spoilers:

Remember everyone! Attack one at a time and aim for his sword! Don't surround him or use basic strategy! Mind your manners!
    end of spoilers
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Just to note, this isn't me slagging universities. Necessarily. ^_^ But university labs in Canada are very different animals than the labs in which we work. They're big, open affairs, with room for many people to work, automatically multiple entry/egress points as a factor of being so large, storage far from the working areas, chemicals kept in different areas, etc.

Designing one is NOT the same as designing the other.
    Even in the ones I've been in, they still had at least 2 doors.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Nailed it.

Also, their 'looks good on paper' is often 'in my expert, awesome, highly educated-with-no-practical-experience, massive-ego engineering opinion'. I mean, I gripe about scientists from time to time, but it's about 1000x more easy to work with an annoying scientist than an engineer in a science setting.
    Engineers are really good at designing things that technically work. Unfortunately that does not mean that they work well or in any kind of way other than 'technically, it works'.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Extraordinary Member

Watched the Snyder cut of Justice League the other day. It's an improvement over the theatrical release in most areas, but I also found it to be rather underwhelming.

It's an improvement in that:
    spoilers:

- It expands on Cyborg, Flash, Steppenwolf and Lois as characters which was very welcome, especially since I already liked Cyborg in the theatrical cut.
    - The tone is more in line with Man of Steel and BvS so it feels like there's some actual narrative cohesion between the movies.
    - The League's roles in the final battle are more balanced so it doesn't just feel like Superman could've done everything by himself. This is especially true for Batman who was more or less a whipping boy in the theatrical release.
    - It has better overall character arcs that match up with the events of the previous movies.
    end of spoilers

But I found it underwhelming because:
    spoilers:

- Despite all the improvements it's basically still the same movie just a whole lot longer. I found the previous version to be ok, so this is now an ok movie streched into almost 4 hours. And it's not like it isn't without it's own flaws.
    - Aquaman and Wonder Woman are still just kinda there, except now Aquaman's bits don't really line up with his movie (Mera's brittish in this version). Also, Wonder Woman really didn't need to blow up that one guy and cause some serious property damage in the process, that just stood out as way over excessive force on her end.
    - Martian Manhunter gets a really lame introduction and I'd argue that it actually ruins one of the best additional scenes in the movie.
    - The penultimate scene is cool and all but it's blatant sequel baiting to a storyline I was hoping/expecting to be resolved in this one.
    - I found this version to be drearier than the theatrical one. Which isn't to say that they didn't include some of the better jokes and that I didn't laugh now and again. It just felt more interested in the mythological aspect of the characters, rather than the more human aspects. Also, the colors were still very grey.
    end of spoilers

I'm glad that Snyder got to finish his vision of the film. But ultimately it's still kind of a meh movie.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    Even in the ones I've been in, they still had at least 2 doors.
    Yep. I figure that usually comes automatically, because they're bloody big rooms. Makes sense, right? So I'm guessing people used to putting in multiple doors because 'big room' see a small room and think 'Oh, only needs one door out.'

But no, it's a safety requirement in any kind of decent lab.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Engineers are really good at designing things that technically work. Unfortunately that does not mean that they work well or in any kind of way other than 'technically, it works'.
    "On paper..."
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    What's she talking about.

That was perfect.

Well, they finally finished the scans of All-Rounder Megura. And much like Teppu, spoilers:
    it does not end with the protagonist winning their match against their 'nemesis'. Instead, the protagonist does surprisingly well, comes close, but loses in the end against the guy who put in stupid amounts of work training by comparison to them, AND (in this case) has a natural edge in talent and aggressiveness.

Which I like; I don't think winning that fight was the point.

The hyper-focused nemesis indicates in a conversation afterward that he's going to go fully pro, aim for champion, head overseas where the real money is. Meguru...says he's going pro as well, but because it's fun. He's going to get married, get a job...and become a shoot-fighting champion in Japan, and quit when it's too much.

'All-Rounder' isn't just his fighting style, it seems - it's his perspective on life. ^_^

Also, hyper-cute ending.

Edit: in fairness, warning that the final epilogue has some pretty graphic discussion regarding sex in it. Bit of a surprise, given the rest of the manga, but it's almost a PSA.
    end of spoilers

I endorse this manga. Good art, interesting characters, some comedy, some drama, great sport fights, subversion of standard tropes to boot.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 03-25-2021 at 05:31 AM.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

AAAAGH! My favourite choke (though I do it the 'illegal' way with my fingers in my own sleeve, and my top hand doesn't grab, I just twist with the forearms)!!!

My favourite choke.jpg

Oh, I'm so happy to see that in a manga.
    Why are we here?

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

I have been reading Meguru and likewise enjoying it.

I like that it's about fighting but also not really about fighting. And very nice technical fight scenes and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I have been reading Meguru and likewise enjoying it.

I like that it's about fighting but also not really about fighting. And very nice technical fight scenes and stuff.
    Agreed. Granted, there is a TON of stuff with the fighting, but there's also stuff about life.

And the technical stuff is among the best I've ever seen.
    Why are we here?

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post

spoilers:

Remember everyone! Attack one at a time and aim for his sword! Don't surround him or use basic strategy! Mind your manners!
    end of spoilers
    Less-than impressed by this, will likely pass.
    Why are we here?

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.