Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    So my job was made redundant and I was fired via email as a result
    That's awful. So very sorry...

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Sure, I get that. It's just that I feel we're on this kiddie-rollercoaster of

spoilers:
    Hit villain with super technique, villain hyper-regenerates, another super technique, villain regenerates, supercharged Ryong wanders in with another super-technique, villain shrugs it off, Yong-bi...
    end of spoilers

It's kind of how the entire Dan arc has been going, in a nutshell. I love the series, it's just that if this is the actual end, it's a bit of a let-down, and weak in comparison to the crazy fights of earlier. I would have preferred something tighter, without the endless iterations of the above.

Agreed. I can forgive some of that on the idea - noted by the old fellows - that

spoilers:
    he's been sitting on his duff plotting and puppet-mastering behind the scenes, while everyone else has been actually doing shit, getting better, etc. That would also apply to his common sense, I feel.
    end of spoilers

But at the same time, it's a little much.

Basically, for me the issue is that the series before the Dan arc was so darned good that it raised the bar really high. And then this. Which, while beautifully illustrated, is kind of 'meh' for me.

It's not garbage or anything, it's just not living up to the rest of the series for me. Still worth reading to find out how it ends.

Mileage, etc. ^_^
    Don't disagree with any of that, you will recall my big objections to the introduction of the Dan as a concept at the time.

I'm just sad that other three new generation fighters got shafted so hard in favour of Yong-bi and Goo-hui.

Now, don't get me wrong, I really enjoy the old timers but this really shouldn't have been their story.

Like what if, instead of Okcheonbi. The three/four of the new gen fighters are able to just take out Hebi and his Dan and then Hansa, with his hallucination abilities, had set Ryong against the other three in the showdown that the series had technically been building to since like chapter five.

How sick would that have been?

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Don't disagree with any of that, you will recall my big objections to the introduction of the Dan as a concept at the time.

I'm just sad that other three new generation fighters got shafted so hard in favour of Yong-bi and Goo-hui.

Now, don't get me wrong, I really enjoy the old timers but this really shouldn't have been their story.
    100% Agreement. I'm happy Yong-bi and, to a greater extent, Goo-hui, have shown up in the comics and actually DONE stuff - it's a good call out, nostalgia, etc. However, I would have preferred that the characters who have been in the comic all along, about whom the comic is written, were the ones in the end.

Instead, we end up with the Dan artificially boosting Ryong and all of the other important characters getting sidelined after the quarter-finals.

Looks to me like the author has too much of a link with his old characters.

Like what if, instead of Okcheonbi. The three/four of the new gen fighters are able to just take out Hebi and his Dan and then Hansa, with his hallucination abilities, had set Ryong against the other three in the showdown that the series had technically been building to since like chapter five.

How sick would that have been?
    FAR better. Nice choice. That would have been awesome.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

On the plus side, am really enjoying Kill Six Billion Demons. Story? Crazy. Characters? Wild. Themes? Very deep. Asides into prose? Fantastic.

And where else can I see magic Kung Fu battles between 'Leisure Kick Style' and '49 Empty Palms', with one character getting the advantage due to 'Burning Finger' attacks to pressure points...then deciding to finish their opponent by beating them to death with a table?
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 02-08-2021 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Not nine, six. Should be nine. Nine is lucky. Six is not.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

So after some rereading...God damn it, will Tekken Chinmi Legends be updated again?

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

On the plus side, am really enjoying Kill Six Billion Demons. Story? Crazy. Characters? Wild. Themes? Very deep. Asides into prose? Fantastic.

And where else can I see magic Kung Fu battles between 'Leisure Kick Style' and '49 Empty Palms', with one character getting the advantage due to 'Burning Finger' attacks to pressure points...then deciding to finish their opponent by beating them to death with a table?
    I got my trades of it through recently so I've now read pretty much all of it twice through.

It's exactly the kind of thing I'm working on but deeper and much more well thought out than my own efforts.

Very glad you're having fun with it. Where are you up to?

Just got news, my brother is expecting his second child today. Uncle of 4 kids soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Twister View Post
    So after some rereading...God damn it, will Tekken Chinmi Legends be updated again?
    I don't think any scans groups are working on it.

I also don't know but it might be on Shuiesha's new Manga Plus service but I haven't gone digging yet.

Just got news, my brother is expecting his second child today. Uncle of 4 kids soon.
    Congratulations, a most experienced uncle by this time haha

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

Nice! Congrats,Twister!
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

I don't think any scans groups are working on it.

I also don't know but it might be on Shuiesha's new Manga Plus service but I haven't gone digging yet.
    Right. Nevertheless, still a fun series with the right flow of action and humor that never feel overstaying its welcome.

Congratulations, a most experienced uncle by this time haha
    Thanks. Kind of lifts the spirits after a really harrowing time at work (scheduling is utter bananas right now because multiple hires are apparently too dumb to read their schedules).

I got my trades of it through recently so I've now read pretty much all of it twice through.

It's exactly the kind of thing I'm working on but deeper and much more well thought out than my own efforts.

Very glad you're having fun with it. Where are you up to?
    I'm out of the trades (the website I was reading them on only had three) and into the webcomic. Up to the tournament - let's see, 9-90 is the current page. Allison just came up with an idea, don't know what it is yet.

Congratulations Iron, and good lord. O_o
    Why are we here?

Okay, maybe I worded it like a moron. This will be my brother's second child. Adding with two kids from my sister and the first kid of my brother's, it'll be 4 kids

...I really hope nobody thought I meant 4 kids at once cause of my lousy phrasing. XD

I'm out of the trades (the website I was reading them on only had three) and into the webcomic. Up to the tournament - let's see, 9-90 is the current page. Allison just came up with an idea, don't know what it is yet.
    Ah, this arc is a lot of fun.

To look back on things that you've already covered:

spoilers:
    I really liked the reveal that Mammon was basically a slightly senile old dragon who didn't even know why he was collecting and counting things any more and was quite happy to accept invaders into his vault if they apologised. A really fun take on the avaricious dragon archetype; he's so old and rotted by his initial greed, that it's just aeon-old habit with an entire legion of religious followers built up around it.
    end of spoilers

I enjoyed spoilers:
    Mottom's kingdom and her specific trauma as manifested through her quest for beauty and eternal life actually making her position of rule a prison of her own making,
    end of spoilers which was a similar theme, but done in a more conventional way.

All the Key Holders have been a lot of fun. I'm not going to mention what's happening currently, but there's STUFF.

Also, spoilers:
    thoughts on the The Beggar Knight? I think she's very your speed in terms of character.
    end of spoilers

Okay, maybe I worded it like a moron. This will be my brother's second child. Adding with two kids from my sister and the first kid of my brother's, it'll be 4 kids

...I really hope nobody thought I meant 4 kids at once cause of my lousy phrasing. XD
    No worries, I got that. It's just four kids...look, I have none, the closest nieces are two living in a city six hours from me.

Ah, this arc is a lot of fun.

To look back on things that you've already covered:

spoilers:
    I really liked the reveal that Mammon was basically a slightly senile old dragon who didn't even know why he was collecting and counting things any more and was quite happy to accept invaders into his vault if they apologised. A really fun take on the avaricious dragon archetype; he's so old and rotted by his initial greed, that it's just aeon-old habit with an entire legion of religious followers built up around it.
    end of spoilers
    I REALLY liked that, especially since

spoilers:
    this place they'd made, while not great, was at least somewhat safe for everyone in it. I was expecting horror, like everything else, and it wasn't that. Also, Mammon is quite polite. ^_^
    end of spoilers

I enjoyed spoilers:
    Mottom's kingdom and her specific trauma as manifested through her quest for beauty and eternal life actually making her position of rule a prison of her own making,
    end of spoilers which was a similar theme, but done in a more conventional way.
    That part was really good, and really deep. Played as a spoilers:
    victim, but not really, not in the end. Or more accurately, a victim now trapped in a cycle of victimization.
    end of spoilers

Keyholders are great, no question of that. Rather a diverse lot.

Also, spoilers:
    thoughts on the The Beggar Knight? I think she's very your speed in terms of character.
    end of spoilers
    I'm terrible with names. ^_^ Are we talking about the swordswoman who keeps showing up, who was spoilers:
    apprenticed along with one of the Keyholders?
    end of spoilers If that's her, she's interesting, to be sure. Rather inscrutable. I'm waiting to see where she comes down.

My favorite character spoilers:
    is actually Cio. Didn't think it would be, but definitely, so far. I rather enjoy emotional characters who get dragged, kicking and screaming, into the situation, but then DOES stuff. ^_^
    end of spoilers
    Why are we here?