A ghost from the past. Fervidor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Interesting. Will look that up.
    Yeah, it's actually really cool. Part of the way sharks hunt is by sensing the bio-electricity of their prey. I think I picked the hammerhead because I was under the impression they had the best electroreception of all sharks, but I can't find anything to back that up now so maybe I was mistaken.

I would guess it would mean to filter out different wavelengths to provide better ability to see through camouflage and the like. Might consider their 'mach punch' ability as well.
    I suspect you're thinking of snapping shrimps like the pistol shrimp. They're a different order from mantis shrimp.

Although, that said, I probably should have given her pistol shrimp powers as well. Possibly I hadn't yet heard about them back then.

True about the different types of venom (brown recluse has a VERY different venom than black widow). I just like the tactical planning ability.
    Well, she already had genius level intelligence (though severely lacking common sense and basic social skills) plus all kinds of animal instincts. Though, reading a bit on jumping spiders now and having instinctive yet complex and adaptable hunting tactics does sound cool. Almost like having a biological battle computer in your head.

Interesting idea for a shmorgishborg of powers.
    I believe I was just thinking about how various animals have senses and abilities we don't, and though it would be cool to put them all into one character.
    "This doesn't look easy. But I bet it is!"
    -Homer Simpson.

"Optimism through stalwart skepticism is a defect not everyone is lucky enough to be cursed with."
    -Homestuck.

Last edited by Beadle; 01-06-2021 at 10:52 AM.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Erm... Going to need to read more about this and the controversy either way before I start condemning or applauding.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fervidor View Post
    Yeah, it's actually really cool. Part of the way sharks hunt is by sensing the bio-electricity of their prey. I think I picked the hammerhead because I was under the impression they had the best electroreception of all sharks, but I can't find anything to back that up now so maybe I was mistaken.
    Still very interesting. Thanks for that.

I suspect you're thinking of snapping shrimps like the pistol shrimp. They're a different order from mantis shrimp.
    Actually, having looked up Mantis Shrimp on Wiki to verify, they do the 'speedy hit' thing as well.

Well, she already had genius level intelligence (though severely lacking common sense and basic social skills) plus all kinds of animal instincts. Though, reading a bit on jumping spiders now and having instinctive yet complex and adaptable hunting tactics does sound cool. Almost like having a biological battle computer in your head.
    Intelligence doesn't always translate to sensibility (as you note) or tactical ability. ^_^ Lotta geniuses can be tactically dumb. The Jumping Spiders thing is exactly what I was thinking of, especially one particular brand of them (who are better than most) who are spider-hunters.

Watched a movie of one planning a particularly difficult attack on a spider, then carrying it out (I can actually watch Jumping Spiders - they don't trigger the phobia as badly as other spiders due to their more crab-like shape, their binocular eyes, and their movement - even when running rather than jumping, they move more like ants than spiders, and it just doesn't really catch that part of my brain's attention as easily). Was fascinating, looking at it actually peering around, planning out its route, then following that route perfectly (no stops, no switchbacks, just 'follow the plan').

I believe I was just thinking about how various animals have senses and abilities we don't, and though it would be cool to put them all into one character.
    It's a good idea.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

I'm not sure we have any users in DC.

But... for my peace of mind, if you're in the USA at the moment - please take of yourselves. I really, really, really hope this coup doesn't gather steam.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

i go to sleep for a few hours from a migraine and i wake up to this crap in the capital.

if anyone is in DC, take care of yourself and stay safe.

Yeah, this isn’t great. If there IS anyone in and around the capital tonight, please take care.

In fact take care wherever you are. I suspect this may lead to other events.

A ghost from the past. Fervidor's Avatar

...2021 is already off to a great start, huh? -_-
    "This doesn't look easy. But I bet it is!"
    -Homer Simpson.

"Optimism through stalwart skepticism is a defect not everyone is lucky enough to be cursed with."
    -Homestuck.

Y'all ever think you were gonna watch American Democracy go up in smoke in real time?
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

and trump just makes things worse.

i needed a laugh right now.

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post

i needed a laugh right now.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

Capitol now secure. So at least there’s that.