Page 964 of 2454 FirstFirst ... 4648649149549609619629639649659669679689741014106414641964 ... LastLast
Results 14,446 to 14,460 of 36800
    Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    "the vat of acid episode" was equal parts crazy, cool, touching, tragic and fucked up.
    I had the exact opposite reaction.

This and the story train episode are remarkably antagonistic pieces of work, directly highlighting the fact that the characters will never grow, change or have any real meaning in their actions and further implying that people who want that for the show are stupid for wanting it.

Rick and Morty really lost me over season 3 because they made a point of ending on what amounted to effectively a hard reset on the status quo. Additionally, they had Morty's Mindblowers, which undermined the structural integrity of the main characters, and squandered Beth's character arc in Beth's World.

This new season has continued in that vein.

Nothing matters, there is no consequence.

They'll do a bit and it'll just be that - a bit. Morty went through a ton of stuff in The Vat of Acid which I assume will continue to have no impact on his character or the bearing of the show because the show is weightless now.

Now, there isn't anything intrinsically wrong with that, and perhaps it's not fair to judge a show by criteria that it's clearly not interested in pursuing, but it is deeply unsatisfying to see in a show that seemed to pride itself on its character work and character writing go in such a toothless direction.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 05-26-2020 at 12:39 AM.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeRangerPete View Post
    I'm so glad I'm not the only person who thinks this, whenever those big, flashy light-sabre battles start happening. It's like, there's always at least one moment where one of the fighters starts swinging his sword around like he's having a seizure, and it would be so easy for his (or her) opponent to stab forward, the end. That's always bothered me.
    Anyone who has actually trained in weapons feels the same. It has become difficult for me to watch Hollywood fight movies.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

well, according to shadi, that grip the guy was using was one of the worst way to hold a sword in a actual fight. it's hard to hold, gives you no leverage for your swings, and makes any kind of defense impossible.
    It also obviates one of the weapons most important characteristics: reach. Nobody uses swords in ice pick grip. Not for real.

...I guess someone could look through historical record, and find one or two examples? They would be outliers.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

The last of us II has been banned in the middle east and north africa

https://realotakugamer.com/the-last-...t-north-africa

what? for real? considering how the praise it was getting, i thought it was gonna be a masterpiece.

geez? really?
    They try to sell it as a megacrossover a la Infinity War but it really isn't. The few characters it cares to feature in any sort of detail all get some great moments,
    spoilers:
    Superman going all "Puny God" on Darkseid, Constantine breaking Wonder Woman out of her brainwashing, Raven turning her father on Darkseid
    end of spoilers
    but everyone else is just cannon-fodder illustrated in the most gruesome manner possible.

Ultimately my opinion of the movie is gonna have to wait until we find out the extent of the ending. spoilers:
    If there is still some significant connecting tissue between the pre and post Apokalips War movie-verses then this is a mildly entertaining if unnecessarily bloody interlude. If this is really the end of this particular universe than this was an unbelievably crappy way to go out.
    end of spoilers

Shuumatsu no Valkyrie:

A two double page spreads spent on a missile dropkick.

This is very much my sort of thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Shuumatsu no Valkyrie:

A two double page spreads spent on a missile dropkick.

This is very much my sort of thing!
    After the fight between Jack and Heracles, this fight is a bit underwhelming starting off. Granted, this is the first chapter so anything goes, but it feels kinda meh, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Yun Lao View Post
    After the fight between Jack and Heracles, this fight is a bit underwhelming starting off. Granted, this is the first chapter so anything goes, but it feels kinda meh, in my opinion.
    Yun, baby.

Two double page spreads on a single dropkick.

How can you not love that?

Shiva himself, so far, is a bit meh. I wanted some more gonzo **** from him from the off as he's been talking himself up for like the whole series.

But this Raiden guy? Loving his energy.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

I had the exact opposite reaction.

This and the story train episode are remarkably antagonistic pieces of work, directly highlighting the fact that the characters will never grow, change or have any real meaning in their actions and further implying that people who want that for the show are stupid for wanting it.

Rick and Morty really lost me over season 3 because they made a point of ending on what amounted to effectively a hard reset on the status quo. Additionally, they had Morty's Mindblowers, which undermined the structural integrity of the main characters, and squandered Beth's character arc in Beth's World.

This new season has continued in that vein.

Nothing matters, there is no consequence.

They'll do a bit and it'll just be that - a bit. Morty went through a ton of stuff in The Vat of Acid which I assume will continue to have no impact on his character or the bearing of the show because the show is weightless now.

Now, there isn't anything intrinsically wrong with that, and perhaps it's not fair to judge a show by criteria that it's clearly not interested in pursuing, but it is deeply unsatisfying to see in a show that seemed to pride itself on its character work and character writing go in such a toothless direction.
    i don't really expect all that from the show anymore. i just like being entertained by the various weird and fucked up things that happen.

makes me feel happy to see subutai getting more notice in the eyes of the gen pop. this dude was a man who was born for war and kicked more ass than anyone in history.

i don't really expect all that from the show anymore. i just like being entertained by the various weird and fucked up things that happen.
    Oh I don't expect it either. Like I said, season 3 systemically killed any expectations I had for the show trying to do anything beyond set pieces and bits.

And that's perfectly fine. The most recent episode where Rick had sex with a planet. That was a perfectly fine concept episode.

But where this season has surprised me has been in how they've specifically called out people who wanted character development and stakes and evolution of their characters multiple times. It's weirdly antagonistic.

Oh I don't expect it either. Like I said, season 3 systemically killed any expectations I had for the show trying to do anything beyond set pieces and bits.

And that's perfectly fine. The most recent episode where Rick had sex with a planet. That was a perfectly fine concept episode.

But where this season has surprised me has been in how they've specifically called out people who wanted character development and stakes and evolution of their characters multiple times. It's weirdly antagonistic.
    at this point, i just look and judge each ep based on it's own merits. like watching them in a bubble. i don't expect any kind of major character or plot developments and just look at each ep like a stand alone tale. i enjoyed watching morty deal with the "save state" device as i call it, but i knew it wouldn't stick or evolve more beyond what he already is. it was a just a nice story.

Quote Originally Posted by Yun Lao View Post
    i'm gonna have to share the opinion here. not too into this fight really. mainly because i'm either unfamiliar or uninterested in the fighters. that may change since this is just the first chapter of the fight.

i'm more interested in what buddha is doing. and as a Buddhist, that is a..........interesting interpretation of him.

Extraordinary Member

i'm gonna have to share the opinion here. not too into this fight really. mainly because i'm either unfamiliar or uninterested in the fighters. that may change since this is just the first chapter of the fight.

i'm more interested in what buddha is doing. and as a Buddhist, that is a..........interesting interpretation of him.
    Hindu mythology is fascinating, I would highly recomend looking into. It's the most anime of all the mythologies.