Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    *Facepalms*Goddamnit, Kill Bites!
    Last edited by Len Ikari145; 04-28-2021 at 12:00 AM.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    Creative blocks are a bitch. Words don't work, lines don't fit, blah.

Granted, it's possible these things just kinda need time and the right amount of stubbornness, but that hasn't been working out so well for me so far.

For our handful of creatives here, what are your usual remedies for snapping out of these ruts?
    Three possibilities that work for me -

1. Rest;
    2. Switch to something else, be it either the next scene or something different;
    3. Engage in something that gets my brain working again, like reading, watching a movie I've already watched, PBP stuff, whatever.

Then get back to the problem thing tomorrow.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

So, the new Robin came out.

Basic plot outline, none of which has spoilers - Robin fights in a tournament (to the DEATH!) to prove he's the number one fighter around. Already this has raised controversy, because...

1. Killing (even participating in a tournament with such, if he somehow chooses not to do so);
    2. Cass fans are asking 'so, we've been asking for this kind of thing for Cass (solo series, chance to again show she's number one) for years, and you give this to Damian? Also, where is Cass (the actual number one)?'

Compounding this is the fact that (leaked ahead of time) there will be no Shiva, no Richard Dragon, no Bronze Tiger, no actual 'best fighters' in this tournament, possibly because nobody could actually accept Damian being able to beat someone Bruce couldn't beat (and rightfully so, Damian has been demonstrated to NOT be 'Bruce +').

So, in the first issue we find that...

spoilers:
    Three fighters got in by beating Bronze Tiger (explicitly noted as being 'by cheating', whatever that means), beating RICHARD DRAGON (who is this person who beat Dragon?), and paying off Shiva, which is ridiculous on so many levels, Shiva wouldn't take a cash hand-out and would join the tournament for both learning potential and the shits and giggles of killing all kinds of other name-level martial artists.

Also, Constantine Drakon and Connor Hawke are in here - Connor Hawke brought back in the Nu52 as some kind of 'living weapon' of R'as, if I recall correctly, which is kinda the original idea behind Cass, and Connor being setup as the guy to beat. How is Damian supposed to beat either of these two? Credibly?

Also, Damian acts like a total idiot.
    end of spoilers

Already we're off to a silly start. At least Damian only looks mildly white-washed, not fully like he has been under other writers.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Granted, it's possible these things just kinda need time and the right amount of stubbornness, but that hasn't been working out so well for me so far.

For our handful of creatives here, what are your usual remedies for snapping out of these ruts?
    I do one of the following usually.

Take a walk or do some exercise. Try not to think on it and just let the ideas flow through muscles working.

Draw it out, I find drawing a character or a scene, even roughly can help figure out feeling or blocking or whatever.

Tool around with one of my fun, low stakes projects instead to keep the mind working and come back to it later.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Take a walk or do some exercise. Try not to think on it and just let the ideas flow through muscles working.
    There's research showing that changes in the various hormones in our bodies can help/hinder the creative process; I'd need to go back and check, but there are actual reasons WHY people say 'I get some of my best ideas in the shower' (it's true for me as well). One of them has to do with Cortisol, and how when the body is under a brief period of inflammation due to stress/heat/exercise, this triggers changes in the brain.

Just read something about that a couple days back, so I found it interesting that you brought up exercise. ^_^
    Why are we here?

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    There's research showing that changes in the various hormones in our bodies can help/hinder the creative process; I'd need to go back and check, but there are actual reasons WHY people say 'I get some of my best ideas in the shower' (it's true for me as well). One of them has to do with Cortisol, and how when the body is under a brief period of inflammation due to stress/heat/exercise, this triggers changes in the brain.

Just read something about that a couple days back, so I found it interesting that you brought up exercise. ^_^
    I've read similar stuff.

Biochemistry and how your body physically is definitely influences creative thinking.

I've read similar stuff.

Biochemistry and how your body physically is definitely influences creative thinking.
    Yep. We're a soup of chemicals that is basically an algorithm to better recognize and manage threats.
    Why are we here?

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

That is all kinds of screwed up. I hope she's okay.

How about you? How are you feeling, MoR?
    i'm fine. just riding out the side effects.

just had to make sure this girl gets properly vaccinated.

I heartily endorse this product, service and/or message.

I find prevaricating to the point of never getting round to writing a damn thing really neutralises the effects of writer’s block.

I’ve mastered the art, to the extent that some of my hypothetical books are now nearly thirty years old.

I should do a special edition anniversary no-reprint to mark the occasion. Or re-no-print. Or something.

Last edited by bruceleegreyhulk; 04-28-2021 at 10:15 AM.
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Extraordinary Member

So, the new Robin came out.

Basic plot outline, none of which has spoilers - Robin fights in a tournament (to the DEATH!) to prove he's the number one fighter around. Already this has raised controversy, because...

1. Killing (even participating in a tournament with such, if he somehow chooses not to do so);
    2. Cass fans are asking 'so, we've been asking for this kind of thing for Cass (solo series, chance to again show she's number one) for years, and you give this to Damian? Also, where is Cass (the actual number one)?'

Compounding this is the fact that (leaked ahead of time) there will be no Shiva, no Richard Dragon, no Bronze Tiger, no actual 'best fighters' in this tournament, possibly because nobody could actually accept Damian being able to beat someone Bruce couldn't beat (and rightfully so, Damian has been demonstrated to NOT be 'Bruce +').

So, in the first issue we find that...

spoilers:
    Three fighters got in by beating Bronze Tiger (explicitly noted as being 'by cheating', whatever that means), beating RICHARD DRAGON (who is this person who beat Dragon?), and paying off Shiva, which is ridiculous on so many levels, Shiva wouldn't take a cash hand-out and would join the tournament for both learning potential and the shits and giggles of killing all kinds of other name-level martial artists.

Also, Constantine Drakon and Connor Hawke are in here - Connor Hawke brought back in the Nu52 as some kind of 'living weapon' of R'as, if I recall correctly, which is kinda the original idea behind Cass, and Connor being setup as the guy to beat. How is Damian supposed to beat either of these two? Credibly?

Also, Damian acts like a total idiot.
    end of spoilers

Already we're off to a silly start. At least Damian only looks mildly white-washed, not fully like he has been under other writers.
    spoilers:

some notes
    1. The Shiva and Richard Dragon examples are the same fighter. The people she(?) worked for paid off Shiva to ignore the tournament. She then says that she "Only" had to beat Richard Dragon. Which was probably the Ricardo Diaz version from the New 52, not the classic one who can fight on par with Shiva.

2. Killing seems to be an optional thing, as Damian turns down the chance to kill Bane's dad in his qualifier. Also, the end of the issue sees Damian's heart get ripped out, so I'm guessing Death ain't permanent in this location.

end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    spoilers:

Also, the end of the issue sees Damian's heart get ripped out, so I'm guessing Death ain't permanent in this location.
    end of spoilers
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Anime, TV and Movies or just general background noise from the TV.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Zero MKA View Post
    I listen to music and watch different things somewhat related to whatever I'm writing.
    This is my usual go-to to try and get into the zone, but recently that hasn't been clicking. Still, it's tried and tested, so maybe it'll help pick things up when my head's on straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Twister View Post
    I just keep writing ridiculous unimportant scenes of my characters just being themselves.
    This is an exercise I haven't tried before, could be an interesting approach for sure. Might rattle something unique out from the bog of archetypes.

Three possibilities that work for me -

1. Rest;
    2. Switch to something else, be it either the next scene or something different;
    3. Engage in something that gets my brain working again, like reading, watching a movie I've already watched, PBP stuff, whatever.

Then get back to the problem thing tomorrow.
    I'll keep this in mind as well. My problem is uh...getting started, and keeping up momentum. Probably related to 1 and 3, granted. Fix this insomnia, find some inspiration.

I do one of the following usually.

Draw it out, I find drawing a character or a scene, even roughly can help figure out feeling or blocking or whatever.

Tool around with one of my fun, low stakes projects instead to keep the mind working and come back to it later.
    After throwing down some 50 dand pushups, perhaps I've found the other pillar of this problem, gawd damn.

But yeah, not sure what it is that isn't clicking and making this process less involved and fun that it usually is. Still, improving my base condition going into the grind, so simple it might work.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    I find prevaricating to the point of never getting round to writing a damn thing really neutralises the effects of writer’s block.

I’ve mastered the art, to the extent that some of my hypothetical books are now nearly thirty years old.

I should do a special edition anniversary no-reprint to mark the occasion. Or re-no-print. Or something.
    Hell yeah, I'll see you at the No-Prize awards, my guy.

Thanks for the help everyone