The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Might even take a cue from Gen and do some free request drawings if I feel so inclined so... I guess mentally brush up your OCs over this month.
    I might also take you up on that. ^_^
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Well, we shall see how the month goes. ^_^

Archmanifestation of YOLO Noldere's Avatar

Not even New Years day off? That's rough buddy.
    It's not the worst (that was having to do a solo at a side warehouse for the entire Christmas/ New Years break a few years back), but aging hands plus inadequate work-friendly protection from the cold made for a sad lad near midnight last night,

Which reminds me...'

Does anyone have any recommendations for cold weather gloves that are dextrous enough to write with?
    This signature intentionally left blank.

GMs have a tough job, I hope you're able to defuse the situation and get everything on track Kahn.

On a more positive note, due to the pandemic driving my drinking up a bit, I am doing dry January this year to reset myself somewhat. I hope to use my more sober time to do more art.

I mean, I drew drunk on occasion as well and it was a fun time, but y'know more quality work.

Might even take a cue from Gen and do some free request drawings if I feel so inclined so... I guess mentally brush up your OCs over this month.
    I too might take you up on that. I have a lot of OCs with Varity. Like a family of OCs were most of the family members are super buff.
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Quote Originally Posted by Noldere View Post
    It's not the worst (that was having to do a solo at a side warehouse for the entire Christmas/ New Years break a few years back), but aging hands plus inadequate work-friendly protection from the cold made for a sad lad near midnight last night,

Which reminds me...'

Does anyone have any recommendations for cold weather gloves that are dextrous enough to write with?
    Well, it depends on what ‘cold weather’ is for you.

As a Brit, our weather is never going to get to what might be considered ‘cold’ for someone like Siriel or Cthulhu, or even Dark Soul # 7 or Fervidor.

Likewise, I’m pretty sure we’ve got Floridians in the forum, and ‘cold’ weather for them is utterly laughable.

So where are you geographically, and how often can you re-warm your hands?

Here I’d say we could probably get away with some decent running gloves, as they tend to be insulated but not too bulky. But if I were in Anchorage or Svalbard I’d probably just say “F**k this. I’m not writing outside. I’m not even BEING outside for more than 5 minutes at a time.”

Beadle makes a good point. Temperature and whether it's a dry or damp cold, please.

...Ottawa winters suck because they somehow manage to be -30C or worse, AND damp. I've had Albertans (down to -50C in the winter at times, but dry) complain when they visit here.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Amazing Member

As someone in the southern US all this talk of "cold" makes me really uncomfortable. Sharp, your idea of cold sounds like a frozen hellscape to what we get. However I suppose that's sort of like comparing the humid heat of North Carolina where I live to the dry heat of Arizona. Temperature isn't the only important factor by a large margin. Humidity can make things miserable very quickly

Quote Originally Posted by kahnno6 View Post
    As someone in the southern US all this talk of "cold" makes me really uncomfortable. Sharp, your idea of cold sounds like a frozen hellscape to what we get. However I suppose that's sort of like comparing the humid heat of North Carolina where I live to the dry heat of Arizona. Temperature isn't the only important factor by a large margin. Humidity can make things miserable very quickly
    Humidity is brutal; like our winters, Ottawa summers have that in spades.

So, amusingly (actually not), I think Ottawa has one of the most crazy temperature differences for a capital city in the world. We go from anywhere down to -32C for the worst days (nearly always with added windchill), with windchill on really bad days of -45C (that's -26F and -49F, respectively), and shoot to up to +30-35C in the summer with Humidex getting as high as +43C (86F-95F, up to 110F with Humidex).

Without considering Humidex and Windchill (which make a HUGE difference), that's a difference of 77C (or 131F degrees difference between the highs and lows for the year). Note: those aren't record highs and lows, those are the highs and lows it may reach in any given year. Absolute records are something like -38C (without wind) and +38C (without humidex).

This does mean we never really fully acclimatize, though I will say that in springtime when it creeps above freezing you'll see people walking around in shirts or even short sleeves in the sunlight. Conversely, in the autumn, the same temperatures will cause people to bundle up and bitterly complain.

Toronto is much better due to the lake effect, but it's Toronto, so I don't live there. ^_^ <- Canada In-Joke.

Granted, when I visited Tokyo in September it was still like walking into a blast furnace. +30-35C EVERY DAY, with Humidity ranging between 85% and 95%. Crazy.
    Why are we here?

Extraordinary Member

One Piece: As far as celebratory chapters go, this one was pretty freaking great.

spoilers:
    And while Luffy smacking down Kaido and making him bleed is certainly awesome, my favourite part was that Luffy just walked past two Yonko to comfort his friend.

Did not expect this to start out as a 2v5 fight. That'll be interesting.
    end of spoilers

My Hero Academia: Well... that was sad.

spoilers:
    Seriously, I am suprised at how sad I am that Midnight's dead. She was just fun and goofy, if a bit weird, and had some sweet scenes with the kids that aren't Mineta. And now she's dead. Doesn't help that we find out about it by seeing the arguably most cheerful students crying in anguish over Midnight's abandoned corpse.

Horikoshi really managed to capture what a devastating disaster this battle was. I am really looking forward to the parts where they deal with the aftermath of it all.
    end of spoilers

Black Clover: Things are going so well that you just know it's build-up for the villains to unleash their true strength.

But it's fun to watch while it lasts.

New Jersey can be rather strange in terms of weather. We used to get snow fall up to 4 feet deep. It's been a few years since we got snow more than a foot deep. We occasionally hit the 20's, but rarely below that. Wind is a big issue. Wind storms, Nor'easters, Ice Storms where the temp fluctuates between freezing and melting, and the occasional Hurricane.

Sometimes in the winter the temperature goes up into the 50's and almost feels springlike. Other days, like today, it's cold and cloudy. Yesterday it snowed, but the snow has melted already.

So we get a little taste of everything.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    New Jersey can be rather strange in terms of weather. We used to get snow fall up to 4 feet deep. It's been a few years since we got snow more than a foot deep. We occasionally hit the 20's, but rarely below that. Wind is a big issue. Wind storms, Nor'easters, Ice Storms where the temp fluctuates between freezing and melting, and the occasional Hurricane.

Sometimes in the winter the temperature goes up into the 50's and almost feels springlike. Other days, like today, it's cold and cloudy. Yesterday it snowed, but the snow has melted already.

So we get a little taste of everything.
    I've heard of NJ weather being up and down. Though I do need to translate your barbaric temperature system into something I understand. ^_^

So sometimes it gets as low as -7C.

Maaaaan...
    Why are we here?

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Humidity is brutal; like our winters, Ottawa summers have that in spades.

So, amusingly (actually not), I think Ottawa has one of the most crazy temperature differences for a capital city in the world. We go from anywhere down to -32C for the worst days (nearly always with added windchill), with windchill on really bad days of -45C (that's -26F and -49F, respectively), and shoot to up to +30-35C in the summer with Humidex getting as high as +43C (86F-95F, up to 110F with Humidex).

Without considering Humidex and Windchill (which make a HUGE difference), that's a difference of 77C (or 131F degrees difference between the highs and lows for the year). Note: those aren't record highs and lows, those are the highs and lows it may reach in any given year. Absolute records are something like -38C (without wind) and +38C (without humidex).

This does mean we never really fully acclimatize, though I will say that in springtime when it creeps above freezing you'll see people walking around in shirts or even short sleeves in the sunlight. Conversely, in the autumn, the same temperatures will cause people to bundle up and bitterly complain.

Toronto is much better due to the lake effect, but it's Toronto, so I don't live there. ^_^ <- Canada In-Joke.

Granted, when I visited Tokyo in September it was still like walking into a blast furnace. +30-35C EVERY DAY, with Humidity ranging between 85% and 95%. Crazy.
    Wow, that's crazy. I just did the. Math for the averages here. At our lowest (January) we average -2C (the average low just to measure for extremes), at our highest (July) we average 32C. Now mind you, we tend to have incredibly high humidity so the heat indexes in the summer are typically significantly higher, often times greater than 38C for large stretches at a time.

However, we tend towards the upper end of the scale for most of the year, so when we have those unexpected dip into colder temperatures in the winters, everyone here just does not know how to deal with it. I'm sure everyone has seem the post apocalyptic picture of North Carolina that one year when we got just a few inches of snow (cars burning, wrecked, people walking down the street). In our defense though, it was actually a layer of ice that caused driving issues, it came on quickly, and we don't have infrastructure investments to deal with wintry weather due to how infrequently we get it. Side note: We are supposed to get snow on Friday and I can already hear the sound of the bread and milk being ripped off the shelves in fits of panic buying by the locals here.

Wow, that's crazy. I just did the. Math for the averages here. At our lowest (January) we average -2C (the average low just to measure for extremes), at our highest (July) we average 32C. Now mind you, we tend to have incredibly high humidity so the heat indexes in the summer are typically significantly higher, often times greater than 38C for large stretches at a time.

