nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Luffy did the same thing by getting horribly poisoned in Impel Down and surviving.

Also, a vague skim of this series says that one of his abilities is the "Power of Existence," an the ability to twist reality and make whatever he wants to happen happen.

And he's got that Korean Webtoon trope of acquiring "skills" in the manner that video game character does as rewards for beating guys.

So... he's hardly a martial artist in the classic sense. Dude is a reality warping video game character who appears to be on his way to becoming a god.
    difference is while luffy got his high poison resistence from being poisoned near to death and recovering, choi got his from eating poison fish and swimming in poisoned water for centuries. and he wasn't really trying to be immune to poison. there just wasn't anything else for him to eat.

and he doesn't get power of existence until a few thousand years after he ended up in the abyss. he just thought he was training under his goddess and each world was just set up for him to get stronger. he doesn't really unlock it until he throws down with a avatar for half a year.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    difference is while luffy got his high poison resistence from being poisoned near to death and recovering, choi got his from eating poison fish and swimming in poisoned water for centuries. and he wasn't really trying to be immune to poison. there just wasn't anything else for him to eat.
    I'm not sure I see the distinction. Both took in a bunch of poison, survived and then were immune.

and he doesn't get power of existence until a few thousand years after he ended up in the abyss. he just thought he was training under his goddess and each world was just set up for him to get stronger. he doesn't really unlock it until he throws down with a avatar for half a year.
    As I said, I did an entirely cursory skim of it.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

I'm not sure I see the distinction. Both took in a bunch of poison, survived and then were immune.

As I said, I did an entirely cursory skim of it.
    luffy is not immune to poison. he just has a high resistance to it. choi is flat out immune to all poisons. in one part, he runs into a demon restaurant (don't ask), and the chef throws a pot of poisoned soup on him. now the poisons of that realm is toxic enough to brutally kill the native demons of that realm. choi just.........no sells it. i think he even starts to eat the soup since he was hungry.

as a side note, choi gets his power ups mostly by accident or by just coming some kind of realization about how his own body works and how it connects to the abyss. he just figures things out through training and repetition. it's really very interesting.
    Last edited by master of read; 07-15-2021 at 07:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    *reads newest Thor*

I swear, 'Thor is no longer worthy of hammer for Reasons' is fast becoming the new 'Stephen Strange loses his magic and must find new magic' of Marvel writers.

Too soon, guys.
    Right up there with ‘Galactus is kidnapped by the new bad-guy just to show how powerful they are and turned into a living battery’.

How many times?

*reads newest Thor*

I swear, 'Thor is no longer worthy of hammer for Reasons' is fast becoming the new 'Stephen Strange loses his magic and must find new magic' of Marvel writers.

Too soon, guys.
    You brave soul. I avoid anything to do with Thor anymore. They've outright massacred my boy.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Absolutely cracking chapter of Jojolion this month.

I do love it when JJBA gets horror-esq and this is certainly that in spades.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Right up there with ‘Galactus is kidnapped by the new bad-guy just to show how powerful they are and turned into a living battery’.

How many times?
    Yeaaaaah...Marvel feels somewhat lacking in imagination these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    You brave soul. I avoid anything to do with Thor anymore. They've outright massacred my boy.
    Don't read this one. You'll hate it.

spoilers:
    Thor has memory problems. Because he's immortal. -_-
    end of spoilers
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Don't read this one. You'll hate it.

spoilers:
    Thor has memory problems. Because he's immortal. -_-
    end of spoilers
    I haven't touched a Thor comic since Fraction took over.

I think, at least in the past decade or so, Rick Remender is the only one who's done him any kind of justice.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    I haven't touched a Thor comic since Fraction took over.

I think, at least in the past decade or so, Rick Remender is the only one who's done him any kind of justice.
    Similarly for me not purchasing Strange stuff anymore. I read it on scan sites occasionally.

Weird that the best Strange stuff in years is Strange Academy, where he's not even the central character.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

So, To Your Eternity is a pretty odd manga, but not terrible so far. Granted, I'm only partway into it.

Rather like the art, but that's no surprise; it's done by the mangaka who did A Silent Voice, which was...quite good. And hit home on personal levels.
    Why are we here?

Similarly for me not purchasing Strange stuff anymore. I read it on scan sites occasionally.

Weird that the best Strange stuff in years is Strange Academy, where he's not even the central character.
    Isn’t that often the case?

I have repeatedly found that the best Johnny Storm is to be found in Spidey comics.

In FF books he’s generally been given less prominence and less personality than not just Reed, Sue and Ben but also Vic, Franklin and Val.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Isn’t that often the case?

I have repeatedly found that the best Johnny Storm is to be found in Spidey comics.

In FF books he’s generally been given less prominence and less personality than not just Reed, Sue and Ben but also Vic, Franklin and Val.
    That's true. Johnny in FF is often Bland Pretty Boy.

I just remember when we had Strange go for about...oh, 70+ comics in Strange Tales then another 81 in Doctor Strange, Master of the Mystic Arts, then another 19 issues in Strange Tales volume 2, then a bunch of Doctor Strange, Sorcerer Supreme...and they kept the character reasonably consistent, with reasonably consistent abilities (even the Black Magic arc was pretty consistent with how magic had been set up before that, and he then returned to his old sorcery rather than finding a new kind).

These days, Strange changes every time someone comes up with a new miniseries. :P

I guess that's common across comics now. Except for Batman. Though his situation has changed as well, weirdly. Umpteen crises and other stuff, and finally something different.
    Why are we here?

Extraordinary Member

We were so disappointed with the first couple of episodes of Loki (maybe first three? I forget) we just gave up. It was like...Loki In Name Only.

Might force myself to watch the rest. My wife won't - she's disgusted with the whole affair.
    How was it Loki in Name Only?
    Absolutely cracking chapter of Jojolion this month.

I do love it when JJBA gets horror-esq and this is certainly that in spades.
    I hear that part, and potentially Jojo itself, will be ending in a couple chapters

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    How was it Loki in Name Only?
    For me, he basically become a Whedon-esque parody of himself. Lots of attempts at humor in the script, but none of the actual impact he had in the Thor movies. None of the emotion. None of the depth. Also no connection to that depth, given how they set it up.

Was like a copy, to me - a very shallow one.

Mileage may vary.
    Why are we here?

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    I hear that part, and potentially Jojo itself, will be ending in a couple chapters
    That would be a very weird thing to see happen. Quite apart from anything, I'm pretty certain the spell of eternal youth that was cast on Hirohiko Araki is maintained by his creative output.

More seriously though; much like Berserk, JJBA is about the same age as I am so I've always felt quite connected to it. It would be very interesting to see such a long and creatively diverse piece of media just stop. I feel like he'd be tempted to go back unless he started something completely new.