My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    Part 2;

Danielle: The main character of the movie, she's an alright protagonist. spoilers:
    Her powers are souped up from the comics; rather than illusions she actively brings people's worst fears into reality (temporarily, but they can deal real damage). This was presumably because they didn't want the Demon Bear to be an actually supernatural entity; instead it's just a manifestation of her own fears. She came to the facility after the reservation she lived in was wiped out, but it's ambiguous if it was destroyed by a natural disaster or the bear; she hears growls, but that could just be her being afraid. I think they kinda flubbed the ending of her character arc because while having her realize the bear is her own fears and resolving to confront them is good, ultimately Rahne fails to be the one to bring her out of her terror. Instead it's a random vision of her father - the worst actor in the movie, who only showed up for two minutes at the start. Come on, why not have it be the romantic interest that we've seen her hang out with all movie?
    end of spoilers

Illyana: Is a jerk, to an hilarious extent. Not even evil like in the comics, she's just kind of really mean to Dani. spoilers:
    And also take shots at her for being Indian? Which is just really weird because as far as I can tell Illyana is still from Russia; why does she give a damn about that? I guess it could just be that she was looking for anything to snipe the new person with and that was one of the two things she knew about Dani, which the movie kinda hints at when Danielle points out that Illyana's insults are really shallow and amount to comparing her with pop culture.
    end of spoilers
    They really want you to know she's badass, but I think they went a bit too far on her aggression.
    spoilers:
    She flat-out tries to cut Dani in half for making her angry early in the movie, and while Reyes stops her there's no hint that she would have stopped herself otherwise. It makes it kind of awkward to remember this when she sort of bonds with Dani as the movie nears its end.
    On the other hand the movie makes a pretty good job of showing that her aggression is her way of coping with her trauma, and she does decide to take on the Demon Bear alone by the end to let the others escape so it's not all she's portrayed as purely bad. They probably didn't think the scene I mention above through.
    Also despite being generally unstable she's the smartest person in the movie, realizing what kind of person Reyes is before the movie even starts and figuring out that all the weird stuff happening is caused by Danielle's powers before anyone else.

Also I never knew i needed to see her running after a house-sized bear while shouting "COME BACK YOU COWARD!" until it happened.
    end of spoilers
    Her powers are handled kind of weirdly, but I like it. I really get the feeling they wanted to make another movie for her later.
    spoilers:
    Lockheed is a hand-puppet she uses to talk to herself with, and Limbo is a metaphor for a 'safe place' that she imagined when she was held by the people who're represented by the Smiling Men in Danielle's illusions, who she apparently killed as part of her escape. According to her she spent so much time in Limbo that it became real, and it's left unclear throughout the entire movie whether Lockheed can actually turn into a dragon from her powers or is just a puppet and she's imagining it. He only talks to her, only becomes real when she's alone or during her fight with the Demon Bear, and they get taken out by the same attack in that fight at which point he immediately reverts to a puppet and no one questions it.
    In proud (bad) New Mutants tradition, Illyana also creates a giant plothole in the movie because she can still teleport through Limbo and nothing is ever established to be stopping her from just teleporting away from the facility. Also unlike the others she's willing to kill and knows Reyes is evil, so you'd think she would have just killed her at some point to bring the forcefield down. I guess it could be reasoned that she has nowhere to go anyway.
    Overall it's left very ambiguous if she can do actual magic or she just has more than one mutant ability. Since the movie doesn't explain what kind of organization the Smiling Men belonged to or what it is that she's always drawing and writing everywhere, I imagine that was sequel materials. I don't mind though, ambiguity is better than overloading the movie with irrelevant stuff.
    end of spoilers
    Maybe surprisingly I don't love her fear arc.
    spoilers:
    She's afraid of the Smiling Men (fair) and freaks out, teleporting to Limbo when they try to attack her. Then after a few minutes she... comes back and slaughters them all, having apparently worked the fear out of her system offscreen? Boo.
    end of spoilers

As a team:
    I think the characters actually have a pretty good synergy together. They get along sometimes, don't in others, and honestly it feels pretty realistic. spoilers:
    Though it feels really empty when Danielle says at the end that they worked together to break out of their cages, because most of their character development didn't really involve the others. Hell, Illyana's involved no one.
    end of spoilers

Reyes: Sorry if you're a fan of hers in the comics. spoilers:
    She's a straight up bad-guy working for Essex Corps, which explains why she's such a terrible psychiatrist throughout the movie. She ends up dying and isn't missed. I honestly don't remember much of comics Reyes but I think that's her powerset and then a completely different character?
    end of spoilers

Conclusion: Honestly, it's better than it had any rights to be given its history. Not as good as I might have hoped, but then that's a high standard. I'll rewatch it with subtitles when I can to see what i missed, which is more than I can say of pretty much every other Marvel movie. Shame that it's almost guaranteed to not get any sequels because I really like the cast.

Relevance to Rumbles: Pretty much non-existent. There isn't much for quantifiable feats.
    Sounds largely unchanged from the preview screening I saw.

Based on this review, I'm not all that interested in seeing this version of the New Mutants.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Fantastic Member

Eldena looks at Voltron shipping:

MHA: spoilers:
    The good news is that Torino might actually be alive and Eraser Head just barely avoided disintegration thanks to Deku. The bad news is that Eraser took his eyes off of Shigaraki and he's back at full power. Even worse news: Gigantomachia is already in the city and Ochako and co. are directly in his war path. IOWs, shit's fucked.
    end of spoilers

Black Clover: spoilers:
    So, Nacht apparently hates Yami's guts and seems to have a cordial relationship with his Devil, Guimero. I'm curious to find out how and why he became devil possessed or how Yami convinced him to join the Black Bulls. Meanwhile, the Captains and Vice Captains are gathered and are trying to form a plan of action regarding Yami and William's capture and the Tree of Qliphoth, but surprisingly, without Yami as a mediator, the meeting becomes chaotic. One thing they seem to agree on is that they all want to save Yami, which is actually touching. Nacht shows up with Asta in tow, and tells the Captains to shut the fuck up, grow up, and start acting like Knights. Gotta say that I like Nacht so far and it's easy to see why he's the Vice-Captain.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Len Ikari145; 08-28-2020 at 08:42 PM.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

Goddamn it, Chadwick Boseman died from cancer ;_;
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

RIP Chadwick Boseman [Link]

EDIT: Ninja'd...but I never freeze ;_;
    Last edited by grampagen; 08-28-2020 at 07:21 PM.

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

RIP Chadwick. You’ll be missed.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Joe Ruby (aka creator of Scooby Doo) also died today.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Zero MKA View Post
    Goddamn it, Chadwick Boseman died from cancer ;_;
    That explains those pictures a few months back. I was hoping that his appearance was for a role but sadly I was wrong.

Damnit! He was a really cool dude too.

cancer's the worst in any year

"Stegosaurus!" OrangeRangerPete's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    RIP Chadwick. You’ll be missed.
    Isn't it just awful?

He was diagnosed in 2016, I mean, he was fighting colon cancer almost the entire time he was Black Panther, but he kept it quiet.

Just a horrible, horrible thing. F*ck cancer.
    Australian adventurer, and Orange Ranger.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

That sucks. Cancer is a bastard. Only 43, that's no age to die.

Rest easy, King.

Wakanda Forever.

I can’t describe how important you’ve been in this world.