Page 248 of 2439 FirstFirst ... 1481982382442452462472482492502512522582983487481248 ... LastLast
Results 3,706 to 3,720 of 36572
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    spoilers:
    Totally agree on the effects. I actually thought the descent INTO the Trench; with all the Trench creatures converging beneath the surface; was better than the escape, but your point still stands.

Also agree on Black Manta. His costume always looked dumb in the comics, so having him AND orange-n-green Arthur in the same movie was a bold move.... that they seriously pulled off visually. I just wish they hadn’t made him Diet Killmonger.

And I think I already said I thought the plot was simple but worked, and that Mera was great. So that’s all good.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Jumbled my words there, I did mean the descent into the trench. I was thinking that they were escaping the monsters called the trench. Oops.

And thinking about it, Black Manta could probably have been cut from the movie and saved for the sequel. That might've given Orm a bit more time to develop beyond his evil brother trope.
    end of spoilers

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

MunchKING is Villain KING!FEAR ME!!

Or something.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    MunchKING is Villain KING!FEAR ME!!

Or something.
    *quakes with fear*

(Not in any way ironically)

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Ah yes, Erum, the City of Pillars II, now with more slavery.
    Curse your glib tongue!
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Aquaman is a fun film but burdened with way too much fat to really allow the good moments to sing. DC should continue in this more inventive direction but need to be a bit more focussed to really make their films work.

The Hurd Ya Saw crew will have a big podcast on it out next week. It's quite hysterical and a bit drunken but we had fun.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Beadle, question:

spoilers:
    How was Black Manta anything like Killmonger? If anything Orm was much more Killmonger-esq. Orm was related to the royal bloodline and the main character, actually had something resembling a good point to justify his global war effort (environmentalism vs racial discrimination and reparations) and had multiple one-to-one duels with the protagonist using thematically symmetrical weaponry and skillsets for the fate of their kingdom.

Manta was just a dude who was there who Aquaman mostly ran through with no issue on the two occasions they fought. He really could have been dropped from the film with no issue.
    end of spoilers

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

So apparently a beloved Sega Saturn RPG that was thought lost forever isn't actually lost but has legal issues preventing a re-release

Why do sword experts always cite the length of a katana as a fairly short when discussing its advantages and disadvantages? Longer katanas are just called odachi or nodachi (admittedly a little confusing because the terms also refer to anti-cavalry swords, which have a way longer handle).

I think that bull crap is because Katannas are mainly made for chopping and chopping blades in general are shorter ( I mean a axe, is basically a short curved heavy metal blade on a shaft, a pole axe is same deal just shaft is longer.)

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

Well, just now found out about the manga known as Blaster Knuckle. A tale of a man taking on the KKK.

...If the KKK are man eating demons in disguise and our hero uses a gauntlet/shotgun hybrid with superhuman boxing to kill em. O_o

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Falcon View Post
    Why do sword experts always cite the length of a katana as a fairly short when discussing its advantages and disadvantages? Longer katanas are just called odachi or nodachi (admittedly a little confusing because the terms also refer to anti-cavalry swords, which have a way longer handle).
    Because 'long'swords are also too short. Anything short of a two-handed sword is at a serious disadvantage in terms of fighting against the much more easily made weapon known as "a sharpened stick", which is why the usual equipment for most of history was a polearm and then a shorter blade for backup.

More on the point, "katana" explicitly refers to the shorter variant of Japanese swords; they were invented after the longer ones (in order to be able to be used inside buildings, I've heard), they just have a lot more notoriety in the modern day.

The fact that the longer variant lacked a standardized length doesn't make it any easier to discuss them in general terms.

So, the katana is considered too short as a main weapon because it is too short. The same is true of the traditional longsword most people imagine knights wielding. It's just that those two models captured the imagination for whatever reason and have become what people think of when they picture swords.

If you want to know if a weapon is of appropriate length, consider how many steps you would have to take inside of the range of a guy with a polearm before you could strike him. If the answer is more than one, it's too short. If the answer is exactly one, it depends. If the answer is zero, it's the right length.
    Last edited by Siriel; 12-15-2018 at 09:43 PM.