Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Is Blue Exorcist good?

I tried to read a bit of in like... I don't know... 2017 or something and just slipped off it. The art was cool, the setup seemed a bit rote but it didn't seem bad. I think it was just the wrong thing at the wrong time sort of.

Worth it? Any strong recommendations of quality?
    I like it.

It has one of the more interesting shounen rivalries between the main character and his brother as it's all about them wanting to be able to help one another but being unable to see where the other one is coming from. The creature designs are all really cool and quite distinct for the series I think. Satan is one of the most antagonistic inner spirit power sources I've seen (quite similar to Sukuna), so whenever his influence starts to affect Rin the situation becomes extremely intense and you kinda understand why so many people are just straight up terrified of Rin. There's less of a focus on super-powered slugfests (though those happens as well) and more of either large scale teamwork, smart application of magic and/or emotional breakthroughs leading to day-saving displays of power (that mostly applies to Rin since his potential power seriously breaks the overall power curve of the setting but it's tempered by his almost crippling inexperience and going through emotional wringers pretty much every arc).

It's not the greatest or most unique of series. But it is consistently solid and has some fun takes on shounen tropes. I recommend giving it another go at least. The last few arcs have been especially satisfying to read.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    I like it.

It has one of the more interesting shounen rivalries between the main character and his brother as it's all about them wanting to be able to help one another but being unable to see where the other one is coming from. The creature designs are all really cool and quite distinct for the series I think. Satan is one of the most antagonistic inner spirit power sources I've seen (quite similar to Sukuna), so whenever his influence starts to affect Rin the situation becomes extremely intense and you kinda understand why so many people are just straight up terrified of Rin. There's less of a focus on super-powered slugfests (though those happens as well) and more of either large scale teamwork, smart application of magic and/or emotional breakthroughs leading to day-saving displays of power (that mostly applies to Rin since his potential power seriously breaks the overall power curve of the setting but it's tempered by his almost crippling inexperience and going through emotional wringers pretty much every arc).

It's not the greatest or most unique of series. But it is consistently solid and has some fun takes on shounen tropes. I recommend giving it another go at least. The last few arcs have been especially satisfying to read.
    Thank ye for the thoughts. I'll keep it in the back pocket in case I need something new to read

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Finally decided to read Invincible.

Good comic. I'm quite impressed.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post

It's an interesting one. It's got some really good bits of writing in it and the art is consistently good or (in my opinion) excellent once Olivier Copiel takes on the book.

I think the thing I like most about it is that stuff actually matters more. Like... there are no retcons, no status quo to uphold and it really goes places. It was incredibly refreshing to read when I was getting burnt out on how weightless the big two felt.

I do hope you enjoy it!

It's an interesting one. It's got some really good bits of writing in it and the art is consistently good or (in my opinion) excellent once Olivier Copiel takes on the book.

I think the thing I like most about it is that stuff actually matters more. Like... there are no retcons, no status quo to uphold and it really goes places. It was incredibly refreshing to read when I was getting burnt out on how weightless the big two felt.

I do hope you enjoy it!
    It certainly turns a lot of tropes on their heads, or ignores them completely. And the story has cohesion, the characters are consistent and logical in their changes and growth, the themes are...very important. And complex.

Art, as you say, is quite good.

I'm enjoying it immensely.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Extraordinary Member

Huh, there's going to be a crossover between A Certain Magical Index and Nier: Replicant & Nier: Automata in the smart phone game A Certain Magical Index: Imaginary Fest.

I wonder if it's because... *jumps to the trailer at the 22 minute mark* ...yup, they're dressing Misaka up as 2B. They know what their audience wants.

Last edited by Dark Soul # 7; 05-05-2021 at 08:14 AM.

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post

Once you're done with that, I recomend checking out the animated series. It's run by the man who wrote the comic, and he's changed some things around because of his increased experience as a writer

Sentai is weird.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"THINK, OZMA, THINK! THE GODS ARE GONE AND WE ARE THE ONLY ONES LEFT! THERE IS NO HOPE FOR HUMANITY! WHAT WILL YOU HAVE AFTER YOUR SMALLER SOUL?"

"You...I’ll still have you, Salem."

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post

"THINK, OZMA, THINK! THE GODS ARE GONE AND WE ARE THE ONLY ONES LEFT! THERE IS NO HOPE FOR HUMANITY! WHAT WILL YOU HAVE AFTER YOUR SMALLER SOUL?"

this scene's been memed harder than any I can think of since The Last of Us 2

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post

The meme's got it wrong. There's not supposed o be a second think after the "Think, (insert name here)".
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    The meme's got it wrong. There's not supposed o be a second think after the "Think, (insert name here)".
    Apparently there is in the comic.

Still wrong tho
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Beadle and other UK residents. This is your reminder to vote today.

Normally I would say that taking part in the democratic process is enough and I won't tell you how to vote.

And, in that tradition I will continue.

But also, Tories out.

Beadle and other UK residents. This is your reminder to vote today.

Normally I would say that taking part in the democratic process is enough and I won't tell you how to vote.

And, in that tradition I will continue.

But also, Tories out.
    And now I wish I were in the UK to vote as well.

...I'll just have to wait to participate in Canada's election, and watch as Canada votes once again for the two parties that don't give shits about the people they supposedly represent.
    Why are we here?