This most iconic thing about Space Jam is this song.

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 6: Stone Ocean confirmed for anime, let's fucking go, happy motherfucking Easter!
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 6: Stone Ocean confirmed for anime, let's fucking go, happy motherfucking Easter!
    Time for heroines who get caught masturbating, plankton waifus, and rainbow snails.

Quote Originally Posted by Yun Lao View Post
    Time for heroines who get caught masturbating, plankton waifus, and rainbow snails.
    ...Pardon?
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    ...Pardon?
    Our introduction to Jolyne is when she's sitting in her prison cell complaining about a guard catching her masturbating the previous night. Reportedly, he looked something like Tom Cruise.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Space Jam theme song, The most mashable song ever. name theme song and there's probably a space jam theme mash up of it on youtube.
    Last edited by bruceleegreyhulk; 04-04-2021 at 08:43 PM.
    My Forum check it out

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    Our introduction to Jolyne is when she's sitting in her prison cell complaining about a guard catching her masturbating the previous night. Reportedly, he looked something like Tom Cruise.
    ...And I am reminded why I left the series after Part 4.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    She also comments that she's jealous of snails, because they're an organism that can have sex with anything it encounters. So, even if Jolyne wasn't falsely convicted and sentenced to prison, she'd likely end up in horny jail anyways.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

I mean Part 5 is really good. I would recommend checking it out.

Speaking of which there's a Slam Jam mash up for every Jojo song, because of course there is.

My Forum check it out

Extraordinary Member

One Piece: Good teamwork, a ridiculously impressive feat on Zoro's behalf, a nice potential shift in the main battle and just fun action all around. Kaido will probably need to step up his game now.

Black Clover: The devils are doing a fair job of holding their own against Asta's anti-magic abilities, but he's showing nice progress in using those abilities. So it's kind even right now.

Phantom Seer: Really sad to see this go, but I'm glad it didn't just end with Iori killing the big bad. Even if it's left open-ended how things will go (no flash-forward or anything like that) it's still works as a natural ending since it's the end of the arc with a ending summary of the series added on. Gonna miss it. But that's the harsh environment of WSJ.

Extraordinary Member

I personally have never seen any of the parts, and have no interest in doing so.

Like, I don't think the series is bad or anything like that. I haven't seen it so I can't really judge and tons of people do love the series and there are most likely lots of reasons for that appreciation from the devoted fan base.

It's just that nothing I've read or seen about the series has ever appealed to me. Even the art style doesn't work for me. Again, it's not bad, I can see and appreciate the skill of it. But it just does nothing for me.

Actually I did watch like 13 episodes of... I think it was Part 3 *looks it up* ...it was part 4... I saw like 13 episodes of part 4 because a friend recommended it as one of the better starting points and it just didn't do anything for me.

It's just one of those series that everybody talks about as being one of the greatest of its genre but whenever I look at it I just shrug, acknowledge it's importance and fanbase and then go read/watch something else. Oh well.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    It's just that nothing I've read or seen about the series has ever appealed to me. Even the art style doesn't work for me. Again, it's not bad, I can see and appreciate the skill of it. But it just does nothing for me.
    This sentence is a bit wild to me as a fan of the series. Not that I'm like "the art style is unimpeachable," or anything but, because Jojo has been consistently in circulation since roughly as long as I've been alive, Hirohiko Araki's art style has shifted wildly over the years.

The anime had the very unenviable job of looking at the stuff done in the late 80s, which is very Fist of the North Star adjacent, and then looking at like Part 7 or 8, which is much more heavily influenced by fashion and glamour models and everyone is waaaay less cartoonishly buff, and going "Right, we have to keep the spirit of the original artwork but tweak it enough so when we get to Part 5, when the shift really kicks in, the anime still feels contiguous to previous series,"

And to their credit, they managed to make it feel consistent with some very clever concessions. But yeah, Jojo's art style is quite a wide thing on a spectrum haha.

It's just one of those series that everybody talks about as being one of the greatest of its genre but whenever I look at it I just shrug, acknowledge it's importance and fanbase and then go read/watch something else. Oh well.
    I definitely don't think it's a show for everyone in the same way that like... One Piece or something like that is. Jojo is, as the name would suggest, very odd and is also very different from part to part. It's hard to recommend the show wholesale because it's a very mixed bag in terms of what it wants to do and what the style of it was like at the time it was written.

Like - do you like Fist of the North Star? In which case you will enjoy Part 1 because it's basically the same series but with vampire hunters. Big man learns sunshine kung fu to fight his adopted vampire brother. It's bouncy, very simple and 80s as hell.

Part 2 has some of that FotNS DNA put pivots into expanding what said sunshine kung fu can do and is more about the cleverness of the protagonist rather than the bigness of his muscles. There are also fewer squash matches as the opponents are, by and large, much more powerful than the hero. Big shift there but it's still a singular sort of story with the pillarmen as big bad, so far so shonen.

Part 3 is a monster-of-the-week road trip show with an entirely new and wildly variable battle system, much more complicated gimmick fights and a greater emphasis on comedy. Still quite standard shonen, especially when compared against today, but with interesting variants to it.

Part 4 pivots more to a mystery/thriller based model that is much more about "who is the bad guy/what is actually going on?" and you also start getting Araki being much more creative with his powersets. Again, very different feel to Part 3. It abandons the more globe-trotting elements of the previous entries and sets itself entirely in one locale. Also, aliens at one point for some reason.

Part 5 is a mafia drama with a ragtag crew of misfits getting in over their heads against the most dangerous psychic mafia in the world. It also, for the first time, has effectively zero characters or direct connections to the previous parts. It's also at this point that Araki fully transitions from "big muscle men," to "soft beautiful model boys," as his primary design aesthetic. Larger area covered but it's not a road trip in the same way Part 3 was.

Part 6 is a prison escape lockbox mystery so, ostensibly, an even smaller locale than Part 4 and a very disempowered protagonist who is set up for a crime she didn't commit (perhaps) for unknown reasons so there's a much larger question about who her allies are. Also, for the first time, girls can be the actual main characters now, huzzah!

Part 7 is a cowboy-themed horse race/treasure hunt caper and throws out a ton of pre-established lore due to circumstances. Back to the road movie sort of feel to it, smaller cast but it has the fun that pretty much all the antagonists are present from the offset due to the race setup.

Part 8... man, I still don't think I know how to sum up the current series in a single pithy way. Mystery... family drama... psychedelic... thriller? 8 is definitely the oddest iteration thus far and man... 6 and 7 also get really weird so that is quite an achievement.

So, all of that is to say, Jojo is a lot of different things at different points in it's life. It manages to... just about feel cohesive, but that's mostly through recurring characters (until Part 7) and the "feel" of it. Araki can write different genres but he's very talented at making them feel Jojo-ish. I'm not surprised that you, or anyone else, might bounce straight off it. It's hardly a consistent thing.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 04-05-2021 at 06:42 AM.

Extraordinary Member

So DC Comics is introducing a character based off the Monkey King.

Here's hoping he's as much of an entertaining asshole as the original

The obvious winner won.

Also, next time is Geese Howard vs. Heihachi Mishima.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis