Damn Gina Carano got fired. I don’t really agree with that but I saw it coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Twister View Post
    Good news. My brother's second child was born this week. Unfortunately no hospital visits but he assured us things are going quite well.
    Congratulations on having another nephew/niece to spoil!

Quote Originally Posted by FistofIron View Post
    Damn Gina Carano got fired. I don’t really agree with that but I saw it coming.
    Given the vile crap she's been spewing in regards to Jews and her revisionist interpretation of how they were treated in Nazi Germany, her comments regarding the January 6th attack on Capitol as well as echoing the same anti-vaxxer nonsense, it was going to happen sooner rather than later.
    Last edited by Len Ikari145; 02-11-2021 at 04:48 AM.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    Congratulations on having a nephew/niece to spoil!

Given the vile crap she's been spewing in regards to Jews and her revisionist interpretation of how they were treated in Nazi Germany, her comments regarding the January 6th attack on Capitol as well as echoing the same anti-vaxxer nonsense, it was going to happen sooner rather than later.
    I have no problem with people having different views but the smart move would’ve been to keep them to herself.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Twister View Post
    Good news. My brother's second child was born this week. Unfortunately no hospital visits but he assured us things are going quite well.
    Hey, congratulations!

As for Carano, good riddance. After reading about her spreading of misinformation and her liking of posts mocking BLM, this current thing doesn't come as a surprise. Edit: it's also depressing and hilarious that people are complaining about 'cancel culture' and 'First Amendment Rights' wrt this. Do people not understand simple consequences? Do they not understand their own First Amendment (I'm Canadian, and seem to grasp it better than the complainers do)?

....another completely unsurprising thing: Joss Whedon apparently a scumbag.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 02-11-2021 at 05:14 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

I have no problem with people having different views but the smart move would’ve been to keep them to herself.
    I mean, not wanting to open a can of worms here, but "different views," is an extremely generous term for anti-vaxxers.

Antivax "beliefs," and the behaviours associated with it actively endanger people in normal times and have literally gotten people killed in the pandemic.

I'm not going to get into the Jan 6th stuff or the antisemitism, I feel like that would be too pointedly political for general chat, but I would politely suggest you consider what "different views," you do and do not have a problem with.

If it's going to get people sick or killed, maybe you should have a problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I mean, not wanting to open a can of worms here, but "different views," is an extremely generous term for anti-vaxxers.

Antivax "beliefs," and the behaviours associated with it actively endanger people in normal times and have literally gotten people killed in the pandemic.

I'm not going to get into the Jan 6th stuff or the antisemitism, I feel like that would be too pointedly political for general chat, but I would politely suggest you consider what "different views," you do and do not have a problem with.

If it's going to get people sick or killed, maybe you should have a problem with it.
    Honestly people should learn how to think for themselves and do their own research. I don’t agree with everything she’s said but it’s very easy to ignore someone.

Honestly people should learn how to think for themselves and do their own research. I don’t agree with everything she’s said but it’s very easy to ignore someone.
    Yes, but an alarming number of people do not question stuff that comes from a person with a big platform whom they admire.

Equally, you saying you "don't have a problem with it," is a soft endorsement of what she's said. The implication is that it's not objectionable or harmful enough for you to condemn it.

Now, I don't think you hold antisemitic views or believe that vaccines are microchips or whatever, but by actively saying "I don't have a problem with these views," you are normalizing them.

To be clear, I'm not saying we all have make declarations about how we pointedly disagree with these ideas. I would just advise you to be careful about how it looks when you specifically say you /don't/ have a problem with it.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Forum needs a like button. I've been sitting here trying to think of a way of saying this that doesn't sound attack-y, and along comes Nik.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Yes, but an alarming number of people do not question stuff that comes from a person with a big platform whom they admire.

Equally, you saying you "don't have a problem with it," is a soft endorsement of what she's said. The implication is that it's not objectionable or harmful enough for you to condemn it.

Now, I don't think you hold antisemitic views or believe that vaccines are microchips or whatever, but by actively saying "I don't have a problem with these views," you are normalizing them.

To be clear, I'm not saying we all have make declarations about how we pointedly disagree with these ideas. I would just advise you to be careful about how it looks when you specifically say you /don't/ have a problem with it.
    Dude it’s not her fault if people can’t think for themselves.

Dude it’s not her fault if people can’t think for themselves.
    Okay...

1) She has a comparatively enormous platform and I am of the opinion that there is a certain level of responsibility that comes that level of reach. She should try not hurt her own fans or followers with the stuff she says.

2) If, according to you, "doing their own research," or "thinking for themselves," is the responsibility of everyone, why is Carano exempt from that? Are you saying she should be allowed to put out dangerous views without any form of pushback or repercussion? Her views on vaccination are demonstrably incorrect and even rudimentary research would prove that.

3) My post as less about Carano's views or responsibilities, rather more about how your lack of objection reflects on you.

Okay...

1) She has a comparatively enormous platform and I am of the opinion that there is a certain level of responsibility that comes that level of reach. She should try not hurt her own fans or followers with the stuff she says.

2) If, according to you, "doing their own research," or "thinking for themselves," is the responsibility of everyone, why is Carano exempt from that? Are you saying she should be allowed to put out dangerous views without any form of pushback or repercussion? Her views on vaccination are demonstrably incorrect and even rudimentary research would prove that.

3) My post as less about Carano's views or responsibilities, rather more about how your lack of objection reflects on you.
    What I’m saying is that I’m not a fan of people blindly following others. Just because you like someone doesn’t mean you have to be on board with everything that they say or do. We all make our own choices.

What I’m saying is that I’m not a fan of people blindly following others. Just because you like someone doesn’t mean you have to be on board with everything that they say or do. We all make our own choices.
    I don't disagree with that in principle but, again, that's not my point.

My point was that, by saying you "don't have a problem," with harmful views, you are tacitly endorsing them.

My intention is not to make much of a comment on Carano herself or her responsibilities, it was to point out to you what your somewhat blasé attitude was implying.

Like, if you think antivaxx views are dangerous and actively harmful [they are] and if you think antisemitism is bad [it is] saying "I don't have a problem with these views," is not a good look.

I don't disagree with that in principle but, again, that's not my point.

My point was that, by saying you "don't have a problem," with harmful views, you are tacitly endorsing them.

My intention is not to make much of a comment on Carano herself or her responsibilities, it was to point out to you what your somewhat blasé attitude was implying.

Like, if you think antivaxx views are dangerous and actively harmful [they are] and if you think antisemitism is bad [it is] saying "I don't have a problem with these views," is not a good look.
    People are going to think what they want to. My point is that everyone is responsible for themselves.

People are going to think what they want to. My point is that everyone is responsible for themselves.
    I feel like you're just not engaging with my point.

One more attempt and then I'll drop it because I have work to get back to.

Yes, people can think what they want.

But, when they say those thoughts out loud in a big public forum, and those thoughts are harmful/dangerous, and you say "I don't have problem with these views," - you are endorsing those views as being acceptable.

This is the key point here. You can take it or leave it. I only make this point because I don't think you do agree with those beliefs and would not want to be mistaken as doing so.

And as an aside, no lots of people aren't responsible for themselves. That's the whole dangerous thing about antivaxx rhetoric; preventative measures against disease only work if we all do them together. You personally can wear a mask and get a vaccine, but you will still be at risk if others are letting the disease run rampant, spread and mutate.

You seem to care a lot about individual responsibility, my point is that you should have a sense of individual responsibility for other people in your community or society.

I'm dropping this here but I would strongly recommend that you reflect on how your beliefs, and your application of them, come across to others.

Amazing Member

Started to get in the middle of this, but I'll just leave a simple thought:

Actions have consequences. If someone chooses (be it a person or a company) to not associated with you due to actions you did yourself, then that's just how it is and maybe you should take the time to look at yourself.

Also, saw sharp mention it briefly in the midst of this, but this isn't the first time someone has pointed out Whedon's behavior, right?