Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yun Lao View Post
    Who knew the series would end with a woman once possessed by Jesus* vs a hungry guardrail.
    fucking love this series.

her also going "I was married once," had me like "and we don't have time to get into all of that,"

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    and loki decided to be more than what was expected. moebius asked a lot of solid questions to loki on ep 1: why do you want to conquer and rule? why do you hurt people? do you enjoy it?

that, combined with learning of his fate, of how the time line works and how truly small he is in the grand scheme of things, could change a guy.
    spoilers:
    Having Sif slap him about a couple of hundred times probably helped too.
    end of spoilers

Also, really trivial and utterly irrelevant and disconnected thing, but did anyone think that spoilers:
    the library room of The Scarlet Kangmortus Tut Who Remains really had the vibe of the library outside the Infinite Corridor in Castlevania, where Saint Germain went to study?
    end of spoilers

Or is that just me?

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    spoilers:
    Having Sif slap him about a couple of hundred times probably helped too.
    end of spoilers
    that can change a guy as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    I agree with you.

He pretty much got the full download of his fate in episode one. Like, 2012 Loki saw Frigga die, Malekith attack, saw Ragnarok (his world die), and then saw the person who hurt him previously (Thanos) kill him and got to see his brother cry over his dead body.

Then he gets told it was always supposed to happen that way.

Thats’s…….probably going to change a guy.
    and loki decided to be more than what was expected. moebius asked a lot of solid questions to loki on ep 1: why do you want to conquer and rule? why do you hurt people? do you enjoy it?

that, combined with learning of his fate, of how the time line works and how truly small he is in the grand scheme of things, could change a guy.
    Problem with this is.

It's a guy who has so little trust in everything, he generally relies on an illusion of himself to get the truth out of things. Instead, Mobius just says "it's true tho" and he immediately changes. It's called "bad writing".
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Well, that's "comics" for ya. Bigger and more bloated your universe gets, the more writers and artists take on new side projects, the more the development slips. This sounds like those cases where a character gets revamped, with a new #1 for their new series. New writing team/editorial just wants veer in a new direction that's quickly set up in the first issue, rather than grind through the development.

Bad writing, probably yeah. Weirdly, I guess I'm so used to that kind of ramshackle bridging from comics, I just rolled with it where the MCU is concerned. It's being exactly the medium it was based on. That kind of stuff started as far back as Iron Man 2 being a set-up for the Avengers as much as an actual sequel to Iron Man.

That said, I'm not even bothering to keep up after Endgame, so I mostly know stuff from hearsay.
    Last edited by Sharkerbob; 07-15-2021 at 07:43 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Problem with this is.

It's a guy who has so little trust in everything, he generally relies on an illusion of himself to get the truth out of things. Instead, Mobius just says "it's true tho" and he immediately changes. It's called "bad writing".
    To be fair, seeing spoilers:
    Infinity Stones treated like Paper Weights
    end of spoilers is gonna rock someone's world, and make them more willing to accept new info

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    Well, that's "comics" for ya. Bigger and more bloated your universe gets, the more writers and artists take on new side projects, the more the development slips. This sounds like those cases where a character gets revamped, with a new #1 for their new series. New writing team/editorial just wants veer in a new direction that's quickly set up in the first issue, rather than grind through the development.

Bad writing, probably yeah. Weirdly, I guess I'm so used to that kind of ramshackle bridging from comics, I just rolled with it where the MCU is concerned. It's being exactly the medium it was based on. That kind of stuff started as far back as Iron Man 2 being a set-up for the Avengers as much as an actual sequel to Iron Man.

That said, I'm not even bothering to keep up after Endgame, so I mostly know stuff from hearsay.
    Only MCU I'm bothering to keep up with is Deadpool... mostly because is seems like Ryan Reynolds apparently stole the costume and wears it as often as he can.

Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Problem with this is.

he doesn't really immediately change. he was still scheming. he just didn't know how big things were getting. so he adapted. he's not a villain anymore but he's not hero. not yet at least.

luffy is not immune to poison. he just has a high resistance to it. choi is flat out immune to all poisons. in one part, he runs into a demon restaurant (don't ask), and the chef throws a pot of poisoned soup on him. now the poisons of that realm is toxic enough to brutally kill the native demons of that realm. choi just.........no sells it. i think he even starts to eat the soup since he was hungry.

as a side note, choi gets his power ups mostly by accident or by just coming some kind of realization about how his own body works and how it connects to the abyss. he just figures things out through training and repetition. it's really very interesting.
    I had some spare time so I read this series. it's only 34 chapters at the moment.

My dude Choi has a martial arts style whose gimmick is; "chi = strength, you gain a tiny amount of chi by throwing a punch," and he's in a environment where he does not age, doesn't need to eat or sleep and doesn't seem to tire, so he literally just throws punches against a rock for centuries and then he's got superhuman stats.

And when he eats the poison you mentioned, his martial arts just convert the poison into chi to also make him stronger with no input required by him. He doesn't even have to meditate or anything.

So... yeah, he trains a lot but he literally has no obligations anywhere else, doesn't need to eat, sleep or rest and has a magic kung fu that just makes him incrementally stronger whenever he throws a kick or a punch.

And he jumped into a mana storm at the start and got made magically more superhuman.

This is not exactly a normal training montage situation. He doesn't even seem to have to try particularly hard and then he becomes a god after thousands of years. If you made Goku completely immortal, eliminated all of his physical needs and gave him random powerups every so often he'd do about the same.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 07-16-2021 at 06:06 AM.

he doesn't really immediately change. he was still scheming. he just didn't know how big things were getting. so he adapted. he's not a villain anymore but he's not hero. not yet at least.
    The change from "I murder people casually" to "but think of all the people who are gonna die, oh noes!" is pretty well immediate.

Also you know, spoilers:
    selfcest
    end of spoilers
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Also you know, spoilers:
    selfcest
    end of spoilers
    What's wrong with that? I'd do me.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    If you don't make out with your alternate universe self when the opportunity arises, can you really be said to be living?

EDIT: Unless it's like your Nazi Universe alternative self or something, in which case beat the **** out of them.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 07-16-2021 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    There can only be one tentacle abomination.

Arx Inosaan

The change from "I murder people casually" to "but think of all the people who are gonna die, oh noes!" is pretty well immediate.

Also you know, spoilers:
    selfcest
    end of spoilers
    Well, if MCU Loki is anything like Norse Mythology Loki, then

spoilers:
    Selfcest isn't really outside of Loki's wheelhouse. He's slept with a Jotunn (possibly a troll), who was apparently part snake and wolf, considering that she gave birth to Jormungandr the sea serpent and Fenrir the giant wolf. He also slept with a stallion in the form of a mare, got pregnant, and gave birth the eight-legged stallion Sleipnir.
    end of spoilers
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis