Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    So Texas has 4 of the worst ten BBQs in the States and none of the best ten? Damn. Austin and Dallas presumably get to brag about being mediocre.

And Florida is like a Bad-BBQ-o-meter gauge. At the bottom of the scale you have Miami with great BBQ, at the top you have Jacksonville with terrible BBQ, and Orlando somewhere in between.
    Although some aspects may be broad strokes accurate, it seems that this was more a case of weird metric/data collection lol

Bc they did the whole thing based on TripAdvisor.com average scores

On another topic: 1 day until we revisit ME in remastered form
    Last edited by Postmania; 05-13-2021 at 01:11 AM.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post

Intereeeesting
    who ever made that list needs to come down here and say it.

you don't talk **** about texas Q and expect us to take it.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

DC's Festival of Heroes has Cassandra Cain, Batgirl (not 'Orphan) on the front cover, full-out in her old costume complete with belt.

^_^

Edit: and the writer of Cass's first story in the issue seems to have actually read the original series, because her narrative actually sounds like it used to. O_o Also, she's Batgirl in this story as well. Outstanding.

Edit 2: Cripes, they have old-school Connor Hawke in the issue. What is this?
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 05-13-2021 at 04:25 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post

It's an aggregation of average review scores from TripAdvisor, there's no individual person who made or curated the list.

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post

...out of curiosity, what would happen to such a person?

Edit: *looks at the maps* Not like the difference is huge between 'best' and 'worst' on the maps. Like...3.9 versus 4.2.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 05-13-2021 at 05:48 AM.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    On another topic: 1 day until we revisit ME in remastered form
    I hope it gets more people playing the old multiplayer again (yes, I'm purchasing Legendary despite the lack of multiplayer). I keep seeing the same faces, and too many of them are too busy grubbing for points to actually do teamwork/objectives. Annoying; that costs everyone credits.

...you on Xbox or PS?
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 05-13-2021 at 06:39 AM.
    Why are we here?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    ...out of curiosity, what would happen to such a person?

Edit: *looks at the maps* Not like the difference is huge between 'best' and 'worst' on the maps. Like...3.9 versus 4.2.
    Yeah, but to Cthulhu’s point, there is a rating gap of only 0.49 points between the #1 BBQ in the whole US and the 2nd worst.

And then a further whole 0.22 points between the 2nd worst in the whole US and whatever congealed fossil fuel-based product they’re disguising as BBQ in Anchorage.

That’s quite bad.

Yeah, but to Cthulhu’s point, there is a rating gap of only 0.49 points between the #1 BBQ in the whole US and the 2nd worst.

And then a further whole 0.22 points between the 2nd worst in the whole US and whatever congealed fossil fuel-based product they’re disguising as BBQ in Anchorage.

That’s quite bad.
    What are you saying, Beadle? ^_^

...congealed, fossil fuel product, whooo, does that bring back memories. Sadly, of work, not of crap BBQ. I haven't had BBQ in so long I can't even remember the flavor thank god.
    Why are we here?

So Texas has 4 of the worst ten BBQs in the States and none of the best ten? Damn. Austin and Dallas presumably get to brag about being mediocre.
    Good at lying, too.

"Everything's bigger in Texas," my relatives bellow. Only for me to slap down a photo of Alaska containing 2.5 Texas', and a Moose that weighs 1,600lbs.

Texas screams loudest, to help it sleep at night. Alaska merely watches... and waits. It is my Dead City.

And Florida is like a Bad-BBQ-o-meter gauge. At the bottom of the scale you have Miami with great BBQ, at the top you have Jacksonville with terrible BBQ, and Orlando somewhere in between.
    Can't speak to Florida, but this makes sense based on their news.

That’s quite bad.
    Last time I ate at the 'best' BBQ in Anchorage it was dry, bland, and overpriced.

Also, if you look at TripAdvisor you'll see that the #1, #2, and #3 restaurant are the same place just different locations. The #4 spot is...

A Gyro place.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

I remember Alton Brown saying in his experience that cities known for a certain cuisine often have a lot of meh and bad examples of it, since tourists are looking specifically for it a lot of places can capitalize on it without having to expend effort in it. Finding recommendations from locals is the way to go

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    I remember Alton Brown saying in his experience that cities known for a certain cuisine often have a lot of meh and bad examples of it, since tourists are looking specifically for it a lot of places can capitalize on it without having to expend effort in it. Finding recommendations from locals is the way to go
    Years ago my wife and I were in Pisa. We got lost looking for a heavily-recommended restaurant from Lonely Planet or some such (mainly because my wife, who literally does not understand the concept of geography - no exaggeration - insisted angrily that she could navigate us there until eventually, after we’d walked about five miles, I made her give me the map, much to her annoyance, at which point I saw instantly that she was actually using a map of Florence). By this point we were starving and stumbled across this grubby, understated little back-street restaurant that was full of locals rather than tourists, so we went in.

Food? Amazing.

Another example of my wife’s geographical prowess is as follows.

Me: “I’m going to a meeting in Andover tomorrow.”
    Her: “In Andover?”
    Me: “Yes.”
    Her: “When are you coming back?”
    Me: “Tomorrow afternoon. Why?”
    Her: “You’re going all the way to Andover and back in a day?”
    Me: “Err, yes...?”
    Her: “Wait a minute - where is Andover?”
    Me: “Roughly halfway between Basingstoke and Winchester.”
    Her: “Oh. I thought it was in Germany. Like Eindhoven.”
    Me: *sigh* “... That’s in the Netherlands.”
    Last edited by Beadle; 05-13-2021 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Weird grammar mistake due to changing the dialogue.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Years ago my wife and I were in Pisa. We got lost looking for a heavily-recommended restaurant from Lonely Planet or some such (mainly because my wife, who literally does not understand the concept of geography - no exaggeration - insisted angrily that she could navigate us there until eventually, after we’d walked about five miles, I made her give me the map, much to her annoyance, at which point I saw instantly that she was actually using a map of Florence). By this point we were starving and stumbled across this grubby, understated little back-street restaurant that was full of locals rather than tourists, so we went in.

Food? Amazing.
    This was my experience in both Malta and Sicily. You find the places local people actually go to and avoid the more touristy spots and you find something nicer.

Only downside is Malta has super-aggressive touts out front who are hard to shake off.

Also, it's almost impossible to get bad wine in Austria. Just a tip there. The wines made in the country are really nice and super cheap.

The oft talked about breakfast place up here is probably the only example of a tourist pull that lives up to it (in Alaska anyways).
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Here is a list from Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives of visited restaurants.

This way you can see for yourself if a Restaurant is worth going to. Though not every restaurant in the US or elsewhere is listed.

For example: The Best Restaurants in Houston

and 8 Places You Need to Try On a Texas BBQ Road Trip

As for Alaska: Food in the Last Frontier: What to Eat in Alaska
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.