The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Also, as an aside I see that Kengan might be going the way of Baki - 'technique is impotent against power' kind of thing.

I hope not.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Also, as an aside I see that Kengan might be going the way of Baki - 'technique is impotent against power' kind of thing.

I hope not.
    It's Julius. Its pretty much his whole thing.

I should probably check it out.

Tell you what, here's a trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    It's Julius. Its pretty much his whole thing.
    I'm just hoping this doesn't become a thing.

My issue with it here is that Julius is getting his rear handed to him by someone who is at least in his range of physicality...and has far better technique. In fact, the specific aim of the other guy's system is a great counter to Julius.

So that's....

1. Dude is at least on a similar level to Julius wrt to physicality;
    2. Dude's special martial art is a solid counter to 'I just have power', and the guy is good enough at it that he impresses Ohma.

And suddenly Julius makes a comeback 'because power'. Ugh.

Now I suppose we could learn in the next chapter that Julius is actually far, far beyond this guy, physically (which hasn't really been borne up until now, but *shrugs*).
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Tell you what, here's a trailer.
    Liking the style of that. ^_^
    Why are we here?

I'm just hoping this doesn't become a thing.

My issue with it here is that Julius is getting his rear handed to him by someone who is at least in his range of physicality...and has far better technique. In fact, the specific aim of the other guy's system is a great counter to Julius.

So that's....

1. Dude is at least on a similar level to Julius wrt to physicality;
    2. Dude's special martial art is a solid counter to 'I just have power', and the guy is good enough at it that he impresses Ohma.

And suddenly Julius makes a comeback 'because power'. Ugh.

Now I suppose we could learn in the next chapter that Julius is actually far, far beyond this guy, physically (which hasn't really been borne up until now, but *shrugs*).
    I don't disagree with any of that. I feel like it's going to kind of be a thing with Julius specifically because his whole deal is the "the peak of man-made strength, etc." and this is the kind of thing his character is pretty much built around.

Based on the art around his hands, my theory is that Julius has managed to replicate some kind of micro-version of the Blast Core. Like... hyper activating his muscles to take himself even further beyond his normal ridiculous strength. This is... eh... not the dumbest thing ever. I would like it if he actually learned from losing to Wakatsuki as a progression thing and it remains true to his "pure strength," ethos thing without being without precedent.

But yeah, I think Julius is going to win and it's gonna be a big power thing.

But who knows, Kengan as a series has surprised us by inverting shonen tropes before so it's possible.

Also, bring back Saw Paing. I miss my loud boy with unbreakable bones.

I don't disagree with any of that. I feel like it's going to kind of be a thing with Julius specifically because his whole deal is the "the peak of man-made strength, etc." and this is the kind of thing his character is pretty much built around.

Based on the art around his hands, my theory is that Julius has managed to replicate some kind of micro-version of the Blast Core. Like... hyper activating his muscles to take himself even further beyond his normal ridiculous strength. This is... eh... not the dumbest thing ever. I would like it if he actually learned from losing to Wakatsuki as a progression thing and it remains true to his "pure strength," ethos thing without being without precedent.
    Would make sense, though...that's kind of a technique as well.

But yeah, I think Julius is going to win and it's gonna be a big power thing.
    Probably.

OR the other guy will do some kind of sneaky exploit and *surprise win* due to that. Seen a few of those already.

Maaaan...bring back the Kengan Ashura fights. I'm reading that again - just jumping through it - and enjoying it more.

But who knows, Kengan as a series has surprised us by inverting shonen tropes before so it's possible.

Also, bring back Saw Paing. I miss my loud boy with unbreakable bones.
    Just read the fight he lost in Kengan, ironically. Good read. ^_^
    Why are we here?

Going to see The New Mutants today, can't wait. I haven't gone to the theater since 2016, but it's worth it for a movie I've been waiting on for years and had given up on it coming out.

It somewhat has in previous chapters. Julius completely halted a stomp from Toa while having his back turned with one arm, then when he was on the offensive Toa had to repeatedly back away. The only strikes Toa landed that had any real effect were counters using Julius' own strength and momentum against him.

So if nothing else the fight has set up that Julius is above him physically.
    Last edited by Siriel; 08-27-2020 at 08:51 AM.

Flicking back through the recent chapters, I was amused by Wakatsuki yelling at Julius from the stands "Julius! Guard! You don't /have/ to block with your face, try actually defending yourself,"

Champion fighter Julius Reinhold everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    Going to see The New Mutants today, can't wait. I haven't gone to the theater since 2016, but it's worth it for a movie I've been waiting on for years and had given up on it coming out.
    I'm somewhat hopeful about this movie. Though upset about Sunspot.

It somewhat has in previous chapters. Julius completely halted a stomp from Toa while having his back turned with one arm, then when he was on the offensive Toa had to repeatedly back away. The only strikes Toa landed that had any real effect were counters using Julius' own strength and momentum against him.

So if nothing else the fight has set up that Julius is above him physically.
    Point. We'll see how it goes, I guess.
    Why are we here?

...also, please let us know how the movie goes.
    Why are we here?

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

I'm somewhat hopeful about this movie. Though upset about Sunspot.

Point. We'll see how it goes, I guess.
    What’s with Sunspot?
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    What’s with Sunspot?
    So, Roberto - originally - was quite dark-skinned. The actor chosen, while Brazillian, is...not.

Now, I've seen some people argue that there are depictions of Roberto in Marvel that are also quite pale. This is basically using Marvel's white-washing of Roberto to justify the movie, which doesn't help at all.
    Why are we here?

Last movie I saw: Invisible Msn remake before Covid. It was pretty good.

Now: Studying as class starts the 4th of September ( its all online) and aside that making my final game. Worked on it for two days and it’s 60 percent done ( I have those random brain surge moments.:

Incidentally, some of the other actors have been noted as being of the correct ethnic background for a character, but the actor chosen being what's known as 'whitepassing' (which was a new expression for me, but I get it now).

Here.
    Why are we here?