Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    i'd cop it if you can. minigaming has the core sets on sale and the extra stuff is on there too: extra cards, extra heroes, more enemies etc. the enemies are great too. you can get ninjas, mutated old west gangs, temple dogs, swamp lizard people, and raidens. yes. one of the enemies packs is you fighting a bunch of raidens from MK.

the best ones to get are the boss. here's one i bought the other day.

Well damn, that's impressive.

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    O_o

I will watch this project with interest. I hope they get a good director and art director. The look and feel of that show is so specific, I really hope they nail it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    O_o

I will watch this project with interest. I hope they get a good director and art director. The look and feel of that show is so specific, I really hope they nail it.
    It may be wishful thinking, but I hope SE tries to contact Hironobu Sakuguchi to see if he is interested in contributing to the project since this was his last FF title that he directed and wrote for.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    O_o

Same.

I loved FF9. It was such a weird contrast to 7 and 8 (my first three FF’a) but I really enjoyed the characters and the look (and it was the first time the summons actually felt real and dangerous. Freaking city busters!).

I wonder if it will be a sequel to the game or an adaptation of it.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Ender Geister just reminded me of District 13 (the movie).

Now I must go watch that again.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

This has to be one of the most interesting examples of "it's canon but frankly we're never revisiting this kind of thing ever again" for an expanded universe novel of a franchise.

Because in the main Battletech universe, those characters may as well be considered just gone as they're literally in the middle of nowhere with no real way of returning.

So technically sentient aliens do exist in Battletech, it just really doesn't matter in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    My ideal adaptation of FF9 would be with muppets, but this is the next best thing so I'll give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Twister View Post

This has to be one of the most interesting examples of "it's canon but frankly we're never revisiting this kind of thing ever again" for an expanded universe novel of a franchise.

Because in the main Battletech universe, those characters may as well be considered just gone as they're literally in the middle of nowhere with no real way of returning.

So technically sentient aliens do exist in Battletech, it just really doesn't matter in the long run.
    Aliens in Battletech?

Weird.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    ...probably TMI, but I don't often get a chance to talk about this. ^_^
    I think it's pretty interesting! As someone whose longest offline campaign was about a year long (admittedly a year of meeting several times a week), it's always interesting to hear about that kind of long-term project.

Covid pretty much killed my own tabletop games too, though they're slowly starting to pick back up. I've been playing mostly D&D 5e lately since its simplicity is nice for one-shots, but my offline group is starting to try out Pathfinder's second edition. Aside from that I've been (slowly) working on my own system but development's been going at the speed of a glacier since it was hard to keep my motivation while I wasn't playing.

Aliens in Battletech?

Weird.
    To be fair, Far Country is the only novel that has aliens where their world can only be reached by a misjump from a jumpship. Seeing how misjumps are usually just fatal accidents, it's definitely fair to assume no one knows how to reach to that world safely since the ships are just destroyed after the jump so whoever survives...Well, they'll never see the Inner Sphere ever again.

And again, looks like it's all in agreement that no writer will continue that storyline though it did indeed happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    I think it's pretty interesting! As someone whose longest offline campaign was about a year long (admittedly a year of meeting several times a week), it's always interesting to hear about that kind of long-term project.

Covid pretty much killed my own tabletop games too, though they're slowly starting to pick back up. I've been playing mostly D&D 5e lately since its simplicity is nice for one-shots, but my offline group is starting to try out Pathfinder's second edition. Aside from that I've been (slowly) working on my own system but development's been going at the speed of a glacier since it was hard to keep my motivation while I wasn't playing.
    Good to know it wasn't boring.

I like long games, and so do my players, so that's what we do.

Covid has been brutal on tabletop. Glad to hear that you're starting to get back into it. I hear a lot of good things about Pathfinder (and 5e, both). Didn't know there was a 2e for Pathfinder, though!

And your own system. Based on anything, or straight out of your head? And for what genre?

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Twister View Post
    To be fair, Far Country is the only novel that has aliens where their world can only be reached by a misjump from a jumpship. Seeing how misjumps are usually just fatal accidents, it's definitely fair to assume no one knows how to reach to that world safely since the ships are just destroyed after the jump so whoever survives...Well, they'll never see the Inner Sphere ever again.

And again, looks like it's all in agreement that no writer will continue that storyline though it did indeed happened.
    Weird. O_o

Well, aliens aren't really a big thing in Battletech, so I can't really blame the other authors. Bit of a 'jump the shark' thing, almost.
    Why are we here?

Good to know it wasn't boring.

I like long games, and so do my players, so that's what we do.

Covid has been brutal on tabletop. Glad to hear that you're starting to get back into it. I hear a lot of good things about Pathfinder (and 5e, both). Didn't know there was a 2e for Pathfinder, though!
    Pathfinder and 5e are both ultimately mods for D&D 3.5 I'd say. Pathfinder cut out a lot of its bloat, clarified some of its rules, and ended up with a pretty good system that suffered from many of the same flaws and turned into rocket tag at higher levels.

5e meanwhile simplified the rules a lot, nerfed the magic side of things in part by weakening spells but also by introducing a concentration mechanic, where most of the strong buffs take up 'Concentration', and you can only have one Concentration spell up at a time. Which did a lot to cut down on the god wizards and their fifty layers of invincibility. It also replaced the myriad small numerical bonuses with instead of the idea of "Advantage" and "Disadvantage", where if you have advantage you roll 2d20 and take the highest, and disadvantage you roll 2d20 and take the lowest. This cut down a lot on the on-the-spot math. The idea was to make D&D more open to newcomers and I think it did that pretty well. I find the system a bit simplistic myself, but for one-shots where players need to be familiar with their character almost immediately and want to make a character sheet quickly it works well.

Pathfinder 2e meanwhile branches away from the basis of 3.5. It weakened magic a bit also and made the rules a bit more streamlined. The biggest changes is that it turned away from having different type of actions (full round actions, move action, swift action, etc) in favor of players just having "three actions" that they can do what they want with, with spells taking different amount of actions. I've only played one session so far, but it felt good.

And your own system. Based on anything, or straight out of your head? And for what genre?
    Fantasy, but a bit further than the usual medieval fantasy. I'm aiming for more of an early 1800s Europe technological level.

I'm still fighting a bit on whether I want it to be based on a d20 or a d100. It'll involve obtaining X amount of successes for tasks, which is usually associated with d100. Ultimately that's just a question of math though so I'm working on the generic system around it and I'll decide on what sounds simpler later.

The inspiration for the system came to me when my group talked about... I think it was Anima ironically enough, and one of us complained that they didn't like how they could never be sure what their characters would know. It was really frustrating to them that a lot of RPG books mix common information and stuff very few people know in-setting, which made it a lot harder to get into character. Easier to adjust the numbers after having the skeleton ready.

So I had the idea of creating a system where you make your character using an app that runs you through a choose-your-own-adventure process, giving you the general information that your character would know while you're picking their life path that determines their abilities. It would also make the system have a higher floor in terms of game balance, since even if a new player doesn't know how the system works the life path would make a character for them that's decently strong.

Another motivation is that it would make character creation a lot faster and avoid the "Someone didn't actually make their character before the session." issue, since you can just tell them to go through the app process and have a character ready in 10-20 minutes.
    Last edited by Siriel; 06-24-2021 at 11:12 AM.

Weird. O_o

Well, aliens aren't really a big thing in Battletech, so I can't really blame the other authors. Bit of a 'jump the shark' thing, almost.
    Yeah, it's honestly a debate between fans if it was even necessary since again nobody is coming back and anyone back in the Inner Sphere who are even aware of this may had easily assumed they're dead.

Speaking of Battletech, the game has been enjoyable. I hope to one day salvage an Archer during a contract. I mean, there are better mechs, but I'm an Archer warrior all the way....With maybe a Hu*****ck as my backup.