1. #20446
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,574

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Twister View Post
    ...Wow, I I didn't realize how the battle of Geonosis really aged poorly for me until I wrote down that statement.
    Yeah. Most of the CGI for the prequels has not aged very well at all.

    It'll be interesting to see how we view the visual effects for the sequels and other modern Star Wars movie in a few years. Currently I'd say that they're the best looking ones of the bunch.

  2. #20447
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,660

    Default

    So, latest Avengers continues the 'Dirtee Fighting' trope.

    spoilers:
    Black Panther and Wolverine are fighting to the death, effectively, over who gets to be host to the Phoenix. Logan is, yes, using claws. Has them in the classic 'claws on each side of Panther's face, middle claw not yet popped' setup. Panther groin-kicks him (how did Logan not see that coming and leave himself that open? Magical dirty fighting!). Then there's a short discussion in the fight with Logan commenting that Panther is 'low-down' for kicking him in the groin - Logan? Really? - and the Panther going on about 'that most dishonorable of blows'. And 'I only resort to such tactics because you entered this fight with murder in your heart.'

    This entire thing has clearly been written by:

    1. A man;
    2. Who has never been in a real fight in their life.

    Fight to the death, and not only is a groin-shot 'dirty' somehow, it's worse than, I don't know, shanking someone? Dishonorable? It's really kind of sad.
    end of spoilers

    Thus endeth the rant.

    This whole storyline has been bleah, no exception here.
    Why Are We Here?, by Pendaran

    "...the Myths Transformed version of the legendarium, in which the Moon is Melkor's attempt to make his own Arda with blackjack and hookers." - Estrecca

    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik Hasta

    "[Kent] Nelson was nearly invariably presented as the guy who, barring the Spectre, made everyone else generally gasp and go "Doctor Fate don't shiv, he balls nasty.", even Superman." - Pendaran

  3. #20448
    Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,364

    Default

    Yeah...That's pretty annoying. A good portion of writers seem to be on the assumption that heroes (sometimes despite having existed for years under other writers) fight like gentlemen or there's some kind of unwritten list of rules at play.

    ...Those two are grown men that fought in numerous battles by now. Not kids in a playground fight.

  4. #20449
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,660

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Twister View Post
    Yeah...That's pretty annoying. A good portion of writers seem to be on the assumption that heroes (sometimes despite having existed for years under other writers) fight like gentlemen or there's some kind of unwritten list of rules at play.
    Nailed it. It's like...okay, speaking as a guy who knows guys who have never been in fights, there's this huge idea among a lot of men that kicking in the nuts is 'dirty fighting'. Why? Probably because they don't want to get kicked in the nuts, and view it with some worry. Why? They've never been in a real fight, don't understand that in real fights getting kicked in the nuts is the least of the worries as compared to, for example, getting one's teeth broken in, or skull cracked, or killed. Taking a shot in the nuts is probably the worst thing that has happened to them (because let's face it, EVERY guy has gone through this), and it shocked/ hurt/humiliated them.

    So...'it's dirty, don't do that, it's WRONG.'

    And this carries over into writing.

    ...Those two are grown men that fought in numerous battles by now. Not kids in a playground fight.
    And this is the opposite, more realistic viewpoint. Exactly. Not to mention that the fate of the world is potentially at stake.

    These guys have faced the worst the world has offered and come out on top. They've had to fight uphill battles. They've been kicked in the nuts. They've kicked people in the nuts. Lots (go back on their careers, you'll find it). They've also busted people's bones, which leave people injured and in pain far worse than a nutshot. They've toppled heavy objects on people. They've used weapons against unarmed people. They've gutted people with knives attached to their hands. They've deliberately inflicted pain on people to get information. Etc. Etc.

    The entire idea that they might be a tad bent out of shape that one of them kicked the other in the nuts is beyond ludicrous, especially when they are actually fighting each other with the aforementioned knives on their hands. It's simply dumb. It's ignorant, and badly-considered.

    On TOP of that, the idea that Logan wouldn't be protecting his nuts (this is something even untrained men do, automatically, and Logan being a guy who has been in a gazillion fights, been trained, has kicked people in the nuts, has suffered through the same) is dumb and ill-thought-out.

    The idea that either of them even consider that certain things in fighting are 'dirty' or 'dishonorable'...really? Setting aside the fact that 'nobody made up rules' and 'these aren't kids', these guys have done things like 'attack from ambush', 'kill people who are at their mercy', and 'prep to ensure all aspects of the environment are in their favor in a fight against another person'.

    But a nutshot is dishonorable and 'low-down'.

    Really, it's crappy writing. No other way to look at it.
    Why Are We Here?, by Pendaran

    "...the Myths Transformed version of the legendarium, in which the Moon is Melkor's attempt to make his own Arda with blackjack and hookers." - Estrecca

    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik Hasta

    "[Kent] Nelson was nearly invariably presented as the guy who, barring the Spectre, made everyone else generally gasp and go "Doctor Fate don't shiv, he balls nasty.", even Superman." - Pendaran

  5. #20450
    Mighty Member FistofIron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,378

    Default

    My roommates recently got a 3D printer and they’ve been making some cool stuff.

  6. #20451
    Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Nailed it. It's like...okay, speaking as a guy who knows guys who have never been in fights, there's this huge idea among a lot of men that kicking in the nuts is 'dirty fighting'. Why? Probably because they don't want to get kicked in the nuts, and view it with some worry. Why? They've never been in a real fight, don't understand that in real fights getting kicked in the nuts is the least of the worries as compared to, for example, getting one's teeth broken in, or skull cracked, or killed. Taking a shot in the nuts is probably the worst thing that has happened to them (because let's face it, EVERY guy has gone through this), and it shocked/ hurt/humiliated them.

    So...'it's dirty, don't do that, it's WRONG.'

    And this carries over into writing.



    And this is the opposite, more realistic viewpoint. Exactly. Not to mention that the fate of the world is potentially at stake.

    These guys have faced the worst the world has offered and come out on top. They've had to fight uphill battles. They've been kicked in the nuts. They've kicked people in the nuts. Lots (go back on their careers, you'll find it). They've also busted people's bones, which leave people injured and in pain far worse than a nutshot. They've toppled heavy objects on people. They've used weapons against unarmed people. They've gutted people with knives attached to their hands. They've deliberately inflicted pain on people to get information. Etc. Etc.

    The entire idea that they might be a tad bent out of shape that one of them kicked the other in the nuts is beyond ludicrous, especially when they are actually fighting each other with the aforementioned knives on their hands. It's simply dumb. It's ignorant, and badly-considered.

    On TOP of that, the idea that Logan wouldn't be protecting his nuts (this is something even untrained men do, automatically, and Logan being a guy who has been in a gazillion fights, been trained, has kicked people in the nuts, has suffered through the same) is dumb and ill-thought-out.

    The idea that either of them even consider that certain things in fighting are 'dirty' or 'dishonorable'...really? Setting aside the fact that 'nobody made up rules' and 'these aren't kids', these guys have done things like 'attack from ambush', 'kill people who are at their mercy', and 'prep to ensure all aspects of the environment are in their favor in a fight against another person'.

    But a nutshot is dishonorable and 'low-down'.

    Really, it's crappy writing. No other way to look at it.
    Yeah, it's just really looking like those two are reduced to being doofuses right there when years of writing should had them...Not act like that at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by FistofIron View Post
    My roommates recently got a 3D printer and they’ve been making some cool stuff.
    Nice. What kind of things are being made?

  7. #20452
    Mighty Member FistofIron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Twister View Post
    Yeah, it's just really looking like those two are reduced to being doofuses right there when years of writing should had them...Not act like that at all.



    Nice. What kind of things are being made?
    Mainly stuff for dungeons and dragons. A lot of miniatures and stuff for set pieces. They also printed out the skull mask from Death Stranding.

  8. #20453
    Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FistofIron View Post
    Mainly stuff for dungeons and dragons. A lot of miniatures and stuff for set pieces. They also printed out the skull mask from Death Stranding.
    So very nice.

  9. #20454
    Mighty Member FistofIron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Twister View Post
    So very nice.
    A lot of the stuff has been coming out pretty great. Hopefully we get to go to Wasteland weekend this year.

  10. #20455
    Prince of Duckness Beadle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FistofIron View Post
    My roommates recently got a 3D printer and they’ve been making some cool stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by FistofIron View Post
    Mainly stuff for dungeons and dragons. A lot of miniatures and stuff for set pieces. They also printed out the skull mask from Death Stranding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Twister View Post
    So very nice.
    Is that using Hero Forge or something like that?

    I would totally do that if I had the s to get a 3D printer.

  11. #20456
    Mighty Member FistofIron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Is that using Hero Forge or something like that?

    I would totally do that if I had the s to get a 3D printer.
    Hmmm I’ll have to ask them which sites they use.

  12. #20457
    Extraordinary Member Hiromi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,053

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    So, latest Avengers continues the 'Dirtee Fighting' trope.

    spoilers:
    Black Panther and Wolverine are fighting to the death, effectively, over who gets to be host to the Phoenix. Logan is, yes, using claws. Has them in the classic 'claws on each side of Panther's face, middle claw not yet popped' setup. Panther groin-kicks him (how did Logan not see that coming and leave himself that open? Magical dirty fighting!). Then there's a short discussion in the fight with Logan commenting that Panther is 'low-down' for kicking him in the groin - Logan? Really? - and the Panther going on about 'that most dishonorable of blows'. And 'I only resort to such tactics because you entered this fight with murder in your heart.'

    This entire thing has clearly been written by:

    1. A man;
    2. Who has never been in a real fight in their life.

    Fight to the death, and not only is a groin-shot 'dirty' somehow, it's worse than, I don't know, shanking someone? Dishonorable? It's really kind of sad.
    end of spoilers

    Thus endeth the rant.

    This whole storyline has been bleah, no exception here.
    not to mention groin shots don't even really work in fights cause adrenaline overrides the pain, Hell someone like Logan who is all about fight adrenaline probably wouldn't even notice

  13. #20458
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,660

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    not to mention groin shots don't even really work in fights cause adrenaline overrides the pain, Hell someone like Logan who is all about fight adrenaline probably wouldn't even notice
    Agreement. They're of limited use.

    Do they hurt, debilitate, and CAN on occasion put someone down? And by that, also set up stuff? Sure. But guaranteed fight-ender? No way.
    Why Are We Here?, by Pendaran

    "...the Myths Transformed version of the legendarium, in which the Moon is Melkor's attempt to make his own Arda with blackjack and hookers." - Estrecca

    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik Hasta

    "[Kent] Nelson was nearly invariably presented as the guy who, barring the Spectre, made everyone else generally gasp and go "Doctor Fate don't shiv, he balls nasty.", even Superman." - Pendaran

  14. #20459
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,660

    Default

    Beadle, PM full...
    Why Are We Here?, by Pendaran

    "...the Myths Transformed version of the legendarium, in which the Moon is Melkor's attempt to make his own Arda with blackjack and hookers." - Estrecca

    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik Hasta

    "[Kent] Nelson was nearly invariably presented as the guy who, barring the Spectre, made everyone else generally gasp and go "Doctor Fate don't shiv, he balls nasty.", even Superman." - Pendaran

  15. #20460
    Prince of Duckness Beadle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Beadle, PM full...
    It should be a smidgen clearer now.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •