Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Black Widow will be interesting to see how it does. Personally, I have some worries about Marvel ever making quite as much money as they did in this first iteration of the fully MCU cycle and I think the window for a Black Widow film was a while ago so I don't have... exceptional expectations for the film's performance, but I could very well be wrong.
    Adding to that, I also think it's a bit more difficult to gauge how the box office will be affected the pandemic and all the other stuff going on the world. So it's kinda difficult to predict what kind of box office Black Widow will garner.

Had it come out as planned I think that it would been pushed along nicely to 1 billion just the MCU-association, and Endgame-association, alone. But now that window has probably been missed.

Extraordinary Member

I recently saw the finale of Gotham, and I'm overall quite happy with it.

The show has always been rather weird but enjoyable so I am going to miss it.

But it went out with a good setup for the Batman mythos, though it's kinda odd since Jim, Harvey, Selina and the Joker all absolutely know that Batman is Bruce Wayne in this version, and they have such an early deep connection to him.

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    Oh, NO movie EVER makes a "profit". Hollywood just keeps losing money hand over fist but generously tries to give you guys quality entertainment on the way down. At least if you listen to Hollywood accountants.

I'm reasonably OK with the idea in general. As long as they make them a group of female Supermen, I'll be cool with the little concessions to Live Action.

The thing I don't like is their synopsis of the plot line. "In the updated version of the series, the titular superheroes are now disillusioned twentysomethings who resent having lost their childhood to crime fighting. Will they agree to reunite now that the world needs them more than ever?"

In the original show, outside of one really weird out of character moment to serve a plot that was never hinted at before or mentioned again, they always LOVED crime fighting and saving the city from monsters. (OK, sometimes Bubbles had issues with the violence part of it, but she was still cool with stopping crime in general) It was kind of refreshing that unlike Buffy, the X-Men, or a bunch of other TV show heroes they never whined about wanting to be "normal".

If they make the main point of the movie "Boy that childhood where we were living the dream, and got to do all the cool things we wanted, saved the day, and had amazing Superpowers was really BAD because we weren't NORMAL", I'm going to dislike it. It will be just another "everything cool in life happened by the time you were 6. Growing up sucks, getting old sucks, LIFE sucks and being an adult is dealing with it." kind of movie, and I don't need that cynicism. If that's a minor part in overall issues about the social rifts between the girls, that would be fine. They had those all the time in the cartoon.

Then Hollywood will think Women Superheroes can't draw!
    A better plot would be if the girls lost their powers as they grew up, for some reason. At twenty-something, they each think back to that earlier time and have different responses. Buttercup would look back on it fondly (or longingly), Bubbles wouldn't mind being normal, and Blossom would be somewhere in between, focused on her current life and goals as a young adult.

Then something happens that requires superheroes to save the day, and they are given the chance, the choice, of regaining their powers. They decide, we all do it or none of us do it, then they decide to become heroes once again.

As a fan of the original Powerpuff girls, that is how I would have envisioned a live-action movie set some two decades later.
    Last edited by Tami; 08-25-2020 at 07:56 AM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

By all means, I'm not telling people to just not watch it whatever the result of it.

I more object to Len saying "his childhood is ruined," about a film that hasn't even been completed when he could just... not watch it?
    Well, I didn't know it was a film, for one thing. That makes me feel much better because CW's record with turning superhero properties into long-running LA action series is...not good. Also, I say it because there is that part of me that is interested and wants it to be good, but the much more cynical side of me doubts that will be reality because of the studio's aforementioned record.
    Last edited by Len Ikari145; 08-25-2020 at 10:42 AM.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    Well, I didn't know it was a film, for one thing. That makes me feel much better because CW's record with turning superhero properties into long-running LA action series is...not good. Also, I say it because there is that part of me that is interested and wants it to be good, but the much more cynical side of me doubts that will be reality because of the studio's aforementioned record.
    It is a series, not a film

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    NIK LIED TO ME!! Just what I'd expect from a dirty pirate lord aligned with Eldritch Horrors!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Extraordinary Member

NIK LIED TO ME!! Just what I'd expect from a dirty pirate lord aligned with Eldritch Horrors!
    I think it's more that everybody's confused, possibly by different reports about the project.

...I wonder how they'll do the iconic PPG villains in live action.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    I think it's more that everybody's confused, possibly by different reports about the project.

Oh yeah, forgot about them.

...Nope, not interested. There is no way that any live-action adaptation can capture the brilliance of Mojo Jojo.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

By all means speculate on whether the series is going to be good or not. Given the track record of the CW I don't think it will be good. Almost all of their programming is garbage. Except Riverdale, which is perfect.

My objection was to your implication that the quality of the CW show in any way impacts your relationship to the original property or "ruins your childhood,"

It doesn't. At all. That kind of sentiment just irks me because it doesn't make any sense. If you like the OG show, go off and watch that and do not watch the CW adaptation. Your childhood cannot be ruined it already happened and, from what you say, it was pretty all right because you had Powerpuff Girls.

Like, critique **** but don't present it's existance as some kind of weird violation of your past. That is just asinine.

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post

While HIM or Fuzzy wouldn't be that hard, being a dude in red skin paint and a pink tutu and boa for the first and a dude in a mascot costume for the second, Mojo they will probably have to do more along the lines of the Z-version where physically speaking he's more of a dude with a chimp head than the original's chimp with an upright body posture.

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    Oh, ack I misread it. Yeah, that seems even less likely to be good in the long run, because Kryptonian powersets tend to be REALLY hard on a TV show's budget.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

By all means speculate on whether the series is going to be good or not. Given the track record of the CW I don't think it will be good. Almost all of their programming is garbage. Except Riverdale, which is perfect.

My objection was to your implication that the quality of the CW show in any way impacts your relationship to the original property or "ruins your childhood,"

It doesn't. At all. That kind of sentiment just irks me because it doesn't make any sense. If you like the OG show, go off and watch that and do not watch the CW adaptation. Your childhood cannot be ruined it already happened and, from what you say, it was pretty all right because you had Powerpuff Girls.

Like, critique **** but don't present it's existance as some kind of weird violation of your past. That is just asinine.
    I can see where Len is coming from. To be frank, trotting out new iterations of old IPs for the purpose of brand recognition is more often than not an attempt to corral a previously established audience, isn't it? Why else use a franchise name if not for the free buzz?

In the most cynical cases, the recognizable franchise is used as a springboard for writers who have a story they want to tell, but is by and large unrelated to what had been previously established and may as well have been something else entirely.

Yeah, it's different - maybe even 'challenging,' one supposes - but if it's not meant for the 'previous' audience, I question why Paul Marketing bothers getting the nostalgic audience's hopes up. Announcing a 'new iteration' in this manner is effectively giving an invitation for a return to form, but out of the gate marking it as 'that thing you like, but twisted' feels like prodding for outrage clicks for the Internet's 15 minutes of hate and contrarian hot takes.

Like, from the article posted earlier:

In the updated version of the series, the titular superheroes are now disillusioned twentysomethings who resent having lost their childhood to crime fighting. Will they agree to reunite now that the world needs them more than ever?
    I remember when this was the basis for a cheap joke a few years ago:

Being cynical that they're naked cash grabs doesn't seem too asinine to me, really. People get attached and form associations to these things. Regardless, this remake will succeed or flop on its own merits, I suppose.

Like you said, don't like it? Nobody forces you to watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    I can see where Len is coming from. To be frank, trotting out new iterations of old IPs for the purpose of brand recognition is more often than not an attempt to corral a previously established audience, isn't it? Why else use a franchise name if not for the free buzz?

In the most cynical cases, the recognizable franchise is used as a springboard for writers who have a story they want to tell, but is by and large unrelated to what had been previously established and may as well have been something else entirely.

Yeah, it's different - maybe even 'challenging,' one supposes - but if it's not meant for the 'previous' audience, I question why Paul Marketing bothers getting the nostalgic audience's hopes up. Announcing a 'new iteration' in this manner is effectively giving an invitation for a return to form, but out of the gate marking it as 'that thing you like, but twisted' feels like prodding for outrage clicks for the Internet's 15 minutes of hate and contrarian hot takes.

Like, from the article posted earlier:

I remember when this was the basis for a cheap joke a few years ago:

Being cynical that they're naked cash grabs doesn't seem too asinine to me, really. People get attached and form associations to these things. Regardless, this remake will succeed or flop on its own merits, I suppose.

Like you said, don't like it? Nobody forces you to watch it.
    You also seem to have misunderstood my point.

Again, I am emphatically not criticising Len for not liking the concept or expecting it to be bad. It sounds hackneyed and is done by a studio with a terrible track record and further sounds like it misses the point of the franchise and the transition from animation to live action is never easy at the best of times. Sounds like bad news all round.

I've said as much in this thread, others have said the same. I don't disagree with any of it.

My point, which I'll say for the third time, is that I dislike Len's assertion that this bad adaptation impacts his relationship to the original show and "ruins his childhood". It should not matter what shitty adaptations happen outside of the original property. The show you like is the show you like, it still exists and is right there for you to enjoy any time you like. The memories you have of enjoying that show are not going to change remotely because of some CW show.

Did the Last Airbender film make me like Avatar any less? Did the Constantine film change my relationship to the comics? Did like... all of Marvel movies being kind of shitty and boring make me hate the comics? No. None of them changed my relationship to the source material because they are entirely separate things and this show shouldn't change Len's relationship to OG PPG.

I don't understand why people finding this hard to grasp. Hate the new version, **** on it all you want, I am not fussed one way or the other but please don't pretend like this actually matters in relation to the original show or, more importantly, your childhood.

The "ruined my childhood" claim is a dumb sentiment that implies your relationship to a show is so exceptionally fragile that a bad adaptation, that is an entirely different medium, done by a completely unrelated studio with an entirely different focus and thematic point than the original, is somehow remotely meaningful to your enjoyment of a show you enjoyed as a child.

It's also often the preserve of people who want things to not change for the better because of their bloody nostalgia. I'm not saying that Len is doing this but I want to highlight what a bad point I think it is.

I do hope this is clear now.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 08-25-2020 at 01:13 PM.

You also seem to have misunderstood my point.

Again, I am emphatically not criticising Len for not liking the concept or expecting it to be bad. It sounds hackneyed and is done by a studio with a terrible track record and further sounds like it misses the point of the franchise and the transition from animation to live action is never easy at the best of times. Sounds like bad news all round.

I've said as much in this thread, others have said the same. I don't disagree with any of it.

My point, which I'll say for the third time, is that I dislike Len's assertion that this bad adaptation impacts his relationship to the original show and "ruins his childhood". It should not matter what shitty adaptations happen outside of the original property. The show you like is the show you like, it still exists and is right there for you to enjoy any time you like. The memories you have of enjoying that show are not going to change remotely because of some CW show.

Did the Last Airbender film make me like Avatar any less? Did the Constantine film change my relationship to the comics? Did like... all of Marvel movies being kind of shitty and boring make me hate the comics? No. None of them changed my relationship to the source material because they are entirely separate things and this show shouldn't change Len's relationship to OG PPG.

I don't understand why people finding this hard to grasp. Hate the new version, **** on it all you want, I am not fussed one way or the other but please don't pretend like this actually matters in relation to the original show or, more importantly, your childhood.

The "ruined my childhood" claim is a dumb sentiment that implies your relationship to a show is so exceptionally fragile that a bad adaptation, that is an entirely different medium, done by a completely unrelated studio with an entirely different focus and thematic point than the original, is somehow remotely meaningful to your enjoyment of a show you enjoyed as a child.

It's also often the preserve of people who want things to not change for the better because of their bloody nostalgia. I'm not saying that Len is doing this but I want to highlight what a bad point I think it is.

I do hope this is clear now.
    To put my hat back in the ring of this discussion here, just to clarify, I was just saying that to be melodramatic - nothing more, nothing less. I think you know me well enough to know when I say **** just to be facetious and silly. If I honestly did feel like someone's loose interpretation of the original source material did impact my like of it, I probably wouldn't have much to discuss on this forum(or any media platform regarding fiction for that matter, especially in the realm of comics). As you pointed out, Avatar's shitty movie adaptation(or its potentially abysmal TV series) doesn't change my love for the actual Avatar, Teen Titans Go! doesn't affect my continued enjoyment of the original animated series, etc.

To put my hat back in the ring of this discussion here, just to clarify, I was just saying that to be melodramatic - nothing more, nothing less. I think you know me well enough to know when I say **** just to be facetious and silly. If I honestly did feel like someone's loose interpretation of the original source material did impact my like of it, I probably wouldn't have much to discuss on this forum(or any media platform regarding fiction for that matter, especially in the realm of comics). As you pointed out, Avatar's shitty movie adaptation(or its potentially abysmal TV series) doesn't change my love for the actual Avatar, Teen Titans Go! doesn't affect my continued enjoyment of the original animated series, etc.
    That's fair, I see that kind of argument used entirely seriously a lot and it's very frustrating so I'm keen to push back on it when it's in my online backyard as it were.

I'm glad you're not fragile in this regard ^_^

That's fair, I see that kind of argument used entirely seriously a lot and it's very frustrating so I'm keen to push back on it when it's in my online backyard as it were.

I'm glad you're not fragile in this regard ^_^
    You have to be rather mentally strong to wrestle cosmic squids for a living after all!
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.