“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Extraordinary Member

Oh goodie. Disney has acquired the streaming license for Bleach: Thousand-Year Blood War.

So I guess I'll have to get Disney+ now if I want to watch the series legally. And I do.

Fantastic Member

Overly Sarcastic Procuctions looks at Conservation of Ninjutsu:

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

I know it is absolutely beloved so far, but man, I *really* do not like Netflix Sandman. I mean it's... good? I guess. But hoo boy does it rub me the wrong way.

spoilers:
    I feel like they lacked the courage to make Johanna a Constantine-level disaster of a human being. Like they made Constantine a woman but didn't have the courage to smudge up her makeup a bit. I do not believe this person has trouble sleeping or will end up with lung cancer. At least they pronounced the name right.

It feels like Sandman with all the colour washed out. The Corinthian is fantastic and I like that they integrated him into the plot a bit more, but because it's a Netflix series and doesn't have to be in any way episodic, they've given every single other villain a paper thin sympathetic motivation so like oh Dr Destiny just wants to make people honest and oh the shapeshifter who replaced Brute and Glob is just trying to help Jed (still trying to make a second dreaming because...? I mean she could have come into the waking world and just helped?). Jed Sandman was cute at least. They even made the Burgess family less shitty. Lots of the *scenes* are there, but they're just like... eh. It all feels very weak, and it's sure as hell driving home that comics was the perfect medium for the original story.

There's a bunch of things I can complain about where the response would be "well that's a concession to making it for Netflix" and I'm kind of like, yeah exactly. The art and structure is so much of what it was that the Netflix series feels gutted to me. I'm sure if I weren't judging it as an adaptation, I'd have a more generous view, but it is an adaptation. The fact that I know it can be better is making it feel worse.

The actors are great. The guy playing Morpheus was a good pick. Lucien is great, and I really liked Desire. The Corinthian is, like I said, fantastic. Gilbert rules. There's a lot that's good, but bits of it are not working for me at all. It feels like a good kinda supernatural intrigue show, I guess.

I liked it at the start, but I'm kind of just watching to finish it now
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by BitVyper; 08-13-2022 at 08:08 AM.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

I've been on holiday so haven't had time to watch it but, I am broadly uneasy about it.

Or, perhaps more accurately, my reaction to it. I agree that Sandman is a great comic story and uses the medium in really clever and challenging ways to make its points.

I don't really... care? I'm like politely interested I suppose but... I really don't think it's a good idea for me to watch it.

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

It took awhile for it to dawn on me that I really wasn't enjoying it. I think the real turning point was

spoilers:
    Hell. Particularly the oldest game. It was just really bleh.
    end of spoilers
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    Yeay, more grimdark, gross out nonsense inbound.

I love how Goku is nonchalantly laying out assassination plans for Cell and Frieza right in front of them and there isn't a damn thing they can do about it.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

So, my life is being...uncomfortable right now, like a lot - so I'd like to know how you guys are doing. Normal things? Good things?
    (Yeah sorry, for the weirdness, been a while, but just need some place old and familiar to chat)

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Splatoon 3 and Pokemon Scarlet and Violet are coming out soon. So The MunchKING is HYPED.

Those are normal and good things? Right?
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    Splatoon 3 and Pokemon Scarlet and Violet are coming out soon. So The MunchKING is HYPED.

Those are normal and good things? Right?
    I never played Splatoon, and I haven't played any pokemon games in over 15 years at least. But yes, normal!

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post

I love how Goku is nonchalantly laying out assassination plans for Cell and Frieza right in front of them and there isn't a damn thing they can do about it.
    That is funny.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    So, my life is being...uncomfortable right now, like a lot - so I'd like to know how you guys are doing. Normal things? Good things?
    (Yeah sorry, for the weirdness, been a while, but just need some place old and familiar to chat)
    Pretty good. Came back from Comic-Con last month, that was cool. Currently hanging out with family and actually got to continue one of our D&D campaigns last night (after six month hiatus), so pretty solid.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Yeay, more grimdark, gross out nonsense inbound.

Rather Despair inducing isn't it?
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.