Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    you know, i've never been a fan of zack snyder. not a hater. just never been a fan.

but...................i will say he knocked it out of the park with ZC justice league.

best 4 hours i've spent in a long time.

That's great. It's pretty hopeful to hear of it especially for those who waited for this.

...I mean I honestly have no real interest to watch it (nothing out of hate, just out of my radar for now) but hey, one of those days.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Twister View Post
    That's great. It's pretty hopeful to hear of it especially for those who waited for this.

...I mean I honestly have no real interest to watch it (nothing out of hate, just out of my radar for now) but hey, one of those days.
    i was the same but i watched it because i was doing some editing and i needed something to go on in the background.

all of the issues and problems i had with JW justice league were all but solved.

story flows better.

jokes, the few there are, don't see out of place or forced.

aquaman, flash, and cyborg get more time to be fleshed out.

Steppenwolf was VASTLY improved, both in CGI and personality.

and the final fight scene felt grander and intense.

I’ve heard good things from a number of sources. However, let’s not try and kid ourselves this is the movie we’d have got originally if Snyder didn’t have to pull out halfway through.

There’s no way the studio would have released a 4-hour film in cinemas / movie theatres (sorry - I’ll throw you guys a bone by giving you the option of calling it a movie theatre instead of a cinema, but there’s no way I’m misspelling theatre as well). It wouldn’t happen.

Plus he got to absorb all the fan-hate from the original release and cut/edit any of his scenes that took negative feedback.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    I’ve heard good things from a number of sources. However, let’s not try and kid ourselves this is the movie we’d have got originally if Snyder didn’t have to pull out halfway through.

There’s no way the studio would have released a 4-hour film in cinemas / movie theatres (sorry - I’ll throw you guys a bone by giving you the option of calling it a movie theatre instead of a cinema, but there’s no way I’m misspelling theatre as well). It wouldn’t happen.

Plus he got to absorb all the fan-hate from the original release and cut/edit any of his scenes that took negative feedback.
    This is a good and salient point by my learned friend.

I'm interested in it insofar that it is a very interesting pop culture artifact.

Like, this sort of thing, on this sort of scale, with this sort of level of IP; flatly has never happened before and probably will never happen again given how specific the circumstances surrounding it are. In light of that, I'm very interested to see how it's received and whether Warner Bros feels it was worth the additional millions of dollars they put into it.

Am I interested in the content of the film enough to watch it myself? No. Not even close. My superhero property burnout remains far too extreme.

Marvel had three things in their forward-looking catalogue that I am on record as saying that I will watch: Wandavision (might be weird and interesting), Dr Strange 2 (might be weird and interesting) and Shang Chi (he just has to punch 10,000 dudes in the face and I'll be happy). The first did not deliver for me unfortunately so I'm down to two things of interest and then I'll probably not watch anything else they put out.

Whereas with DC, I am vaguely more interested in what they are doing because it seems less aggressively homogeneous and a bit more loose-y goose-y and open to adapt and change, which I like. But... this film specifically? I probably won't enjoy it so I'll sit it out and continue to not have much of an opinion on it.

As an aside, I would very much encourage people who do watch it to put their takes about it up here. It's a very interesting piece and the reactions of my peers here, as by-and-large highly comic literate people, makes for an interesting data sample.

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Probably going to get some heat for this, but I just finished The Watch (on Amazon, it’s based on some of the Discworld novels) and thought it was a lot of fun. 8/10 for me.

The cast did quite well, the music was fun, Death was great I thought, and the overall story was certainly unique.

There are moments that feel rushed, like an episode or scenes are missing or feel left out, but overall enjoyable. I know the novels (never read these particular ones myself that it’s based on) are quite different and they apparently changed quite a bit, but if you are looking for a fun and quick watch (no pun intended) that’s different from your regular fantasy fair, give it a go.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    Probably going to get some heat for this, but I just finished The Watch (on Amazon, it’s based on some of the Discworld novels) and thought it was a lot of fun. 8/10 for me.

The cast did quite well, the music was fun, Death was great I thought, and the overall story was certainly unique.

There are moments that feel rushed, like an episode or scenes are missing or feel left out, but overall enjoyable. I know the novels (never read these particular ones myself that it’s based on) are quite different and they apparently changed quite a bit, but if you are looking for a fun and quick watch (no pun intended) that’s different from your regular fantasy fair, give it a go.
    Oh right. I forgot this existed.

I am... conflicted. Honestly, my family love the Pratchett books and both my mother and sisters have all already sworn of watching The Watch because it looks like it's making some very questionable choices with the source material.

I did say I'd check out an episode to see what it's like but... I don't think there's much point. The trailers did nothing to make me want to check it out.

I'm glad it's good for non-fans of the books but I think I might be too invested in the original setting and to much of a fan of the specific and clever things that the books do, that I won't be able to be remotely fair to it.

Like, file it under Constantine Syndrome - wherein the film "Constantine," is a perfectly fine action horror film but it is burdened by the fact that it is intended to be an adaptation of the Hellblazer comic series also starring John Constantine. In terms of raw filmmaking, it's fine. In terms of an adaptation, not okay.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 03-19-2021 at 09:43 AM.

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Oh right. I forgot this existed.

I am... conflicted. Honestly, my family love the Pratchett books and both my mother and sisters have all already sworn of watching The Watch because it looks like it's making some very questionable choices with the source material.

I did say I'd check out an episode to see what it's like but... I don't think there's much point. The trailers did nothing to make me want to check it out.

I'm glad it's good for non-fans of the books but I think I might be too invested in the original setting and to much of a fan of the specific and clever things that the books do, that I won't be able to be remotely fair to it.
    Welp.

I watched the first episode.

I called it, I am far too invested in the source material to enjoy this unfortunately. I was left mostly confused and a little (now with more time for it to sink in; extremely) angry.

All throughout, as stuff was happening and my brain was going:

As characters were simplified, timelines were smashed together and the City made a hell of a lot less sense.

I will tag out and will never speak of it again because I will have nothing positive to say.

If you have enjoyed the show, I would advise checking out the books because you will see how wildly different they are and perhaps find that interesting. Also, the books are very good. If you need a point of reference, the stories of the Watch are ordered as:

- Guards Guards
    - Men At Arms
    - Feet of Clay
    - Jingo
    - The Fifth Elephant
    - Night Watch
    - Thud!

The first one is a bit rough around the edges but from Men At Arms onwards the series is stellar and Night Watch is like... one of the best... books? Ever? It's really quite exceptional. And Thud! manages to follow it up and not feel completely overshadowed.

There's technically also Snuff, as the final Watch book, but Snuff is also like the third worst Discworld book and is utterly terrible and not worth reading.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 03-19-2021 at 12:34 PM.

I always thought The Fifth Elephant, given the nature of Discworld, is one of the best titles for anything ever.

I am still yet to read any Pratchett though, much to my shame, particularly as I know I’d love it. When I was a student, every other student at Uni was reading Pratchett so I just childishly abstained.

Extraordinary Member

While we're talking about Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    I always thought The Fifth Elephant, given the nature of Discworld, is one of the best titles for anything ever.

I am still yet to read any Pratchett though, much to my shame, particularly as I know I’d love it. When I was a student, every other student at Uni was reading Pratchett so I just childishly abstained.
    Given what I know of your humour and disposition I am stunned that you've not read any.

Would highly recommend, there's a metric ton of really good books to be had.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

and funny all of you are talking about him.........

Adding to the Pratchett links

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    you know, i've never been a fan of zack snyder. not a hater. just never been a fan.

but...................i will say he knocked it out of the park with ZC justice league.

best 4 hours i've spent in a long time.
    Yeah, I liked it a lot as well. Genuinely interested in the idea of him continuing his ideas with a sequel if it ever comes about.

Let's see what this Falcon + WS is like.

I was disappointed a bunch by where WandaVision ended up going although I still liked it well enough overall. With this one though my expectations are at a low so I shouldn't be disappointed I hope.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie