The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    The head of the CDC under Trump, Robert Redfield, admitted that he believes the virus was made in a lab in China. This is the guy who ran the CDC, normally considered a leading scientific organization worldwide.
    The issue with that is that it doesn't match up well with the actual DNA work they've done on the virus - checking it out for signs of human 'adjustments'. They haven't found those tell-tales. Like, at all.

EDIT: I'm talking specifically about genetic alteration. I suppose 'studied in a lab, unmodified, and accidentally released' is a possibility, but WHO doesn't seem to think that's likely either.

And the virus is VERY close to one they've found in bats. The current theory is that the difference comes because it jumped from bats to...something?...then to people.

....also what Beadle said. ^_^
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 03-29-2021 at 10:29 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    ...also, what is it with Brits named Piers?
    Our highly entrenched class system is really good at turning out omega level shitheads.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Our highly entrenched class system is really good at turning out omega level shitheads.
    ....sooooo glad my meeting mic is off.

This time. ^_^
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Extraordinary Member

The issue with that is that it doesn't match up well with the actual DNA work they've done on the virus - checking it out for signs of human 'adjustments'. They haven't found those tell-tales. Like, at all.

EDIT: I'm talking specifically about genetic alteration. I suppose 'studied in a lab, unmodified, and accidentally released' is a possibility, but WHO doesn't seem to think that's likely either.

And the virus is VERY close to one they've found in bats. The current theory is that the difference comes because it jumped from bats to...something?...then to people.

....also what Beadle said. ^_^
    This basically confirms that the Scientist that lead the CDC is Anti-Science or at least very ignorant of it. Good thing we now have real scientists in charge.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    This basically confirms that the Scientist that lead the CDC is Anti-Science or at least very ignorant of it. Good thing we now have real scientists in charge.
    Dude said what his boss wanted to hear, I expect...
    Why are we here?

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Continuing my One Piece read through and I'm now at the timeskip and I have a couple of observations.

I think it's quite interesting how tonally different Thriller Bark is when compared to Ennies Lobby which had just preceded it. You go from arguably the second most serious arc, at least in terms of character drama, to a pretty goofy haunted house gimmick story. It still all hangs together and is a ton of fun but it is a massive shift that you notice less when reading week to week.

Also in Thriller Bark, I had forgotten that Luffy technically doesn't beat Moria clean. Moria actually makes a lot of obvious and foolish mistakes due to his own ego and sense of inferiority and even then, Luffy only really survives because of the mast falling on him, rather than the damage of the Jet Shell. It's good choreography that keeps Moria strong, as one of the Shichibukai, despite ostensibly losing to Luffy.

The Impel Down to Marineford War arc is utterly bonkers. The pace of it, the character notes, the sheer way that the world - which was already massive and sprawling - just explodes in every direction. Bringing in dozens of new characters and pulling tons of old ones back to have important roles. Given how close this was to Shaboady, which introduced literally nine other characters with roughly the same build and important of Luffy and Zoro and an Admiral and Silvers Rayleigh, I feel like Oda was really going hell for leather on this one.

While I've not gotten to it yet, I feel like this is why the pace of the upcoming Fishman Island arc is comparatively a lot more languid. In terms of binge reading, we have been just charging for dozens of chapters with barely any respite so I completely get now why the story takes a minute before really getting going after the time skip.

So yeah... it's still a really good series. Shocking absolutely no one.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Continuing my One Piece read through and I'm now at the timeskip and I have a couple of observations.

I think it's quite interesting how tonally different Thriller Bark is when compared to Ennies Lobby which had just preceded it. You go from arguably the second most serious arc, at least in terms of character drama, to a pretty goofy haunted house gimmick story. It still all hangs together and is a ton of fun but it is a massive shift that you notice less when reading week to week.

Also in Thriller Bark, I had forgotten that Luffy technically doesn't beat Moria clean. Moria actually makes a lot of obvious and foolish mistakes due to his own ego and sense of inferiority and even then, Luffy only really survives because of the mast falling on him, rather than the damage of the Jet Shell. It's good choreography that keeps Moria strong, as one of the Shichibukai, despite ostensibly losing to Luffy.

The Impel Down to Marineford War arc is utterly bonkers. The pace of it, the character notes, the sheer way that the world - which was already massive and sprawling - just explodes in every direction. Bringing in dozens of new characters and pulling tons of old ones back to have important roles. Given how close this was to Shaboady, which introduced literally nine other characters with roughly the same build and important of Luffy and Zoro and an Admiral and Silvers Rayleigh, I feel like Oda was really going hell for leather on this one.

While I've not gotten to it yet, I feel like this is why the pace of the upcoming Fishman Island arc is comparatively a lot more languid. In terms of binge reading, we have been just charging for dozens of chapters with barely any respite so I completely get now why the story takes a minute before really getting going after the time skip.

So yeah... it's still a really good series. Shocking absolutely no one.
    I remember the month long break during the timeskip. So much anticipation building up.

Taking a lesbian couple, re-interpreting them as relatives, but retaining all of their intimate scenes so that they come across as gay *and* incestuous? It's beautiful! God bless 90's American dubbing for children.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    This will always be the only Eva dub for me. I hope they'll still be casted for 4.0.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

...also, what is it with Brits named Piers?
    What's wrong with Anthony?
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

our fight nuts would enjoy this.

Has Anyone ever heard of Honkai Impact?

Link One

Link Two
    Last edited by Tami; 03-29-2021 at 06:38 PM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.