The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

New Bleach is at least fun and interesting, seeing everyone again, some new faces, etc.

Some irritation at the 'He's deaf but he can read lips so he understands everything we say' crap. -_- Not...limited to this story, of course; happens a lot in fiction. Man, if one is going to write BS about deafness, probably best to just not write about deaf/Deaf people.

But generally, okay, curious to see where this goes.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 08-07-2021 at 09:30 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    New Bleach is at least fun and interesting, seeing everyone again, some new faces, etc.

Some irritation at the 'He's deaf but he can read lips so he understands everything we say' crap. -_- Not...limited to this story, of course; happens a lot in fiction. Man, if one is going to write BS about deafness, probably best to just not write about deaf people.

But generally, okay, curious to see where this goes.
    If a writer wants to write about deafness and its in a world of superhuman powers, they could do a Daredevil and give the person an ability to help them with it, like minor telepathy or something similar so that they can read the minds of the people enough to know when and what they're saying, thus allowing them to be part of a conversation without the 'he's deaf but he can read lips so he understands everything we say'.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

They could. I've read some Deaf people complaining about that kind of thing, and I've read other Deaf people being fine with that as long as everything else associated with being deaf is there. I won't speak to whether or not that's acceptable, it's not really my place.

At least they have him using Sign Language (Nihon Shuwa/JSL, I would guess). Judging from the art, it does look like the character is fingerspelling 'Taka' (hawk) in JSL (edit: my bad, I had thought they use FS more in JSL, as it turns out they don't). Either that or it's an actual sign for 'Hawk'. Don't really know, but he's clearly making a sign that at least has a handshape corresponding to the FS symbol for the 'Ka' sound in Japanese. Points for that.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 08-07-2021 at 09:47 AM.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

All the talk about deafness is surprisingly reminding me of the video game The Quiet Man where the player character is deaf.

...The game isn't good. I'll just leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Twister View Post
    All the talk about deafness is surprisingly reminding me of the video game The Quiet Man where the player character is deaf.

I'll be skipping it, then.
    Why are we here?

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    I'd still put it higher than anything out of Marvel Phase 4.
    Tbh I'd say it's about equal for Black Widow in terms of overall feeling.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    Tbh I'd say it's about equal for Black Widow in terms of overall feeling.
    I... wouldn't go that far at all, considering how heavily Natasha relied on plot contrivance/plot armor in her film. To the point where you've got things literally appearing out of nowhere to save her, that were visibly non-existent in the scene prior.

At the very least with Suicide Squad that seemed to be relegated to "just Harely for one specific scene".
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Twister View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    I'll be skipping it, then.

Here's a video on the game...

The title of the video tells you what they think about it.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    I... wouldn't go that far at all, considering how heavily Natasha relied on plot contrivance/plot armor in her film. To the point where you've got things literally appearing out of nowhere to save her, that were visibly non-existent in the scene prior.

At the very least with Suicide Squad that seemed to be relegated to "just Harely for one specific scene".
    Oh I mean for the overall product, where almost none of the character beats meant much to me. To the extent that during some scenes that were supposed to be serious I wasn't sure if they were a joke. I pretty much only engaged with the movie on plot/action grounds.

I also didn't really find it funny for the most part although it was pleasant.
    -Stephen McCranie

Oh I mean for the overall product, where almost none of the character beats meant much to me. To the extent that during some scenes that were supposed to be serious I wasn't sure if they were a joke. I pretty much only engaged with the movie on plot/action grounds.

I also didn't really find it funny for the most part although it was pleasant.
    The only time I laughed was with Weasel. The rest was kinda just "oh I see what they were going for", but yea... see your point comparing my investment to Black Widows; though... I was totally 100% behind King Shark lol
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Suicide Squad was fun, but not very good I think. Still, worth a watch.
    If it's worth a watch and is fun, wouldn't that qualify it as at least good lol?

Edit: Though that's assuming bad is the next rung down the ladder and not, okay....which is more understandable, I guess.
    Last edited by KingofPie; 08-07-2021 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KingofPie View Post
    If it's worth a watch and is fun, wouldn't that qualify it as at least good lol?

Edit: Though that's assuming bad is the next rung down the ladder and not, okay....which is more understandable, I guess.
    Nope. I find the song Barbie Girl ‘fun’. Doesn’t mean I think it’s good.

There are plenty of terrible films I’ve enjoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by KingofPie View Post

Yeah I just think it's alright.
    -Stephen McCranie

Actually really enjoyed Suicide Squad, an example of what a good director like Gunn can do if the studio just stays out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Actually really enjoyed Suicide Squad, an example of what a good director like Gunn can do if the studio just stays out of the way.
    The only thing I'd knock Gunn for is the need to have multiple songs playing so loud it's difficult to focus without getting enraged that they're there. I don't care how much you paid to use the song. No. Bad James Gunn.

Arx Inosaan