Page 11 of 2439 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521611115111011 ... LastLast
    Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    If you're talking RULES, I'd have a look. Be warned, though; I'm awfully critical.
    What do you think of those newfangled One-Page RPGs like Lasers & Feelings?

Extraordinary Member

If you're talking RULES, I'd have a look. Be warned, though; I'm awfully critical.

Okay, so here's my basic idea

Each stat is given a number between 1 and 5. A 1 means that stat is rolled with a D6. 2 is a D8, 3 is a D10, 4 is a D12, and 5 is a D20.

Characters have basic attacks, which are just a plain role, and Special attacks, which is a Dice roll plus a modifier. The modifier is the same number as the stat. So if your strength is a five, then a special attack with a Strength Roll would come out to 1D20+5.

These are the Stats.

Strength:
    Speed:
    Durability:
    Soak:
    Biggatons:
    Charisma:
    Will:
    Hax:
    Magic Resistance:
    Knowledge:
    Perception:
    Stealth:

Strength, Speed, and Durability are self explanatory.

Soak refers to how injured they can get before being in incapacitated.

Biggatons refers to raw destructive force from range.

Charisma covers things like Diplomacy, Bluffs, Tricks, Intimidation, things of that nature

Will refers to the strength of one's willpower, but also dictates how strong Psychic powers are (If the character has them)

Hax refers to esoteric abilities that aren't psychic in nature. At low levels, this would be stuff like Acid, Heat, electrocution, etc. Higher levels are where
    Magic and Reality warping come into play.

Magic Resistance is the ability to resist esoteric effects

Knowledge refers to the breadth of knowledge that you posess. It could mean scientific knowledge, or it could also refer to martial skill.

Perception is used for perceiving things, be that through finding hidden people, or for reading emotions

Stealth is the opposite, and measures things like staying hidden, or hiding ones emotions.

Characters also have health, Stamina, and Sanity stats Which I have determined via adding all the other stats together.

--------

In addition to the stats, characters can also have Abilities and Skills.

Abilities are things that characters have naturally. Superman's powers would be an example of that

Skills are things that characters learn. Goku's Kaioken is an example of that.

Abilities and Skills can give characters certain advantages. For example, The Flash would have the ability Speed Force, which lets him add his Hax Modifier to his Speed Checks.

-----

The Stats are roughly tiered. A Strength of one means you've got the strength of a normal human. Two lines up with a Comic Book Peak Human. Three lines up with a character who is explicitly superhuman to a level beyond CBPHs. Spider-man would have a three. Four means you've got enough power to smash mountains with a Punch. 5 Means could could probably smash a planet with a punch

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    wat

I need to look this up. But I'm probably not going to like them; I prefer a little crunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post

Each stat is given a number between 1 and 5. A 1 means that stat is rolled with a D6. 2 is a D8, 3 is a D10, 4 is a D12, and 5 is a D20.

Characters have basic attacks, which are just a plain role, and Special attacks, which is a Dice roll plus a modifier. The modifier is the same number as the stat. So if your strength is a five, then a special attack with a Strength Roll would come out to 1D20+5.

These are the Stats.

Strength:
    Speed:
    Durability:
    Soak:
    Biggatons:
    Charisma:
    Will:
    Hax:
    Magic Resistance:
    Knowledge:
    Perception:
    Stealth:

Charisma covers things like Diplomacy, Bluffs, Tricks, Intimidation, things of that nature

Will refers to the strength of one's willpower, but also dictates how strong Psychic powers are (If the character has them)

Hax refers to esoteric abilities that aren't psychic in nature. At low levels, this would be stuff like Acid, Heat, electrocution, etc. Higher levels are where

Knowledge refers to the breadth of knowledge that you posess. It could mean scientific knowledge, or it could also refer to martial skill.

Perception is used for perceiving things, be that through finding hidden people, or for reading emotions

Stealth is the opposite, and measures things like staying hidden, or hiding ones emotions.

Characters also have health, Stamina, and Sanity stats Which I have determined via adding all the other stats together.

--------

Abilities are things that characters have naturally. Superman's powers would be an example of that

Abilities and Skills can give characters certain advantages. For example, The Flash would have the ability Speed Force, which lets him add his Hax Modifier to his Speed Checks.

-----

The Stats are roughly tiered. A Strength of one means you've got the strength of a normal human. Two lines up with a Comic Book Peak Human. Three lines up with a character who is explicitly superhuman to a level beyond CBPHs. Spider-man would have a three. Four means you've got enough power to smash mountains with a Punch. 5 Means could could probably smash a planet with a punch
    Since you are using dice, here, and there's not a huge difference between the dice but a LAAAARGE difference between the meaning, you have a situation where a normal human could out-strength-roll Thanos. And, given the fact that the difference between their two dice are d6 and d20, it's not like it's a one in a million chance.

More later - need to leave work, now.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

wat

I need to look this up. But I'm probably not going to like them; I prefer a little crunch.

These are the Stats.

Strength:
    Speed:
    Durability:
    Soak:
    Biggatons:
    Charisma:
    Will:
    Hax:
    Magic Resistance:
    Knowledge:
    Perception:
    Stealth:

--------

-----

Since you are using dice, here, and there's not a huge difference between the dice but a LAAAARGE difference between the meaning, you have a situation where a normal human could out-strength-roll Thanos. And, given the fact that the difference between their two dice are d6 and d20, it's not like it's a one in a million chance.

Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Extraordinary Member

wat

In the actual game that I'm planning to use this for, there's a level of passive reality warping Going on within the setting, which gives people the chance to harm characters that would normally be way beyond their pay grade.

So basically: It's not a bug, it's a feature.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

i like jinou

here we have Simon and Richter Belmont appearing in Smash with their original looks.
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

wat
    Haha. This appears to be a fairly new thing, or maybe people have always done them, but only now is it catching on. These appear to be mainly for one-shot campaigns or such. Sometimes, the actual document is more than one page, but it's all an emphasis on a very streamlined approach.

Never played any, of course, so I can't say how effective they are, but some of them are kind of neat/amusing in concept.

Some examples of the, let's say, "Simplified RPG":

Lasers & Feelings - The ur example of a one-pager, he's also designed several other games that are longer, but still under 10 - 20 pages.

Dead Simple Fantasy - This guy has expanded on it since, but this is the basic build, I think.

Golden Sea - This one guy has done a bunch of these, here's a random example.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

diving into the whole grand finals of the smash 4 mess, my thoughts on it are thus:

everyone one is to blame in this situation. captain zack and lima acted childishly and unprofessionally in that match and it has left a stain on not only the smash community but EVO as a whole. in this era, where the FGC is trying to get into the main stream as a Esport, this was not needed.

but on the flip, i can understand why they did it. the smash 4 community showed a level of hatred and toxicity that no one, let along two youngsters, could handle. at least not for long. they were being petty and childish all because a character that the community hated made it to the grandfinals of EVO.

the whole situation was a terrible reflection on the smash community while will continues to widen the already further divide between them and the FGC as a whole. (hence why a lot of people, both in and out of the smash community, speak of them and the FGC as seperate communities.)

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    Eh, I prefer them as disembodied voices.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

In the actual game that I'm planning to use this for, there's a level of passive reality warping Going on within the setting, which gives people the chance to harm characters that would normally be way beyond their pay grade.

So basically: It's not a bug, it's a feature.
    Okay, then.

Setting personal opinions aside. How does the system work? High roll wins, so if matching Skill versus Skill, someone rolls a d20, the other person rolls a d12, winner take that contest? With modifiers, etc?

How does 'Soak' work, when you have 'Durability'? You have Durability, Soak, and Damage, how do all three work together?

Magic Resistance works against Hax? So simply having high magic resistance allows across-board ability to resist everything (ie, it's all the same)?
    Why are we here?

Lasers & Feelings - The ur example of a one-pager, he's also designed several other games that are longer, but still under 10 - 20 pages.
    This is amusing, and I like that it avoids the current trend of metagaming.

Dead Simple Fantasy - This guy has expanded on it since, but this is the basic build, I think.
    Amusing, and again avoids metagaming. This one is another good one. Big flaw: single-skill, not-resisted social system with absolute success. I would prefer either something highly complex (worst case) or something very simple with no absolute success (the better way). But then, this is more of a hack-and-slash, very D&Desque rule-set (it even has specific races corresponding to basic D&D ones). Probably a good system for an afternoon of cutting and chopping.

Golden Sea - This one guy has done a bunch of these, here's a random example.
    A little more depth here, in a different way. Nice.

I mean, these are nice. All three of them. They illustrate, though, why I prefer crunch; the rules don't cover anything in detail, really (especially beyond combat in the second one), and as such everyone is at the mercy of the GM's opinion. Which, really, everyone is ANYWAY in games, but the less of that the better.

Ironically, I find the more crunch (good crunch, not useless crunch) there is, the more player freedom there is (assuming one has a good GM, not someone who slams everyone on the rails, rules and dice be damned).

Also, as I like long-term games (by long-term, I mean games that go for years), these rules just don't have enough to them.

Still, some interesting stuff, here. Setting my personal preference aside, I can see why people might like these three sets. ^_^
    Why are we here?

Extraordinary Member

I love You Say Run/Jet Set Run videos.

This is amusing, and I like that it avoids the current trend of metagaming.
    What do you mean by metagaming?

I mean, these are nice. All three of them. They illustrate, though, why I prefer crunch; the rules don't cover anything in detail, really (especially beyond combat in the second one), and as such everyone is at the mercy of the GM's opinion. Which, really, everyone is ANYWAY in games, but the less of that the better.
    They're neat little projects, but yeah, I don't know how well they hold up in play.

Ironically, I find the more crunch (good crunch, not useless crunch) there is, the more player freedom there is (assuming one has a good GM, not someone who slams everyone on the rails, rules and dice be damned).

Also, as I like long-term games (by long-term, I mean games that go for years), these rules just don't have enough to them.
    Definitely made for short-term stuff.

I made and self-published an RPG myself (as an ebook), recently, but it was mostly as a lark, I don't expect it to ever be played. Used a fairly simple dice-pool mechanic.
    Last edited by Sharkerbob; 08-09-2018 at 12:55 PM.