The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    No no, I mean.

I didn't realize the guy was still allowed at Marvel, after his comments a few years back that a journalist shouldn't have been slapped but punched after he was attacked by another journalist for not being heterosexual.
    Yeah, that is one of the crappy things he has done before this. And he did the same thing - when he was called on it, he 'apologized'.

But then, he's a Bolsonaro supporter, so all of this is Not Exactly Unexpected™.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Zero MKA View Post
    The artist of the immortal hulk book depicted a jewish owned jewelry shop as having a yellow star of David as the logo and he also "accidentally" dropped the L from jewelry.

Edit: Ah, didn't know you already knew about it.
    This isn't all that different from that one fella that did the same with Kitty Pride a few years back (obscured jewelry sign and all); and also implied via an Indonesian translation of the Quran, that Jews and Christians shouldn't be elected officials.

And... yknow, Kitty Pride is Jewish and was at the time, leading the X-Men.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Guess Disney is sticking to their roots, ultimately.

Zing.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    This isn't all that different from that one fella that did the same with Kitty Pride a few years back (obscured jewelry sign and all); and also implied via an Indonesian translation of the Quran, that Jews and Christians shouldn't be elected officials.

And... yknow, Kitty Pride is Jewish and was at the time, leading the X-Men.
    I saw that, too. Ugh, there has to be some kind of mandate. No way any competent editor let's that go through to print.
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

The artist of the immortal hulk book depicted a jewish owned jewelry shop as having a yellow star of David as the logo and he also "accidentally" dropped the L from jewelry.

Edit: Ah, didn't know you already knew about it.
    For clarity, the artist...

1. Also used (and mispelled) Cronenberg in the name of the store, while claiming the only reason was that he likes to put in nods to horror movies in the series (which is true, but interesting that he chose 'Cronenberg' for this particular store).

2. Also did this when the writer had characters talking about loads of money.

3. Also did this when the writer had one of the characters thinking '...I'm the other kind of dirtbag, the kind with money.' Emphasis the writer's.

Now, I don't blame the writer - clearly they were trying to make the idea that the character is hiding in plain sight by acting like a rich *******, and there's nothing in the writing to connect the statement with Jewish people.

Buuuuut....

Then the artist makes the name of the store be Cronemberg[sic] Jewery and puts a YELLOW star of David on the sign (yellow stars of David - aka 'yellow badges' - being what Jewish people were forced to wear to ID them throughout history from the 8th century onward, and also by the Nazis). Link that with what the writer gave him as a script, and bite me Joe Bennett, you're a lying anti-Semite.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 02-04-2021 at 08:41 AM.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    For clarity, the artist...

1. Also used (and mispelled) Cronenberg in the name of the store, while claiming the only reason was that he likes to put in nods to horror movies in the series (which is true, but interesting that he chose 'Cronenberg' for this particular store).

2. Also did this when the writer had characters talking about loads of money.

3. Also did this when the writer had one of the characters thinking '...I'm the other kind of dirtbag, the kind with money.' Emphasis the writer's.

Now, I don't blame the writer - clearly they were trying to make the idea that the character is hiding in plain sight by acting like a rich *******, and there's nothing in the writing to connect the statement with Jewish people.

Buuuuut....

Then the artist makes the name of the store be Cronemberg[sic] Jewery and puts a YELLOW star of David on the sign (yellow stars of David - aka 'yellow badges' - being what Jewish people were forced to wear to ID them throughout history from the 8th century onward, and also by the Nazis). Link that with what the writer gave him as a script, and bite me Joe Bennett, you're a lying anti-Semite.
    Yeesh, this guy's been mask-off for a while. Honestly surprised Marvel as it is now would continue to employ the guy. Maybe this will be the final straw.
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Yeesh, this guy's been mask-off for a while. Honestly surprised Marvel as it is now would continue to employ the guy. Maybe this will be the final straw.
    Marvel seems to be working with him on the apology front, so I doubt they'll hoof him. He's kind of the signature artist for Immortal Hulk, which I understand is doing well, so...you know, money talks and all.
    Why are we here?

So, yeah - Marvel.

'Marvel’s assertion to CBR stated they “fully acknowledged this mistake was missed on our side as well”.'

They're going with 'it was a mistake'.

And nearly NOBODY - by that, I mean news agencies - is mentioning that the Star of David was yellow, and what that might signify.
    Why are we here?

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

I thought the Star of David was used to identify them because it was a symbol of their religion from before it was used as an ID system thing. So if yellow is the color of it being used as a symbol of oppression, what color do they make it when they use it as a symbol of their religion themselves? Or am I misunderstanding and it's become so bound up in the concept of being a symbol of oppression that they don't use it as their own symbol anymore?
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    I thought the Star of David was used to identify them because it was a symbol of their religion from before it was used as an ID system thing. So if yellow is the color of it being used as a symbol of oppression, what color do they make it when they use it as a symbol of their religion themselves? Or am I misunderstanding and it's become so bound up in the concept of being a symbol of oppression that they don't use it as their own symbol anymore?
    Here you go. I'm not Jewish so I can't explain as well - and probably shouldn't - but I imagine the wiki article has everything you need.

Note the link I left above regarding the yellow Star of David. And again, it's not just that one thing in the list of things. It's all of them, together.

I mean, if the only thing was a yellow Star of David, one might be able to say 'Well, it's a jewelry shop, maybe it was supposed to be gold or something'. Still wouldn't do that, but if that were his explanation, I might buy it.

But it's not just that. It's that. It's the misspelling, 'Jewery'. It's the use of Cronenberg's name, in this specific instance. It's the conversation that he drew this around. It's a lot of stuff.

Too much for me to accept as real his 'apology' and his explanation, especially when lined up with his past (including other 'apologies' after the fact).
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 02-04-2021 at 09:15 AM.
    Why are we here?

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Here you go. I'm not Jewish so I can't explain as well - and probably shouldn't - but I imagine the wiki article has everything you need.
    Blue! DUH! I've SEEN that before.

Note the link I left above regarding the Yellow Star of David. And again, it's not just that one thing in the list of things. It's all of them, together.
    Oh yeah, I understood that, I was just wondering what the right color was.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    Blue! DUH! I've SEEN that before.
    I mostly see it depicted as blue as well, but I don't know if that is specifically the 'official' colour. Again, not Jewish, so...

Oh yeah, I understood that, I was just wondering what the right color was.
    Gotcha. My misunderstanding of that!
    Why are we here?

I'm near the end of the second act of Ghost of Tsushima. Oh man Poor Taka all he want to do was help, and gets killed off by Khotun Khan in a brutal way in front of Sakai. Taka was kind of Sakai admire and close friend throughout the game, and want to help the Samurai.
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Would have preferred if you'd formally asked to claim the slot first but okay.
    Sorry I thought I had to do a slot by Pm.
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Extraordinary Member

Okay, if both you and Subby are feeling this way it's sounding pretty egregious. O_o

I've seen some of that, myself, and...well, yeah.
    I think the idea that Jason Aaron hates Thor is overblown. Making the Phoenix Thor's mom is a bad retcon, but I don't see how it displays any sort of contempt for the character.

As for his Thor run, Thor having a spell of misfortune isn't any indicator of disliking a character. Daredevil got pretty messed up in Frank Miller's run of his book, and no one says Miller hates Daredevil.