However, we tend towards the upper end of the scale for most of the year, so when we have those unexpected dip into colder temperatures in the winters, everyone here just does not know how to deal with it. I'm sure everyone has seem the post apocalyptic picture of North Carolina that one year when we got just a few inches of snow (cars burning, wrecked, people walking down the street). In our defense though, it was actually a layer of ice that caused driving issues, it came on quickly, and we don't have infrastructure investments to deal with wintry weather due to how infrequently we get it. Side note: We are supposed to get snow on Friday and I can already hear the sound of the bread and milk being ripped off the shelves in fits of panic buying by the locals here.
    Ugh. Regularly above 38C Humidex? Even in the summer we get ups and downs, so it's never like what I wrote all the time (I gave high values). But -2C in the winter...hmm...hmm...

I think it's a common thing for places without snow to have issues when it happens. In Ottawa, we read about NYC getting closed down when they have 15cm of snow and the like, and it's a huge surprise. But in fairness, we have infrastructure and systems in place to deal with 15-25cm snowfalls (and worse sometimes, and are still expected to get to work), we're used to driving in it (mostly), and everyone has snowtires (if they're not boneheads and bought into the 'all-season' tires, which in Canada means 'no, three seasons you dummy'), etc. It's all in what one is accustomed to.

...which totally doesn't stop everyone from driving like idiots on the first big snowfall (either too cautiously or like maniacs), and the number of accidents to peak on that day. :P

Ice is bad. Ice when there's freezing rain (water-on-ice) is worse. Black ice is the worst, because it comes in unexpected patches, is slippery as crap-all, and happens to be invisible to boot. Also, it tends to form when it's REALLY cold...which means the tires are a little less good at sticking to the road anyway. :(
    Why are we here?

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Ugh. Regularly above 38C Humidex? Even in the summer we get ups and downs, so it's never like what I wrote all the time (I gave high values). But -2C in the winter...hmm...hmm...

I think it's a common thing for places without snow to have issues when it happens. In Ottawa, we read about NYC getting closed down when they have 15cm of snow and the like, and it's a huge surprise. But in fairness, we have infrastructure and systems in place to deal with 15-25cm snowfalls (and worse sometimes, and are still expected to get to work), we're used to driving in it (mostly), and everyone has snowtires (if they're not boneheads and bought into the 'all-season' tires, which in Canada means 'no, three seasons you dummy'), etc. It's all in what one is accustomed to.

...which totally doesn't stop everyone from driving like idiots on the first big snowfall (either too cautiously or like maniacs), and the number of accidents to peak on that day. :P

Ice is bad. Ice when there's freezing rain (water-on-ice) is worse. Black ice is the worst, because it comes in unexpected patches, is slippery as crap-all, and happens to be invisible to boot. Also, it tends to form when it's REALLY cold...which means the tires are a little less good at sticking to the road anyway.
    Yeah it's not uncommon between July and August to have 3-4 weeks of a heat index of 38C. It's not fun.

And yes, ice is the worst. Unfortunately here, due to the climate, when we get wintry precipitation it's typically freezing rain, sleet, or ice. Snow is pretty rare. However, snow or ice, won't stop certain people who have pickups from thinking they can drive on ice. The good news is that we on average only have 3-4 wintry weather events in a given winter season and most of them are non-events due to the ground temperature staying high enough to prevent most problems. Power lines though, that's a different issue.

Yeah it's not uncommon between July and August to have 3-4 weeks of a heat index of 38C. It's not fun.
    We don't get it quite that bad wrt humidex (maybe 'humidex' is a Canadian term, don't know - I see you using Heat Index). More like '3-4 weeks of 32-35C with humidex, breaking up to 38-40 or higher on occasion' (I get kicked out of work when it's above 41C, A/C in the old building simply cannot keep up).

And yes, ice is the worst. Unfortunately here, due to the climate, when we get wintry precipitation it's typically freezing rain, sleet, or ice. Snow is pretty rare. However, snow or ice, won't stop certain people who have pickups from thinking they can drive on ice. The good news is that we on average only have 3-4 wintry weather events in a given winter season and most of them are non-events due to the ground temperature staying high enough to prevent most problems. Power lines though, that's a different issue.
    Yeesh. Yeah, we have the same idiots up here. Good to hear that you don't get too many of those 'events'. :P

Freezing rain stinks.
    Why are we here?