Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    I mean, this is why every President has been saying, "Oh, we're gunna bring all our troops home!" and then doesn't, because the countries made a Jenga Tower of military dependencies.
    Compounded by the exiting forces leaving behind a whole bunch of equipment that’s basically just too expensive to transport home, so the Taliban come rolling into Kabul and Kandahar atop American and British MRAPs etc.

See also IS in Iraq for details of a previous example.

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Compounded by the exiting forces leaving behind a whole bunch of equipment that’s basically just too expensive to transport home, so the Taliban come rolling into Kabul and Kandahar atop American and British MRAPs etc.

See also IS in Iraq for details of a previous example.
    Great. Why learn from past mistakes, when you can have an excuse to keep that military budget inflated.

Extraordinary Member

I'll do my best to live up to your tepid indifference!

Order of the Stick is so good at the punchlines.

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Congratulations given by the Bat-family to Nightwing for doing something amazing for society. I like Cass's.

Attachment 112702
    What’s the context?
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    What’s the context?
    Spoilers follow.

spoilers:
    Following Alfred's death, Nightwing came into a ton of money (left to him in Alfred's will). He's effectively a billionaire. So he decides that being a billionaire is dumb - good for him - and puts all of the money towards very targeted charity work in the city of Blüdhaven, where he hangs out and fights crime.

So he holds a press conference as the newly noted 'Richest man in Blüdhaven', explains all of this, and states that the first thing he's going to do is simply eliminate homelessness in the city. Period.

"To begin, our foundation aims to work with the city to ensure no one is living on the streets by the end of this month."

"Mr. Grayson, a lot of those people have problems beyond homelessness."

"Yes."

"So why start there?"

*Dick hangs his head.*

"Simple. Because it's getting colder."

He goes on to talk about how he has watched the poorest and most vulnerable people blamed and punished rather than being helped, and wants to change that. And how he hopes this will turn the city around (gives some reasons).

Then finishes by stating he's basically going to be targeting (after housing) access to employment, prisoner rehabilitation, public transport, free renewable energy, health care, and a guaranteed living wage.

Then that's the end of it, and we get the scan I showed followed by a phone call from Bruce.
    end of spoilers

It's actually a really good scene, in all. ^_^ Making me consider starting to read Nightwing.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 08-18-2021 at 10:32 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Extraordinary Member

New Dragon Ball Super is out.

spoilers:
    Vegeta's new form is less impressive that I'd hoped, beyond the eyebrowless design that is, and he predictably takes another L.
    end of spoilers

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

It's actually a really good scene, in all. ^_^ Making me consider starting to read Nightwing.
    He's a good guy. :V

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    He's a good guy. :V
    I appreciate his point of view. ^_^
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    New Dragon Ball Super is out.

spoilers:
    Vegeta's new form is less impressive that I'd hoped, beyond the eyebrowless design that is, and he predictably takes another L.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Given that he just recently created Ultra Ego, I think it's reasonable to assume that the form's currently incomplete, much like how Goku's Ultra Instinct -Sign- was before it was perfected into the true UI.
    end of spoilers
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    spoilers:
    Given that he just recently created Ultra Ego, I think it's reasonable to assume that the form's currently incomplete, much like how Goku's Ultra Instinct -Sign- was before it was perfected into the true UI.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Probably. That doesn't help that it's not a very impressive first showing, and another defeat in Vegeta's record.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Probably. That doesn't help that it's not a very impressive first showing, and another defeat in Vegeta's record.
    end of spoilers
    Vegeta will always be Vegeta.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Once made a joke that Vegeta took over Yamcha's job as the guy who eats losses to showcase the opponent as a strong threat or how dire the situation is...And I'm pretty sure it's no longer a joke really.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

Marvel's What If episode 2: God damn, how good is T'Challa's diplomacy stat?

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Spoilers follow.

spoilers:
    Following Alfred's death, Nightwing came into a ton of money (left to him in Alfred's will). He's effectively a billionaire. So he decides that being a billionaire is dumb - good for him - and puts all of the money towards very targeted charity work in the city of Blüdhaven, where he hangs out and fights crime.

So he holds a press conference as the newly noted 'Richest man in Blüdhaven', explains all of this, and states that the first thing he's going to do is simply eliminate homelessness in the city. Period.

"To begin, our foundation aims to work with the city to ensure no one is living on the streets by the end of this month."

"Mr. Grayson, a lot of those people have problems beyond homelessness."

"Yes."

"So why start there?"

*Dick hangs his head.*

"Simple. Because it's getting colder."

He goes on to talk about how he has watched the poorest and most vulnerable people blamed and punished rather than being helped, and wants to change that. And how he hopes this will turn the city around (gives some reasons).

Then finishes by stating he's basically going to be targeting (after housing) access to employment, prisoner rehabilitation, public transport, free renewable energy, health care, and a guaranteed living wage.

Then that's the end of it, and we get the scan I showed followed by a phone call from Bruce.
    end of spoilers

Yeah, that makes sense. Dick’s never struck me as ‘wants tons of money’ guy.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie