Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    *Checks* Yeah, preview shows italics in Scars, so that's the revised one. Thank goodness.
    Neat. Now I can convert it to audio, and listen at work. :V

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    Neat. Now I can convert it to audio, and listen at work. :V
    I would expect Black Iron is also the revised version, though there was less to revise in that one. ^_^
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

I would expect Black Iron is also the revised version, though there was less to revise in that one. ^_^
    Re-writes, or, like, new material added? I remember the physical copy had bad formatting for some reason.

Re-writes, or, like, new material added? I remember the physical copy had bad formatting for some reason.
    For Scars, I got in there pretty hard - there were editing errors, and my writing style has changed. I didn't add any scenes or anything, but I edited the heck out of it.

Black Iron required a lot less work, but I did tighten up the writing, changed some stuff. Mostly structure, word choices, sentences getting replaced, etc.

They're both the same material, but better (I feel). And without the gross editing errors that plagued Scars (like 'forgetting the italics', so a character's thoughts were indistinguishable from the writing around them, which made reading it very awkward at times, I'm STILL annoyed at the company for that).
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

For Scars, I got in there pretty hard - there were editing errors, and my writing style has changed. I didn't add any scenes or anything, but I edited the heck out of it.

Black Iron required a lot less work, but I did tighten up the writing, changed some stuff. Mostly structure, word choices, sentences getting replaced, etc.

They're both the same material, but better (I feel). And without the gross editing errors that plagued Scars (like 'forgetting the italics', so a character's thoughts were indistinguishable from the writing around them, which made reading it very awkward at times, I'm STILL annoyed at the company for that).
    That's good. And yeah, I was kind of surprised at how they just released it that badly bungled. I guess, being a smaller company, they just didn't think the costs of fixing it for another round of physical prints wasn't worth it? Or whoever was overseeing it just didn't care.

You ever publish anything else yet? I remember you once said you had these yearly stories you did for your wife you were considering making into an anthology.

That's good. And yeah, I was kind of surprised at how they just released it that badly bungled. I guess, being a smaller company, they just didn't think the costs of fixing it for another round of physical prints wasn't worth it? Or whoever was overseeing it just didn't care.
    That. They didn't even send me the proofs to check beforehand. First I saw of it was the released one.

You ever publish anything else yet? I remember you once said you had these yearly stories you did for your wife you were considering making into an anthology.
    Still working on that. I had a novel arrive all the way up to the final cut at Baen, but that's as close as I've gotten.

Still doing the yearly stories. ^_^ I could put them into an anthology, absolutely, and I'm considering that (would be self-published). Well, two different anthologies. But for my 'written to be hopefully published', I took a break from writing for a couple of years. I"m back at it, and now I'm basically rewriting my longer stuff, seeing if I can get it picked up by an agent. If not, I'm seriously considering just going with releasing some stuff electronically.

We shall see.

I'm off for now!
    Why are we here?

That. They didn't even send me the proofs to check beforehand. First I saw of it was the released one.
    Nuts.

Still working on that. I had a novel arrive all the way up to the final cut at Baen, but that's as close as I've gotten.
    Aw. Still, that's farther than most get.

Still doing the yearly stories. ^_^ I could put them into an anthology, absolutely, and I'm considering that (would be self-published). Well, two different anthologies. But for my 'written to be hopefully published', I took a break from writing for a couple of years. I"m back at it, and now I'm basically rewriting my longer stuff, seeing if I can get it picked up by an agent. If not, I'm seriously considering just going with releasing some stuff electronically.
    I was going to say, yeah, self-published e-books really seem to be the way to go if trad pub just isn't going anywhere.

We shall see.

I'm off for now!
    Good luck with it all!

I had a bad time getting anything done throughout 2020, and I've been trying to claw my way back through out this year, with spotty success. Finally back on a longer work recently myself, so we'll see how that goes.

Later!

Agreed. It's not fair, for developing countries.

But such studies don't take into account the growing damage and cost of Climate Change, and the fact that after a point, 'profits' shouldn't be driving us over the cliff. Because that's what's happening. It doesn't matter if it's the most efficient method if it's driving us into the ground. And it's those developing countries, unsurprisingly, who are also facing the brunt of the Climate Change damage.

Also, the studies often carried out by the old and gas industries themselves, or sponsored by them (always check to see where the money is coming from) in some way.

The oil companies are also known for blocking and suppressing sustainable energy.

http://priceofoil.org/thepriceofoil/clean-energy/ <- Yes, this is an anti-oil site, but it's pretty easy to check and verify their claims.

https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-53640382

https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...energy-198957/ <-- throw this on as well - it's 2013, but that's recent.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...r-than-others/ - Here from 2020.

More efficient and cheaper - The Canadian government subsidizes Canada's oil industry to the tune of 18 billion dollars when it's a 100 billion dollar industry. So a big chunk of the profits...

And even outside of climate change, there are the spills, the disasters, the poisoning of native lands, the poisoning of water supplies, etc.

And the other forms of energy keep getting cheaper. People used to say that that electrical will never be viable. Then more efficient - and cheaper - solar panels started coming out, using different materials. There's now a whole hell of a lot of research going into building batteries that don't use rare earths, which is promising, as well as other methods for storing electricity. And other physical methods of generating electricity on top of wind, water.

Combine ALL of these methods, and maybe we're getting somewhere.

I mean, Denmark is just using wind power. Granted, Denmark isn't exactly a big country with a big population. And they have that lovely coastline. But using current technology, they're getting close to 50% of their power from wind alone.

And then there are the societal changes. Do we NEED to use as much energy as we do (*cough*bitcoin*cough*)?

Had we seriously started on sustainable stuff back in the 70's, given the massive advances in other areas, would we really, really be having the same kinds of problems now? The developing countries could have been benefiting from that, as well. Assuming we weren't dicks about it, and if we had have made a shift because we were taking global warming seriously, I suspect we wouldn't force them to continue to use oil.
    I think the biggest issue is that the companies with a vested interest in not losing business and profits, are in charge of researching how to lose business and profits.

Yeah, I'd throw rocks at the food industry in general, not just animal agriculture. ^_^
    You leave me and the meat I get with my own two hands out of this. Reeee!

Though I've definitely cut back on the amount of meat I eat in general, if for no other reason than I've grown to dislike the taste of farmed/slaughterhouse meat (like ground beef and pork) and the stuff that's not (that I can't get myself) is expensive.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Different Timeline, Same Results, Eh Sigma?
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post

Different Timeline, Same Results, Eh Sigma?
    What was that last one from? MvC3?

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

What was that last one from? MvC3?
    The sequel actually, Marvel vs Capcom Infinite.

Sigma's VA does such a good job in that game. He also watches MvCi tournaments from time to time which is neat.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    The sequel actually, Marvel vs Capcom Infinite.

Sigma's VA does such a good job in that game. He also watches MvCi tournaments from time to time which is neat.
    LOL, I totally forgot about that one, even though I watched a whole video about it a while ago. :V

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Extraordinary Member

Huh, DC revealed the Tim Drake is bi*. Neat

* Well, he's okay with dating a dude at least. I presume Bi because he's dated girls in the past, but he could be gay

Extraordinary Member

The new Bleach chapter is great! I did not expect it to set up an new Hell themed arc! Let's go!!!

spoilers:
    The prospect of old allies and enemies coming back as denizens of hell as more of Soul Society's darkness is revealed is such a cool premise.

Kazui having an unnerving connection of hell and odd understanding of how to get there is damn intriguing as well. Ichika being able to see the cleansed hell hollows is probably more of a general thing with her being a kid and the whole idea of children being able to see things adults can't. But it's all a really cool way of including the kiddos into this arc.

I also like how Urahara and Mayuri trying to one up each other has given Soul Society a bunch of new technology. That's funny as hell. Same with Rukia being an old lady who kinda understands the new tech but not quite and is really into soap operas.

The new vice captains are all cool as well, looking forward to seeing more of them.
    end of spoilers

Bleach is back and I'm very happy.