Extraordinary Member

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

So, there's a lot of fuss these days over Cyberpunk 2077, both good and bad. I likely won't be touching the video game, but it's solidly based on an old Tabletop RPG I used to play called (ironically, given the date) Cyberpunk 2020. The makers of CP2020 came out with an updated rule system - Cyberpunk RED - to match the release of the video game (apparently they worked closely with the video game company). On a nostalgic whim, I purchased the PDF of the RED rules.

Ugh.

Not saying that CP2020 was The Perfect Game™ - my old group played it for more than seven years, off and on, and it had its gaping flaws - but CPRED is...a huge disappointment. For what was supposed to be 'updated and improved', it's basically a test case for mediocrity and blandness.

I do not advise its purchase.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 12-17-2020 at 12:52 PM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    So, there's a lot of fuss these days over Cyberpunk 2077, both good and bad. I likely won't be touching the video game, but it's solidly based on an old Tabletop RPG I used to play called (ironically, given the date) Cyberpunk 2020. The makers of CP2020 came out with an updated rule system - Cyberpunk RED - to match the release of the video game (apparently they worked closely with the video game company). On a nostalgic whim, I purchased the PDF of the RED rules.

Ugh.

Not saying that CP2020 was The Perfect Game™ - my old group played it for more than seven years, off and on, and it had its gaping flaws - but CPRED is...a huge disappointment. For what was supposed to be 'updated and improved', it's basically a test case for mediocrity and blandness.

Mirrors the game, honestly.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post

Ugh.

Given how CDPR have amazingly screwed up their release of the video game, it's a real shame that this failure has damaged the TTRPG.

As an aside, speaking as someone who never had any interest in buying the game, I will say that the last week has been incredibly entertaining. I feel bad for everyone who pre-ordered, especially on PS4 or Xbox 1 and hope you find some satisfaction in it but... woof... jesus.

Yeah, real bad launch guys.

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post

Meh, they'll be fine.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    Meh, they'll be fine.
    Probably not actually.

That's Atlas, as in the city that Ironwood prioritized in desperation. Odds are that it's going to be stomped to the ground just for shits and giggles for Salem.

In terms of Cyberpunk a surprising amount of my enthusiasm waned when I learned

Minor Plot Framing Spoilers although not really plot details

spoilers:
    A lot of the game involves you working with cops on stuff
    end of spoilers
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

looks like a lot of people will be playing smash tonight.

sephiroth..............WE COMING FOR YOU!

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Probably not actually.

That's Atlas, as in the city that Ironwood prioritized in desperation. Odds are that it's going to be stomped to the ground just for shits and giggles for Salem.
    Dude, you worry too much. Ironwood is clearly on top of things and Penny will recover and single-handedly repel the invasion force.^_^

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    Dude, you worry too much. Ironwood is clearly on top of things and Penny will recover and single-handedly repel the invasion force.^_^
    Worried. Why would I be...?

Oh, I see. There's been a misunderstanding.

*puts on his Team Salem cap*

I'm not rooting for Atlas.

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

Never thought I'd see the day I'm crying inside trapped in holiday retail hell this year.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Twister View Post
    Never thought I'd see the day I'm crying inside trapped in holiday retail hell this year.
    damn son. i'm sorry for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Worried. Why would I be...?

Oh, I see. There's been a misunderstanding.

*puts on his Team Salem cap*

I'm not rooting for Atlas.
    I'm mostly Team Salem on this as well, but I do want Winter and Willow to get out of this alive. The rest can get eaten for all I care, especially Ironwood and Watts *shakes fist in rage over Penny*.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Twister View Post
    I know someone else who would commiserate with you on that. Probably a lot of people, but hang in there. The holiday season will be over soon enough.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.