My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Zero MKA View Post
    New MK sucks ass. Acting, except for Kano and kinda Kung Lao, sucks. Fight scenes suck. Story moves along at warp speed with entirely too much exposition. Cole spoilers:
    has literal plot armor, as in he grows armor when he needs it, along with tonfas
    end of spoilers and was completely unnecessary.

The only highlight was my boi and Kano. The opening scene was the best scene in the movie and they gave that away for free.

If you're an MK fan, watch the '95 version. This new version has none of the charm and fun of the original, but has vastly better graphics. Just like the games.
    I dunno, the choreography in the 95' version is better than the 2021 version...
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    I dunno, the choreography in the 95' version is better than the 2021 version...
    I'm going to watch that one this weekend for sure
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    Speaking of Falcon + Winter Soldier, at least he'll never be subject to an interview like this

good times
    this has to be the dumbest interview i've ever seen.

I just got done watching Mortal Kombat. I thought it was pretty good. I had my issues with it but I enjoyed it.

Extraordinary Member

There's a kernal of a point in that interview, about Cap being disconnected from Modern society.

It's just conveyed in the single dumbest way that such a point possibly could be

I feel they got just enough right in Mortal Kombat, aesthetically speaking and performance-wise, that it accentuates what they did wrong all the more so.

spoilers:

- The Mortal Kombat tournament is about the merger of the realms. Except in this movie we don't see why this is important, and it becomes less about being willing to fight and more bearing a special marking that means you are 'chosen'
    - This effectively turns the story from a desperate fight to save Earthrealm into something like The Highlander, where the Kombatants are marked by destiny, and it can pass between people to grant them special powers.
    - Why they decided they needed a story device like this to explain why Liu Kang can throw fireballs and Kung Lao can control his hat becomes apparent because of how purposeless Cole is as a protagonist.
    - Did the studio need to be spotted a normal POV character, with a family, driven to the tournament by circumstance?
    - Because Jax is there, and has a direct connection with Sub-Zero who is responsible for his arms
    - And Sonya is there, who was tracing and expositing the lore
    - Even Kano could have worked well as a villain protagonist. I really enjoyed the actor's perfomance, but, Kano gotta Kano.
    - Cole wears many hats and none of them fit. He's just your everyday man, who is marked as one of the chosen, and is descended from a certain characters, and sucks and has no powers, until he unlocks them which makes him functionally invincible, except against Sub-Zero...a guy who he has thin motivations to go after yet gets the finishing blow on because...why?
    - Shifting Liu Kang and Kung Lao to the roles of trainers and mentors was a move I liked, but I feel both were very underutilized overall
    - Remember that tournament? That's okay, the movie doesn't either. Shang Tsung spends the whole movie cheating and trying to kill the opposition before it even starts. Multiple times. With no consequences.
    - Then at Cole's suggestion at the eleventh hour, Raiden wakes up and realizes he can teleport anyone literally anywhere and nobody thinks this is suss.
    - Scorpion has been reduced to...a summon. And he still can't beat Sub-Zero without Cole's help, a guy who barely knows who he is and can't understand his spoken Japanese
    - I'm rambling and out of order, but what they did to Goro is a crime.
    end of spoilers

Some movies can get away on the strength of their performances, and sometimes the action choreography can create enough of a spectacle to distract from the flaws. However, things still need to happen for a plausible reason, other than the need for an action setpiece. When you're taking the aesthetic of a well-known franchise, these things magnify and matter much more in the spirit of adaptation.

Anywho, this movie left me uncomfortably rustled and a little frustrated.

I haven't seen the new Mortal Kombat movie, but I have seen Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge . Which I like.
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by bruceleegreyhulk View Post
    I haven't seen the new Mortal Kombat movie, but I have seen Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge . Which I like.
    That was pretty badass. I hope we get more animated films. Game wise I’m still waiting on a Shaolin Monks sequel haha.

I'm mixed on Mortal Kombat, I certainly won't say it was a good movie cause lord knows that would be a lie, pacing's a messspoilers:
    if you need a bathroom break feel free to go after they get to Raiden's temple during the training montage, you won't miss much
    end of spoilers, way too much expository dialogue, some of the actors just weren't goodspoilers:
    and they killed off the really fun one in Kano, god they need to figure out a way to bring him back
    end of spoilers some of the characters were utterly wastedspoilers:
    hi Kabal and Mileena, bye Kabal and Mileena
    end of spoilers. the easter eggs where they say "fatality" or "flawless victory" or whatever where straight up cringe worthy. Cole was boring but at least he seemed to be decent with choreography. The plot reason for them getting powers imo was by far the worst part of the movie and harkens back to some of the worse aspects of video game movie adaptations past. On the plus the cinematography was pretty good, fight scenes were pretty well choreographed, Kano was a treat whenever he was on screen and the first act was pretty good while the third act was at least decent.

spoilers:
    supposedly they're making three more of these, hopefully now that Cole's arc is seemingly done he ceases to be the protagonist, Johnny Cage looks to be in the next one, hopefully he's the star.
    end of spoilers
    also
    spoilers:
    Kung Lao just seems destined to have a cool scene and then immediately get **** on no matter which adaptation it is doesn't he?
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Hiromi; 04-23-2021 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    I love JJJ moments like these, I wish his other versions(movie and video game) got more of them

So, looking at the reviews in this thread regarding the Mortal Kombat movie, I think I'm gonna skip it. Was already leaning toward not watching it because they did Johnny Cage dirty by not making him a part in it despite him having a major role in almost every MK-based production except Mortal Kombat: Annihilation (which sucked), Defenders of the Realm (which sucked), and Conquest (which was a prequel based around Great Kung Lao, though it somehow had Scorpion in it).

You know, I'm seeing a pattern here. If you make a production based in the MK mythos and don't have Johnny Cage in a major role, it's probably going to suck.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    So, looking at the reviews in this thread regarding the Mortal Kombat movie, I think I'm gonna skip it. Was already leaning toward not watching it because they did Johnny Cage dirty by not making him a part in it despite him having a major role in almost every MK-based production except Mortal Kombat: Annihilation (which sucked), Defenders of the Realm (which sucked), and Conquest (which was a prequel based around Great Kung Lao, though it somehow had Scorpion in it).

You know, I'm seeing a pattern here. If you make a production based in the MK mythos and don't have Johnny Cage in a major role, it's probably going to suck.
    The reason the makers of the film gave for leaving Johnny out was rather silly. I had some problems with the film but overall I thought it was fun.