Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    Here's how extremely badly Legendary fucked up GvK for me - I have refused to watch all trailers for this and GvK2: More Monkey Poo. Like that movie was such a bitter disappointment it completely killed the MonsterVerse for me.

Well, I'm glad I liked GvK. Probably among my higher end for the series, behind Skull Island
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Here's how extremely badly Legendary fucked up GvK for me - I have refused to watch all trailers for this and GvK2: More Monkey Poo. Like that movie was such a bitter disappointment it completely killed the MonsterVerse for me.
    How'd they ruin it for you if I may ask.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    Well, I'm glad I liked GvK. Probably among my higher end for the series, behind Skull Island
    I liked Skull Island, I loved Godzilla 2014. Everything since though has been a miss...

I liked Skull Island, I loved Godzilla 2014. Everything since though has been a miss...
    Ah, yeah. I got you.

To be honest I felt it was solid. I think the focus on the human members was the only point where it struggled but the fights were good, and the way they handled the final fight was acceptable.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 10-17-2023 at 07:11 PM.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Yeah I think it was fine. The fights were good, I liked the worldbuilding and I appreciated how crazy it got because that's fine for me in Godzilla (and just in general I accept that nowadays, the details of for example the movie Malignant when all is revealed had me cracking up and appreciating it) and I ignored the human parts.

This was as opposed to KOM, where I felt it was pretty boring overall.
    -Stephen McCranie

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

When are they going to finally just do a Godzilla movie with no humans whatsoever?

I don't mind humans in monster movies. Issue is there's almost always an issue with balance and the story, but like. Both Godzilla movies were *good* when it comes to that aspect.

GvK was certainly the weakest of the three in that aspect, but it also- for me- wasn't to the point where I didn't enjoy the movie overall.

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    When are they going to finally just do a Godzilla movie with no humans whatsoever?
    When they can figure out how to make it work I suppose. I know that GvK was one of the movies that felt like it was definitely leaning more to monster content than humans. Stuff like Kong exploring the underground alone was very cool.

I also imagine it's tied to the origins of the IP. Godzilla the original was much more of a human interest film than a monster movie when it came out. The difference is that the human sections in that movie (and some of the better ones in recent years) are interesting and thematically connected and important. You could also argue that humans need to be there to some extent to establish the scale of these colossal beasts

In weaker/American Godzilla movies, the humans are just disaster movie protagonists. They serve no purpose for much of the time or are just meatheads.
    -Stephen McCranie

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    I don't mind humans in monster movies. Issue is there's almost always an issue with balance and the story, but like. Both Godzilla movies were *good* when it comes to that aspect.

GvK was certainly the weakest of the three in that aspect, but it also- for me- wasn't to the point where I didn't enjoy the movie overall.
    Sadly it was to me. I kept watching hoping it would get better, that I'd see something redeemable and enjoyable, but for me it just...never got better. The opposite really, the more I watched the more I didn't enjoy it and the more it was just a terrible watching experience overall. It's the only Godzilla movie (I've seen them all) that I've never enjoyed even a tiny bit. And it's the most successful worldwide, the same director is making the sequel with the same style and mindset as this film - so I'm out. I just can't sit there something like that again, when I said I didn't enjoy it and that it was actually painful to watch, I mean it.

Eh, I think the battle for dominance aspect makes sense for me. There were multiple times Godzilla could have taken Kong out, so it was never really that serious for big G, axe or not.

For me though, Shin Godzilla is my top, so everything else is kind of batting for (generally distant) second there.
    -Stephen McCranie

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    Eh, I think the battle for dominance aspect makes sense for me. There were multiple times Godzilla could have taken Kong out, so it was never really that serious for big G, axe or not.

For me though, Shin Godzilla is my top, so everything else is kind of batting for second there.
    My rankings from best to less best top 5 Godzilla films:
    1. Shin
    2. 2014
    3. 1954 Gojira
    4. Godzilla 2000 (kind of a guilty pleasure movie for me)
    5. Bit of a cheat, it's the Kiryu Mechagodzilla duology

Bonus #6 is vs Megalon.

There's been way sillier reasons for kaiju being drawn into conflict before.

Granted, I suppose it's the Hollywood veneer affecting the tone, somewhat, the scriptwriter doing what they can to explain things in more sophisticated, pseudoscientific lingo.

4. Godzilla 2000 (kind of a guilty pleasure movie for me)
    That was the first Godzilla movie Id ever seen so there was some lingering love for it from my childhood for a while.

When i went back and saw it like last year I realized I'd remembered only the good parts. Really boring film for me on the rewatch outside of combat unfortunately. Do still like the parts I liked back then though but all the rest of it...yikes
    -Stephen McCranie