1. #23716
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    9,505

    Default

    New Bleach is at least fun and interesting, seeing everyone again, some new faces, etc.

    Some irritation at the 'He's deaf but he can read lips so he understands everything we say' crap. -_- Not...limited to this story, of course; happens a lot in fiction. Man, if one is going to write BS about deafness, probably best to just not write about deaf/Deaf people.

    But generally, okay, curious to see where this goes.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 08-07-2021 at 09:30 AM.
    Why Are We Here?, by Pendaran

    "...the Myths Transformed version of the legendarium, in which the Moon is Melkor's attempt to make his own Arda with blackjack and hookers." - Estrecca

    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik Hasta

    "[Kent] Nelson was nearly invariably presented as the guy who, barring the Spectre, made everyone else generally gasp and go "Doctor Fate don't shiv, he balls nasty.", even Superman." - Pendaran

  2. #23717
    Give me your SOUL! The Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Darkest recesses of my mind
    Posts
    3,753

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    New Bleach is at least fun and interesting, seeing everyone again, some new faces, etc.

    Some irritation at the 'He's deaf but he can read lips so he understands everything we say' crap. -_- Not...limited to this story, of course; happens a lot in fiction. Man, if one is going to write BS about deafness, probably best to just not write about deaf people.

    But generally, okay, curious to see where this goes.
    If a writer wants to write about deafness and its in a world of superhuman powers, they could do a Daredevil and give the person an ability to help them with it, like minor telepathy or something similar so that they can read the minds of the people enough to know when and what they're saying, thus allowing them to be part of a conversation without the 'he's deaf but he can read lips so he understands everything we say'.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

  3. #23718
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    9,505

    Default

    They could. I've read some Deaf people complaining about that kind of thing, and I've read other Deaf people being fine with that as long as everything else associated with being deaf is there. I won't speak to whether or not that's acceptable, it's not really my place.

    At least they have him using Sign Language (Nihon Shuwa/JSL, I would guess). Judging from the art, it does look like the character is fingerspelling 'Taka' (hawk) in JSL (edit: my bad, I had thought they use FS more in JSL, as it turns out they don't). Either that or it's an actual sign for 'Hawk'. Don't really know, but he's clearly making a sign that at least has a handshape corresponding to the FS symbol for the 'Ka' sound in Japanese. Points for that.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 08-07-2021 at 09:47 AM.
    Why Are We Here?, by Pendaran

    "...the Myths Transformed version of the legendarium, in which the Moon is Melkor's attempt to make his own Arda with blackjack and hookers." - Estrecca

    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik Hasta

    "[Kent] Nelson was nearly invariably presented as the guy who, barring the Spectre, made everyone else generally gasp and go "Doctor Fate don't shiv, he balls nasty.", even Superman." - Pendaran

  4. #23719
    Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,492

    Default

    All the talk about deafness is surprisingly reminding me of the video game The Quiet Man where the player character is deaf.

    ...The game isn't good. I'll just leave it at that.

  5. #23720
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    9,505

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Twister View Post
    All the talk about deafness is surprisingly reminding me of the video game The Quiet Man where the player character is deaf.

    ...The game isn't good. I'll just leave it at that.
    I'll be skipping it, then.
    Why Are We Here?, by Pendaran

    "...the Myths Transformed version of the legendarium, in which the Moon is Melkor's attempt to make his own Arda with blackjack and hookers." - Estrecca

    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik Hasta

    "[Kent] Nelson was nearly invariably presented as the guy who, barring the Spectre, made everyone else generally gasp and go "Doctor Fate don't shiv, he balls nasty.", even Superman." - Pendaran

  6. #23721
    JUST DO IT?!?! Postmania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    I'd still put it higher than anything out of Marvel Phase 4.
    Tbh I'd say it's about equal for Black Widow in terms of overall feeling.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

  7. #23722
    The Tentacle God Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Dead City of R'lyeh
    Posts
    20,803

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    Tbh I'd say it's about equal for Black Widow in terms of overall feeling.
    I... wouldn't go that far at all, considering how heavily Natasha relied on plot contrivance/plot armor in her film. To the point where you've got things literally appearing out of nowhere to save her, that were visibly non-existent in the scene prior.

    At the very least with Suicide Squad that seemed to be relegated to "just Harely for one specific scene".
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

    Arxiros "Arx" Inosaan | Inanna

  8. #23723
    Give me your SOUL! The Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Darkest recesses of my mind
    Posts
    3,753

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Twister View Post
    All the talk about deafness is surprisingly reminding me of the video game The Quiet Man where the player character is deaf.

    ...The game isn't good. I'll just leave it at that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    I'll be skipping it, then.


    Here's a video on the game...

    The title of the video tells you what they think about it.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

  9. #23724
    JUST DO IT?!?! Postmania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    I... wouldn't go that far at all, considering how heavily Natasha relied on plot contrivance/plot armor in her film. To the point where you've got things literally appearing out of nowhere to save her, that were visibly non-existent in the scene prior.

    At the very least with Suicide Squad that seemed to be relegated to "just Harely for one specific scene".
    Oh I mean for the overall product, where almost none of the character beats meant much to me. To the extent that during some scenes that were supposed to be serious I wasn't sure if they were a joke. I pretty much only engaged with the movie on plot/action grounds.

    I also didn't really find it funny for the most part although it was pleasant.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

  10. #23725
    The Tentacle God Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Dead City of R'lyeh
    Posts
    20,803

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    Oh I mean for the overall product, where almost none of the character beats meant much to me. To the extent that during some scenes that were supposed to be serious I wasn't sure if they were a joke. I pretty much only engaged with the movie on plot/action grounds.

    I also didn't really find it funny for the most part although it was pleasant.
    The only time I laughed was with Weasel. The rest was kinda just "oh I see what they were going for", but yea... see your point comparing my investment to Black Widows; though... I was totally 100% behind King Shark lol
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

    Arxiros "Arx" Inosaan | Inanna

  11. #23726
    Astonishing Member KingofPie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    Suicide Squad was fun, but not very good I think. Still, worth a watch.
    If it's worth a watch and is fun, wouldn't that qualify it as at least good lol?

    Edit: Though that's assuming bad is the next rung down the ladder and not, okay....which is more understandable, I guess.
    Last edited by KingofPie; 08-07-2021 at 02:20 PM.

  12. #23727
    Prince of Duckness Beadle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,081

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KingofPie View Post
    If it's worth a watch and is fun, wouldn't that qualify it as at least good lol?

    Edit: Though that's assuming bad is the next rung down the ladder and not, okay....which is more understandable, I guess.
    Nope. I find the song Barbie Girl ‘fun’. Doesn’t mean I think it’s good.

    There are plenty of terrible films I’ve enjoyed.

  13. #23728
    JUST DO IT?!?! Postmania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KingofPie View Post
    If it's worth a watch and is fun, wouldn't that qualify it as at least good lol?

    Edit: Though that's assuming bad is the next rung down the ladder and not, okay....which is more understandable, I guess.
    Yeah I just think it's alright.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

  14. #23729
    Extraordinary Member Hiromi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,220

    Default

    Actually really enjoyed Suicide Squad, an example of what a good director like Gunn can do if the studio just stays out of the way.

  15. #23730
    The Tentacle God Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Dead City of R'lyeh
    Posts
    20,803

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Actually really enjoyed Suicide Squad, an example of what a good director like Gunn can do if the studio just stays out of the way.
    The only thing I'd knock Gunn for is the need to have multiple songs playing so loud it's difficult to focus without getting enraged that they're there. I don't care how much you paid to use the song. No. Bad James Gunn.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

    Arxiros "Arx" Inosaan | Inanna

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •