Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

We're talking about her Warbird outfit, right?

I'm not a huge fan of the mask and the thigh-highs myself but it's definitely her most enduring look. More iconic than the Captain Marvel one posted above.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    The middle one? The dark blue one with the lightning flash and the hip sash?

I mean certainly not the Mar-Vell rip-off mini-skirt one.
    As far as distaffs go, it wasn't bad, but the Warbird outfit is definitely more iconic. The current outfit's impact is very much dependent on the decisions of the artist.

I'd have to respectfully disagree on it being the overall best as Ghost outlined above for a couple reasons, though:

1) Color Scheme. The trifecta of Red, Blue, with a highlight trim (in this case Yellow/Gold) is effective, but it is also exceedingly common.

Here's a little thought experiment. Think of the original 8 World Warriors in Street Fighter 2. It's probably rather easy to figure out which one is which by colour pallet alone:

Carol shares a colour distribution rather similar to Superman, Wonder Woman, Spider-man, Miracle Man, All-Might. It's a step up from Mar-Vell, whose second costume this is based on, but that brings me to my next point.

2) The Star Splash motif isn't particularly distinct or to her, either, and while the symbol as part of her personal image system resonates as an echo from the original Mar-Vell, it is shared by many other characters, like Genis, Nova, Monica and Radioactive Man.. In addition, Carol's zipper goes through it. I suppose it's to emphasize a 'practical' angle so she can suit up at a moment's notice, but man does that bug me.

Of course, art is in the eye of the beholder and reception is subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    As far as distaffs go, it wasn't bad, but the Warbird outfit is definitely more iconic. The current outfit's impact is very much dependent on the decisions of the artist.

I'd have to respectfully disagree on it being the overall best as Ghost outlined above for a couple reasons, though:

1) Color Scheme. The trifecta of Red, Blue, with a highlight trim (in this case Yellow/Gold) is effective, but it is also exceedingly common.

Here's a little thought experiment. Think of the original 8 World Warriors in Street Fighter 2. It's probably rather easy to figure out which one is which by colour pallet alone:

Carol shares a colour distribution rather similar to Superman, Wonder Woman, Spider-man, Miracle Man, All-Might. It's a step up from Mar-Vell, whose second costume this is based on, but that brings me to my next point.

2) The Star Splash motif isn't particularly distinct or to her, either, and while the symbol as part of her personal image system resonates as an echo from the original Mar-Vell, it is shared by many other characters, like Genis, Nova, Monica and Radioactive Man.. In addition, Carol's zipper goes through it. I suppose it's to emphasize a 'practical' angle so she can suit up at a moment's notice, but man does that bug me.

Of course, art is in the eye of the beholder and reception is subjective.
    Basically this.

Only I gave much less detail in my arguments.

Because I’m lazy AF.

Basically this.

Only I gave much less detail in my arguments.

Because I’m lazy AF.
    You're also a duck and don't have thumbs.

It's a wonder you can type so well.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

The two pictures aren't from the same source, one is a fan comic the other I think is an edit, but it's funnier to put them together.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Extraordinary Member

My favorite Carol Danvers Look is this one, with McKelvie's costume and the long hair.

Mohawk Carol is cool.

The rest are fine.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Welcome to hard mode!

Just as a notice, the second video features some spiders being modded into the game, so for the sake of our arachnophobic friends, I will not be linking to that one here.

You can the other videos the guy made on his channel. Some cool stuff.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

A ghost from the past. Fervidor's Avatar

I’m intrigued. What are your criteria?
    Over-all design, colors and color balance, practical yet suitably flashy, stuff like that.

I mean Carol’s costume is flashy, colourful, dynamic, non-fan-services and clearly functional (which in itself is very good, particularly for a female superhero).

But there’s not much symbology. It’s not what I’d call ‘iconic’.

It’s actually fairly generic - the kind of thing you might see on the cover of a Heroes Unlimited rule book.
    Well, I do get what you're saying: I can see how it could come across as generic, but I prefer to think of it as simple. Clean. I dunno... pure?

"Iconic" to me isn't something you do deliberately: A character or character design becomes iconic over time by making a significant cultural impact. Icons represent something that people care about. In that sense, you have a valid point. I'm not even very familiar with Captain Marvel, my opinion here is based purely on aesthetics.

It's like if you condensed everything I think a good superhero costume design should feature down to the essentials, you basically end up with something like her suit.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I assume we mean this one?
    That's the one, though I prefer it without the diagonal yellow line down the front. (Even if it makes total practical sense to have a zipper there.) Basically I meant that design in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Maybe referring to old Danvers' outfit?
    The middle one? The dark blue one with the lightning flash and the hip sash?
    That one I actually don't like much at all. I dunno, it somehow manages to look like it's trying too hard and coming off as generic at the same time.

I mean certainly not the Mar-Vell rip-off mini-skirt one.
    I do kinda dig the scarf, though.

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post

Carol shares a colour distribution rather similar to Superman, Wonder Woman, Spider-man, Miracle Man, All-Might.
    Also Thor, Mario and Renaissance depictions of Jesus Christ.

Thing is, I don't think that's a bad thing. I think this color scheme - mostly blue, some red and a splash of gold or white - became associated with great heroes for a reason. And regardless of what that reason is, you can't deny it clearly works: These are all pretty famous characters that people care about.

Originality and distinctiveness is nice, I guess, but over time I've come to think it's not really worth much if it comes as the expense of the over-all impression.

2) The Star Splash motif isn't particularly distinct or to her, either,
    Oh, I don't particularly care about that. You can always come up with more meaningful emblem that fits into the design. Think of it as a placeholder, I guess.

You can definitely refine and improve it, is what I'm saying. But if there is theoretically some perfect superhero design - even if only in terms of my own subjective taste and opinion - it is probably closer to that of Captain Marvel than any other character I've seen.

In addition, Carol's zipper goes through it. I suppose it's to emphasize a 'practical' angle so she can suit up at a moment's notice, but man does that bug me.
    Like I stated above, I actually agree with you on that. I have seen pictures of her without it, though I don't know if that's a canonical diegetic change or just an aesthetic choice by the artist.
    Last edited by Fervidor; 01-08-2021 at 10:48 PM.
    "This doesn't look easy. But I bet it is!"
    -Homer Simpson.

"Optimism through stalwart skepticism is a defect not everyone is lucky enough to be cursed with."
    -Homestuck.

This will be one of the rare times I initiate a topic regarding politics here: The blubbery sack of orange skin has been permanently banned not only on Twitter, but every social media platform. He tried using a government account to log back in and was again removed. It's also trending that his followers/cultists on Twitter are ostensibly leaving in a mass exodus of protest. Suffice to say, no one gives a crap. On top of that, it's looking increasingly likely that he's going to be impeached a week before Biden's inauguration.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    This will be one of the rare times I initiate a topic regarding politics here: The blubbery sack of orange skin has been permanently banned not only on Twitter, but every social media platform. He tried using a government account to log back in and was again removed. It's also trending that his followers/cultists on Twitter are ostensibly leaving in a mass exodus of protest. Suffice to say, no one gives a crap. On top of that, it's looking increasingly likely that he's going to be impeached a week before Biden's inauguration.
    Fingers crossed.

And I do have to wonder who it was that finally put their foot down and made him read that statement that people storming into the capitol were wrong for doing so AND admitting that there would be a new government taking over soon. I'd like to shake that person's hand... you know, when we can safely shake hands again. Which is, fingers crossed, hopefully soon-ish

Extraordinary Member

Fire Force: As expected, Charon isn't going to give up just because he's actually been wounded for once, and apparently our heroes were tricked into playing defense here.

A Certain Scientific Railgun: And that's a wrap on the series best arc since the first season. It's probably going to be a while before they can get it animated, but I really hope it happens sooner rather than later because there are so many moments here that I would love to see in anime form. And we get a bit of a hint about friends from Misaka's past as the series heads into a new arc.

Fairy Tail: Team Natsu has been demonlished by Selene's henchwomen, and now she's planning to torture or brainwash them. It's a bit unclear but unnerving still.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    You're also a duck and don't have thumbs.

It's a wonder you can type so well.
    Opposable feathers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post

Fairy Tail: Team Natsu has been demonlished by Selene's henchwomen, and now she's planning to torture or brainwash them. It's a bit unclear but unnerving still.
    Yeah, the ending of that chapter legitimately made me feel uneasy and worried. Hopefully, there is no actual brainwashing involved since we just got off an entire arc dealing with an antagonist with that modus operandi and I don;t want to see my main boys and girls being manipulated like that again. On another note, I look forward to Lucy learning about Spiritual Arts to give herself a long overdue power boost.

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

What was once a joke may soon become reality.

And Nero, you never learn, do you? You're almost the Lancer of Tsukihime.

Nero: *tries to devour Old Man Hassan with Xenomorph-looking beast and Hassan casually breaks free with an epic aura burst* : Why, oh WHY, do I keep getting into losing fights with assassin-like characters with Instant Death powers?!