Chief Doctor, a Klingon whose considered a weirdo among his people because he doesn't care much of their traditions and customs.

...And they're the oldest members of the crew!

Quote Originally Posted by iron_twister View Post
    well, back to thinking about adventures of my star trek characters.

...mainly how my chief engineer is a grumpy self proclaimed space-phobe and his best pal the chief doctor, a klingon whose considered a weirdo among his people because he doesn't care much of their traditions and customs.

...and they're the oldest members of the crew!
    lololololololololol

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Abridged Goku VS Frieza
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    lololololololololol
    So far, I like where it's going. Both Arn and Klag are Dominion War veterans and both change after it.

Arn was sick of space after nearly getting killed god knows how many times in the war and spent most of his career on Earth. Klag doesn't go back to the Klingon Empire and instead joins Starfleet as a doctor.

...Then many years later Klag made a suggestion that Arn should be chief engineer of this refitted ship that needs a new crew...And the two will stick like glue ever since.

Arn was pissed. XD

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

That's the kind of stuff I mean.

I don't WANT players OR the GM futzing around with each other's stuff. Players are limited to the character. They can control their character to try to control the situation. The GM is limited to...NOT the player's character. And they should not be actively trying to be an antagonist for the players. <-- This is my opinion.
    Makes sense.

I get the idea from the character sheet...
    Don't worry, it's worse than you're thinking. :P

Blocking versus Dodging is just 'defence rolls' - FX don't so much matter (unless they system applies circumstantial issues With Regards To blocking versus dodging, which some do).
    True.

Certainly more easy to balance without ridiculously unrealistic effects when everyone is on the same level.
    Definitely. I prefer games that have a thematic focus over a "try to account for absolutely everything" sandbox.

DP9 has a similar system, though obviously more crunchy. But otherwise, yeah.
    Interesting. Haven't seen that one yet.

Does the 'tag' on the power have an effect in-game? Ie, is it possible for the magical fire blast to gain some kind of bonus against someone who happens to be weak against magic, where the tech one wouldn't?
    It's mostly for the sake of narrative/setting immersion. The alien characters will prefer their tech over Earth tech, and won't use magic, witches refuse to use tech of either sort.

For combat, there's some elemental weaknesses, i.e. the demon that can turn into a chemical cloud can't be physically damaged in that state, but takes double damage from flames and can be Hindered by ice.

Simple, but not without some complexity. Good stuff.

Fair enough - specific game setting, players shouldn't complain about that kind of thing if they have already agreed to play the game.

Interesting.
    Thanks, glad you liked it!

Youtube, you can kiss my black ass!

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    Youtube, you can kiss my black ass!
    What happened, hoss?
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    What happened, hoss?
    i posted a update vid on my channel, talking about why i haven't been uploading much and promoting my book. just 7 minutes long.

5 minutes after i posted it, i get a strike because it violated some guideline that i can't tell what it is. it says it's spam and/or telling people to go to another site or some bullshit.

i appealed it and they got back to me. they upheld it. so not only can i not make a dime off my vids but and i got a strike on my channel, it seems i can't talk about my book on my channel.